“We saw 2 Quetzals :)”

Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“We saw 2 Quetzals :)”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

After only seeing the Quetzal for a brief second at Curi-Cancha (which is a really, really great reserve!), I wanted to try my luck at another reserve, so we headed to Monteverde. I avoided Monteverde the first time because I had heard it was more crowded and it was, but we did see 2 Quetzals. I highly recommend going with a guide because you will learn so much more about the surroundings and have a better chance at finding the elusive birds. Our guide was Esteban Mendez Vargas (phone: 506-8685-5982; email: mendezguia@hotmail.com). Esteban spoke great English and had and amazing eye and ear for birds. I really enjoyed our tour with him. Monteverde has more primary forest than Curi-Cancha since it sits at a higher elevation and is beautifully shrouded in moss. The trails are really well maintained. If you are looking for just primary forest check out Monteverde. If you want a mixture of forest (and less tourists), go to Curi-Cancha. Both have great wildlife.

• Czech first
  • Hebrew first
KlamathFalls, OR
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Please don't go!”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

The road to this place is dirt for endless kilometers and badly rutted. The people of Monteverde don't want you there, since your presence spoils the natural ambiance of the forest.
Yes, it's pretty and the climate is wonderful.
But you also use up natural resources and contribute to growth and crowding.
If you absolutely insist on going take a bus. Don't drive.

1 Thank jsdive
Fort Lauderdale
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great time in the clouds”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Awesome walk along the mountains in the clouds. Make sure you bring a jacket and a poncho because you will get wet from the clouds. Bring a camera for the fantastic views and wonderful orchids and other natural plants.

Visited March 2013
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“The tour helped bring alive the forest!”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

This was beautiful and peaceful. I took a tour with another couple,which I would recommend to really understand how the plants and animals work together to thrive - they don't just make for beautiful photo's. I also enjoyed an easy and safe walk around the park by myself, which is always lovely as a female solo traveller. Read more and see my photo's on http://imstillalivemom.wordpress.com/2013/04/19/costa-rica-nature-monteverde-volcano-arenal-and-tortuguero/

Sydney, Australia
76 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 115 helpful votes
“pretty peaceful”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Just some lovely paths-i didn't have a guide so probably didn't see as much as others but I just loved ambling along and listening to the forest

1 Thank Sue L