“Best zipline in the world”

Adventure Park and Hotel Vista Golfo
Ranked #1 of 2 Miramar B&B and Inns
Newbury Park, California
“Best zipline in the world”
Reviewed July 31, 2010

We came to Costa Rica for the outdoor adventures, and we did several, but this was the ultimate! We've done ziplines in other countries, but this one surpassed every other one on every level.

The adventure park is a bit of a drive from where we were staying in Puntarenas, but it was well worth it. There are several tours there to choose from. We chose the one that seems to be the most popular - horseback ride and 25 cables over waterfalls. I'm not sure I even have the words to describe how wonderful this tour was, and it was by far our best experience for our entire trip to Costa Rica.

We have done horseback riding in many places, and we also did a horseback riding tour in another part of Costa Rica (near Quepos). This was an excellent operation, run very professionally, with lovely, well trained horses. We had a rather quiet, slow ride up the mountain through the forest, which was a nice way to enjoy the beautiful views. There were some nervous non-riders with us, and the guides did a great job of helping them. We didn't have any opportunities to gallup, but that seems to be normal around here for horseback riding tours, as it was the same in Quepos. The horses were a small, friendly breed, so even the people who had never been on horses before felt comfortable.

The horseback tour took less than an hour, and then we started the zip lines. This was the most fun we had on our entire trip! The lines take you right over the huge rushing waterfalls! There are two places where you go rappelling over the falls, and a rest stop where you get to swim in the most refreshing pool under a waterfall. The guides are so well trained, and take such good care of you, you never feel at risk at all.

We've done zipline tours before, but nothing came even close to this place in terms of the safety, the fun, the friendliness and competence of the guides, and the beauty of the surroundings. I would highly recommend this place to anyone visiting Costa Rica.

We did not stay at the hotel, but we ate in the restaurant and the meal was the best we had for our entire stay in Costa Rica. We were staying at an all-inclusive where the food was just mediocre so this was a real treat for us.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HesterD

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 30, 2010

My wife and I experienced Adventure Park during our recent visit to the Puntarenas region of Costa Rica. If traveling in Costa Rica, this is one of your MUST during your visit. It is the complete package ... beautiful views, fun course, great food and very well-trained staff. Also, the experience was made truly unique when we had the opportunity to ride the horses for approx. 40 - 45 minutes to our starting point up in the mountain. The horses are beautiful and very-well maintained (if you read the review a few down from here, the person has NO IDEA what she is speaking about when it comes to horses -- she did write she was a "novice," therefore, she should have ridden the four-wheeler instead -- sorry, but I just hate to see someone give a negative score for inaccurate information."

As stated, the entire zip line course is over waterfalls which is absolutely beautiful. And one of the runs was almost a 1/4 mile long! We also had the option to swim at the base of one of the waterfalls half during the trip -- truly breath taking and refreshing.

If you're going to be traveling anywhere between San Jose, Arenal and the western coast, we highly recommend going to Adventure Park to experience the best zip line experience in Costa Rica ... you won't be disappointed!

Robert & Tara

P.S. We did not stay at the hotel ... we only did the horse back riding, zip line and post-zip line dinner (great food!).

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed July 28, 2010

My partner and I were taken to Adventure Park by two good friends who moved to Costa Rica several years ago. They had been talking about how great both the restaurant and activities were, and we wanted to see if it lived up to their boasting. It definitely did!

Not only was the manager very helpful and welcoming (I can't remember her name), but all of the staff were focused on making sure we had a fantastic time. We rode the ATVs but my friends had ridden the horses before and said both experiences were great.

We didn't stay at the hotel, so I can't give any feedback about the facility or amenities.

