“a place to eat and linger....” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 33 Restaurants in Montezuma
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
“a place to eat and linger....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

loved the location, the food and the fact that we could linger on the beach... a must-do in Montezuma!

Visited October 2011

Austin
“They could be the best.......”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

The food in both Montezuma and the entire stretch of Santa Teresa/Play Carmen are limited at best. So don't set your standards to high. Our best meals have been in sodas (and the magical pork tamales smoked in banana leaves we got from a cab driver while we were drinking beer with a local guide).

With that low standard set, Playa de los Artistas was fantastic. We started with a "carpaccio" of what was fish (I think in his instance it was dorado). The fish was fresh, and so lacking seasoning that I just couldn't believe it. Had I been given some citrus, salt or anything to pull the flavor of the fish, it would have been delightful. It was a total waste of the fish, as well as the money. We also ordered grilled fish for 2......while the presentation was lovely, and I like my fish simple, this was over the top BLAND. 1/8 a teaspoon of salt and a lime would have worked perfect on this grilled fish, but they chose to cover it in unseasoned olive oil?????

The side dish was an attempt to roast the local white potatoes found everywhere in the region. They were undercooked, under seasoned, and oily. While the location is lovely, the food is not actually not very good. But they have potential to be the best in the area, if the owner/chef would learn to just season his food......

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
NRH
“The BEST!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Unlike anything I've ever experienced..laid back....food was 5 star...on the beach...they hand write the menu...I told my wife" This is where I'm going to write my book!"

Visited June 2012
Alexandria, Virginia
“Fantastic find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed in Montezuma for three nights; we went to Playa de los artistas on the second night and immediately knew we would be returning for the third night! The food is on par with any nice restaurant I would go to in the U.S. The chef definitely has a mediterrean feel. The restaurant itself is really cozy too, right on the beach (great to watch the sunset). The menu changes nightly, which is great. Also, the entire menu is handwritten and in Spanish, so the servers come over after you have drinks and explain each dish. Being a server myself, I thought this was a really great touch, showing that they really know the food.

• Visited July 2012
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Wow, amazing food. The prices are higher than most places in Montezuma, but it is still very reasonable and well worth it for the quality! Definitely make sure you have a meal here.

Visited June 2012