“Zipline and waterfalls awesome in wet season, horses treated well”

Adventure Park and Hotel Vista Golfo
Ranked #1 of 2 Miramar B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 26, 2010

Golfo Vista is great, went there with a family of 4 and it was everyone's highlight of a 10-day trip to Costa Rica. By far the best zipline I've ever done, great course, scenery, and 25 lines! With the early start, rainy season was no problem. Swimming in a small pool between two rushing waterfalls is an adventure to be remembered. The guides are very experienced and friendly and add to the fun.

The horseback ride was great, too. Mostly up a dirt 4WD road but no cars encountered by us. The horses ride in a pack, which is a different experience from the usual trail ride where they're head to butt. It's nice for socializing with other travelers. We got to trot quite a few times and a few horses were even up to a canter once. The horses know where the climbs, flats, and downs are and pretty much go at their own comfortable pace.

The horses are well cared for and well-fed. They look like the typical horse we saw in Costa Rica, a little skinnier than the US steed but so are the cows, goats, people, roads, and just about everything else down there. They're only ridden once a day, there's a strict weight limit, and they stay below 1000m elevation. Compared to some horses I've ridden in Colorado who are fed like crazy and ridden twice or more a day at 3000m I would say they have it off pretty well.

Our room was very spacious, clean, and comfortable. The hotel, restaurant, and horseback 4.5 stars, the zipline 5 stars. The overnight package deal with 3 meals is an incredible value.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed August 24, 2010

Thank you Barbara for a wonderful and personalized experience. We have done canopy rides elsewhere, but none as wonderful and with such great service as yours. The staff and the meal were perfect. Thank you for making another memorable highlight of our trip to CR.

Sergio and Michela

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2010

I have taken people to this place over the past 7 years, I have personally flew through the jungle with my family here 9 times. My daughters and friends all love the adventure Barbara and Dietmar have created for us to enjoy. As a 30 year Firefighter, I have looked at most of the safety aspects of a variety of canopy tours in Costa Rica. Vista Golfo has the safest gear, the staff is highly trained, and the terrain here is so beautiful, with the two rappels over the waterfalls it is a must see. I have traveled to Costa Rica for the last 18 years, and for the past 8-9 years I make this a permanent stop on my travels. Thanks Barbara and Dietmar for one helluva great tour. Hank Raymond

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 16, 2010

We had booked a Golden Package (dinner, room, breakfast, five-hour zipline tour, and lunch). We had no idea what to expect since the prices were so reasonable. But I can tell you that this was a very special weekend—one that we will never forget.

My wife, my two boys (ages 11 and 15) and I arrived after lunchtime on July 3. We were warmly greeted by Barbara, the owner and Martin, the manager. After we got settled in our room, we had a snack in the restaurant and enjoyed the most magnificent vista that seemed like it went on for forever!

Afterward, we took a walk around the property and enjoyed the perfect weather and the scenery that the “finca” had to offer. We were even fortunate enough to catch a blue jay, a small toucan, a “pizote” and several other birds and animals on our walk. After our walk, my wife and I just relaxed poolside while the boys took a long swim in the clean cold spring-water pool at the hotel.

Dinner was excellent--as well as was the service we received and the atmosphere. After dinner, the boys played on their computers. I could even check my emails and surf the net with the free wireless connection.

Our room was a family suite with double rooms separated by a wall. We truly appreciated the cleanliness and comfort that the room provided. And we all slept like a log!

We were up early so as to not miss our delicious breakfast before our tour. And what a tour it was!

We mounted our beautiful horses in the corral, and were on our way. The 45-minute trip to the zipline starting platform was very enjoyable for everyone.

None of us had ever been on a zipline tour before, and to tell you the truth, my wife was hesitant because of her fear of heights. But she rode the ziplines like she’s been doing them all her life! The guides took such good care of us. They helped my wife, my children and me in such a friendly way. We felt very safe the whole trip. Also, the views were unbelievable, and we saw so many different kinds of plants we hadn’t ever seen before. The boys and I even went into the natural waterfall pool during our rest-stop. Needless to say, the zipline tour was the most amazing adventure we have ever had.

We were met at the end by a van, driven back to the hotel, and served a large and delicious typical Costa Rican lunch. Once again, the food, the views, and the service were outstanding!