I have a lot of friends who are planning to visit Costa Rica, and I'm telling all of them they don't want to miss this great experience.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank curtissteinhoff
Tahlequah, Oklahoma
Reviewed July 25, 2010

I,too, recently booked a zipline excursion with Adventure Park and had the choice of riding a horse or taking a 4x4 ride to the beginning of the zipline. I am definitely a novice horseback rider, as are probably most of the ziplining guests to Adventure Park. As we stood on the balcony which overlooks the corral and has a breathtaking view of the Pacific Ocean beyond Punta Arenas, we watched as the tour guides saddled about 20 horses. Several of our group chose to take the 4x4 ride, rather than the horses. I was among the 19 who had chosen to ride a horse. The tour guides sized us up and asked if we we had ever ridden a horse before and then assigned the horses to each of us. I thought my horse looked like a pretty nice horse, but of course, what do I know? I was the last guest to leave the corral,with a guide bringing up the rear on a horse which was startlingly skinny. Now, the first part of the journey to the beginning of the zipline wasn't terrain that I had expected. I had expected a trail ride and we were walking our horses up a steep concrete road that was a bit slick that morning. After that the roads were still extremely steep and many places were tough for the horses to walk due to the extremely rocky conditions. As I said, I am a novice horseback rider, but I did not feel many of the horses were in good enough condition to be carrying riders up such steep and difficult roads.
As far as the ziplining went with Adventure Park, I have told EVERYONE it was AWESOME! I can't imagine having a better ziplining adventure anywhere!!! The guides made the adventure just that, AN ADVENTURE!!! It was truly an experience of a lifetime. Having said that, I feel Adventure Park could omit the horseback riding portion of the excursion and go totally 4 x 4 and not lose any business.
The hotel is a 1.5 star at the most, with a nice restaurant facility. It has beautiful grounds including a swimming pool and great views of the Pacific. We did spend the night. The beds in our rooms were doubles, with one of the rooms being very musty and had lots of ants. They all needed updating, but given the locality and the small size of the hotel, I don't imagine updating is cost effective for them at this time.
I, too, have pictures of horses. The saddled horse without a rider is the same horse the guide is on in the next picture. Take a look at them and decide for yourself if this last horse in the corral should have been ridden by ANYONE. You be the judge. I have always heard, "A picture is worth a thousand words."

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank rogersla
Delaplane
Reviewed July 21, 2010

Barbara and her staff make folks feel totally at home, safe and welcome.
As a "loing in the tooth" horse person I was very interested in the horseback rides.
The horses appeared to be well groomed and managed, feet trimmed and ready for mountain riding. Like their counterparts in endurance riding, they are built for hauling people and things up the mountains., I talked with Barbara about a dental solution for one horse who had a medical problem, but these mounts are steady and healthy and given good rest and nutrition. I will definitely be back for the rides and the zip lines!
Arbormont...

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank arbormont
Costa Rica
Reviewed July 19, 2010

I returned to Hotel Vista Golfo for the third time this month. As usual, I found the accommodations more than adequate, the food excellent, the staff helpful and pleasant, and the adventure we chose -- a horseback ride up the mountain, and the 25 cable descent criss-crossing a mountain stream with 11 waterfalls -- absolutely amazing. I have been riding horses for over 50 years, and worked in a Texas stable as a teen, and have several years' experience riding in Costa Rica, where the breed of horses is smaller and skinnier than those I was familiar with, so the horses here at Hotel Golfito were not a surprise to me. Both times that I have ridden them, my mount was comparatively good. I was surprised to read the recently entered venomous report, which found everything at this resort far worse than I did. I suspect there was a strong personal bias to be so absolutely negative about a place that the overwhelming majority find to be excellent. I hope it doesn't dissuade others from going there.

• Stayed July 2010
1 Thank NewYorker73CostaRica
Bastrop, Texas
Reviewed June 15, 2010

We did not stay at this hotel but booked a huge part of our trip around this awesome zip line tour that we found on the internet. We were glad we did!!!! All 3 of us, (wife, daughter age 13, and myself) had an absolute blast! My wife was very nervous but the guides set us all at ease and she was yelling, screaming and having a great time. The horseback ride to the zip lines was also very nice. The sites are amazing!!! We were offered many zip line tours in other parts of Costa Rica but held out for this this one and boy was it worth it. I would do it again today if I could!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Max B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Miramar
Vista Las Islas Hotel & Spa
Hotel Lomas del Volcan
#9 of 57 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Hotel Cipreses Monteverde Costa Rica
Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica

Been to Adventure Park and Hotel Vista Golfo? Share your experiences!