“Can not get a bad meal here!”
Review of Cocolores

Cocolores
Ranked #3 of 37 Restaurants in Montezuma
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Open for lunch 12:00-4:00pmHappy hour 4:00-6:00pmDinner 6:00-10:00pmAbierto almuerzo 12:00-4:00pmHappy Hour 4:00-6:00pmCena 6:00:10:00pm
Encinitas, California
“Can not get a bad meal here!”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

We ate here 5 or 6 times in our 2 week trip. Could not find anything on the menu that was not amazing. Max does a great job and is very talented.

Thank you for taking such good care of us. We miss you guys :)

• Visited January 2014

• Hebrew first
Birmingham, Alabama
“Like a Chili's with better atmosphere”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

My partner and I went here after reading great reviews both here and on a local tourist site. The tourist site proclaimed it 'the best restaurant in Costa Rica.' It is definitely not that.

Expect a fun atmosphere, indifferent staff, food on par with any chain restaurant in the states, and prices that are about 50% more than they ought to be. And don't get the ceviche. It's weird.

For roughly the same price, you can go slightly out of town to Playa de los Artistas and have a truly exceptional meal in a similar, but way better atmosphere.

• Visited February 2014
Vancouver, Canada
“Excellent Food & Service”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

One of the best meals we had in CR. We took advantage of their two for one drinks and ordered mojitos, strong and made perfectly. For appetizer we ordered the mahi-mahi ceviche-to die for :).
Then for the main entry we had the curried shrimp with coconut sauce. Best curry ever, just enough spice with a bit of a bite along with their ginger sauce, we enjoyed every bite.
We also shared a tiramasu for dessert-also to die for.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank coco-nut59
Walnut Creek
“Great ambience, service and food”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Our waiter was charming, the food (ceviche) was unique and the dressing on the hearts of palm & avocado salad was the bomb!

Visited December 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
“I ate at Cocolores almost every night while in Montezuma”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I have been renting a home in Costa Rica the past several winters to escape the cold in North Carolina (not that it gets that cold in NC, tho) during December and January. As such, I always sample the local cuisine and do not cook in the rental home as I cook just about all my meals at home in NC and want to enjoy the time away. Out of 50 or so nights in Montezuma, I must have eaten dinner at Cocolores at least 35 times. And each dinner was outstanding!!!!! Not only is the food fresh, well prepared, cooked to order, and have a local flair, you receive great attention from the owner (Massi), the US born bartender (Lucas), and local waitstaff. As I understand, the cooks in the kitchen have been turning out the same delicious meals for the past 8-10 years or so and have the preparation down to a science. My food was always prepared within 15 minutes (maximum) and was neatly organized on the plate that sometimes was accompanied by its own homemade wooden place mat.

The ambience is typical of the local restaurants in that the restaurant has a roof but is open air. If you are lucky enought to get their early before the crowd, you can enjoy an ocean front view and when the sun goes down you can still hear the sound of the waves crashing against the rocks and shore. During the high season, you may want to call ahead to reserve a table so you do not get turned away.

Now for the food. Cocolores boasts a nice assortment of chicken dishes, pasta, local fish (including specials depending on what the local fisherman have caught that day), various meat entrees, shish kabobs, and their special salads, which come with their secret recipe salad dressing. I ate chicken most of the time along with the seafood soup entree and various pastas. Their chicken is prepared numerous ways from plain grilled to their porticini mushroom sauce platter that is about the tastiest thing I have eaten in a long time. Although I usually prefer brown rice over mashed potatoes, I could not resist substituting the potatoes for the rice as they were worthy of accompanying any Thanksgiving dinner. If you have any room for dessert, order the Tiramisu--it is better than any Tiramisu I have had in the States.

Great food, great ambience, great service, all at a fair price. You cannot go wrong choosing Cocolores.

• Visited December 2013