We packed up and left knowing that we would be back again. Thank you Barbara for treating us like family and leaving us with lifelong memories!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank alduqui
Reviewed August 5, 2010

My father and I went on a recommendation of a guest we met a another hotel. They were right. It was worth the trip. Beautiful drive to Miramar and to the Hotel. The zipline was fantastic wish I had a helmet camera to have video of the beautiful waterfalls and me flying over them. We deiced to take the 4x4 just because we have shown horses for many years and my dad was a team roper for many years. When you have experience on horses its not fun riding a trail horse. They are trained to follow in a line and that's pretty much it. So for us the 4x4 was great. Now I have read some complaints about the horses by other people. yes the horses look skinny, but you are not considering the breed of the horses Like the Baroma bull that are there in the area they are a strong but skinny breed. They are not quarter horses. (stalky and stout) They are small but strong. These horses have plenty of food and water and are looked after well. The fierier was there when we got up in the morning. Everyone was brushed and saddled.
The hotel is somewhat remote so if you plan on going I suggest it to be a few night stay, enjoy the zipline, the quad riding and the nature trails. They are beautiful. The pool was gorgeous, fresh stream water circulates through the pool.
As of now I see this as more of a bed and breakfast. with al full time chef. The owner was talking about expanding and adding more rooms. But I am sure it is down the road.The staff was some of the best people we came across. above and beyond great , nice and sweet!
Beds could be updated. but not bad.

Reviewed July 31, 2010

We came to Costa Rica for the outdoor adventures, and we did several, but this was the ultimate! We've done ziplines in other countries, but this one surpassed every other one on every level.

The adventure park is a bit of a drive from where we were staying in Puntarenas, but it was well worth it. There are several tours there to choose from. We chose the one that seems to be the most popular - horseback ride and 25 cables over waterfalls. I'm not sure I even have the words to describe how wonderful this tour was, and it was by far our best experience for our entire trip to Costa Rica.

We have done horseback riding in many places, and we also did a horseback riding tour in another part of Costa Rica (near Quepos). This was an excellent operation, run very professionally, with lovely, well trained horses. We had a rather quiet, slow ride up the mountain through the forest, which was a nice way to enjoy the beautiful views. There were some nervous non-riders with us, and the guides did a great job of helping them. We didn't have any opportunities to gallup, but that seems to be normal around here for horseback riding tours, as it was the same in Quepos. The horses were a small, friendly breed, so even the people who had never been on horses before felt comfortable.

The horseback tour took less than an hour, and then we started the zip lines. This was the most fun we had on our entire trip! The lines take you right over the huge rushing waterfalls! There are two places where you go rappelling over the falls, and a rest stop where you get to swim in the most refreshing pool under a waterfall. The guides are so well trained, and take such good care of you, you never feel at risk at all.

We've done zipline tours before, but nothing came even close to this place in terms of the safety, the fun, the friendliness and competence of the guides, and the beauty of the surroundings. I would highly recommend this place to anyone visiting Costa Rica.

We did not stay at the hotel, but we ate in the restaurant and the meal was the best we had for our entire stay in Costa Rica. We were staying at an all-inclusive where the food was just mediocre so this was a real treat for us.

1  Thank HesterD
Reviewed July 30, 2010

My wife and I experienced Adventure Park during our recent visit to the Puntarenas region of Costa Rica. If traveling in Costa Rica, this is one of your MUST during your visit. It is the complete package ... beautiful views, fun course, great food and very well-trained staff. Also, the experience was made truly unique when we had the opportunity to ride the horses for approx. 40 - 45 minutes to our starting point up in the mountain. The horses are beautiful and very-well maintained (if you read the review a few down from here, the person has NO IDEA what she is speaking about when it comes to horses -- she did write she was a "novice," therefore, she should have ridden the four-wheeler instead -- sorry, but I just hate to see someone give a negative score for inaccurate information."

As stated, the entire zip line course is over waterfalls which is absolutely beautiful. And one of the runs was almost a 1/4 mile long! We also had the option to swim at the base of one of the waterfalls half during the trip -- truly breath taking and refreshing.

If you're going to be traveling anywhere between San Jose, Arenal and the western coast, we highly recommend going to Adventure Park to experience the best zip line experience in Costa Rica ... you won't be disappointed!

Robert & Tara

P.S. We did not stay at the hotel ... we only did the horse back riding, zip line and post-zip line dinner (great food!).

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Miramar
Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica
0 mi away
Hacienda Sassenberg
Hacienda Sassenberg
#1 of 5 in Miramar

Been to Adventure Park and Hotel Vista Golfo? Share your experiences!