“Amazing Food!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Bakery Cafe
Ranked #10 of 36 Restaurants in Montezuma
Cuisines: Cafe, Central American, Costa Rican, South American
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Austin, Texas
“Amazing Food!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

Probably the best meal we had all trip (arguably ever). We had the Consado del Pascado. It was SOOOO good. They also have amazing Costa Rican coffee.

Visited August 2012

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“new management - now awful!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

We went to this place after reading the Lonely Planet review. It is clearly under new management and absolutely awful. There were no baked goods to be found, when I ordered a bottle of water, the waiter told me they didn't have any but he would run to the store and get some, which he did. We saw at least two more food runs for our (very simple) orders. The food took forever, came out one meal at a time, and was wrong. My empanadas were burnt. My son ordered pancakes with syrup. When they came out with jam, we asked for syrup. The waiter pointed to the jam and said "that's the syrup." I speak Spanish so this wasn't a language issue. There are so many good and cheap place in Montezuma - Soda La Naranja, Soda Las Delices - there is no reason to go here!

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank AM_Bairs
Bonsall, California
“Spider monkeys”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

The food and juices were fresh and refreshing> I believe this is were we saw the antics of the spider monkeys in the bakery's garden.

Visited September 2011
Great Neck, New York
“stay away from baked goods”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

It's not really fair of me to rate this restaurant as I did need not eat there but I feel I must let you know why. We were looking for a place to get dessert one night and figured what could be bad about a place called The Bakery Cafe? Well we went inside to look at the desserts in the glass case and I saw something very small moving around the doughnuts, then saw even more around the other desserts- lots of tiny bugs, maybe ants, crawling all over. Needless to say we ran out and instead opted for the gelato down the block. I know its hot there and just because of the location near the beach there might be more bugs than usual, but then have a refrigerated case that seals. I'm sure the food may be good but I wasn't about to find out!!!

Visited July 2012
Carrboro, NC
“Good, inexpensive coffee”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

There were so many choices to eat in Montezuma that we only had coffee here, but it was very good and very reasonable. The menu looked like it had good vegan choices as well. We did see capuchin monkeys here our first night in Montezuma.

• Visited June 2012