“Fun Zipline, clean rooms but a little disorganized”

Adventure Park and Hotel Vista Golfo
Ranked #1 of 2 Miramar B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 21, 2014

We stayed over night on March 10th and ziplined on March 11th.
First off, the guides were extremely friendly, helpful and had our children's safety in mine. However we were a little disappoint as we were put in a group of about 35 other people, since their bus had shown up late (they were to start at 9am, us 11am)

I was originally told our zipline tour would start at 9am, but the next day I was told 11am. In all fairness I had requested 11am when I had booked, but I didn't know that the request was granted. We had breakfast at 7am so we had a lot of time to kill, we walked the grounds and swam in the pool.

However, the guy at the desk said it would be much better for our family (kids 13,9 &7) to go at 11am as there was only us and 6 other people and the 9am slot had about 30 people. This ment our children would get extra help when needed and the experience would be better with less people. I completely agreed with him. However, that didn't happen, the bus with the 30 + people showed up over 1 hour late and then they put all of us together - so 40 people or so. Yes, they provided about 10 guides, however, when we got to the zipline area they didn't have helmuts or gloves for my kids, hense another 45 min wait. Once the ziplining started for our family I felt like we were rushed through as "we needed to catch up to the group"
I understand that the bus being late was not the actual Adventure Park's fault, however I think they should have sent my family and the other 6 people at 9am and made the group of 30 go at 11am. I know our experience would have been much better. Not sure why the bus driver could not have called the Adventure Park letting them know about the late arrival time - everyone in Costa Rica had a cell phone.

We had booked the Golden Package and stayed overnight in villa 21, it was clean, neat and a little outdated but that wasn't a big deal. Beautiful view of the sunset from the villa. This included dinner & breakfast.

I would be curious to know if anyone else - 30 people from Windsor, Ontario that were staying in Tamarindo for a destination wedding - got sick from the food.
The Ziplining package includes lunch, so we had a late lunch (around 2:30pm) needless to say our family was starving since we had breakfast at 7am and nothing in between. Anyway, 4 out of 5 of us had beef or chicken along with the rice, beans and pasta salad. Later that night when we arrived back in Tamarindo 4 of us starting feeling sick and by the next morning we all had diarrhea. I can't say for sure that we got it from the food, however we never ate anywhere else in that 24 hr period and I think it was more then a coincidence that the 4 of us that ate the meat got sick. This lasted for a number of days...
I suggest that Adventure Park makes sure they are handling food properly as I'm not sure what the standard is in Costa Rica compared to Canada. This could also be attributed to having to serve lunch to 40 people after ziplining - hense the disorganization. At the time, the food did taste well, but obviously was not!!!

All in all, I would go ziplining again there, but would insist on having a much, much smaller group. I really wish I had asked for a refund of some sort as we certainly did not get what was promised to us - smaller group!!! I have ziplined in Mexico, Jamaica & Hawaii and the largest group prior to this was 12.

Room Tip: Room 21 was for 5-6 people, 2 bathrooms and a fantastic view!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed March 11, 2014

Let me start out by saying that I have traveled quite extensively around the world and have great experience with many different cultures. I also have never left a negative review regarding anything. This experience changed everything. I was traveling with my 14 year old daughter and we were looking forward to staying at Hotel Vista Golfo and participating in zip lining and horseback riding. We arrived at approximately 8 pm, and I swore I had to be at the wrong place. I drove down a long narrow dirt road with little to no lighting. I finally turned around because I did not see any resemblance of an entrance or hotel. I drove 8 miles back to a gas station where I asked an attendant if he knew where Visto Volvo was......as I was asking, the owner's son pulled into the station with his girlfriend. He was a nice man and offered to have me follow him back to the property. I followed him back and, sure enough, I was in the right place the first time. Feeling skeptical and uneasy, I decided to check out the rooms since I had driven all the way from Last Fortuna. I was greeted at the desk by a nice young man who then handed me a bag with my tv clicker, air conditioner clicker and room key....that was a first. My daughter and I followed him to our room, it was pitch dark and not a person to be seen or heard. I was the only car in the parking lot so I believe I was the only guest. We got to the room and I was shocked when I saw what they called a room. It looked and felt like something out of a 1970's horror movie...The Shining comes to mind and it was full of mold and unsanitary. My daughter is extremely allergic to mold and was creeped out by the whole atmosphere. Needless to say, we left in a hurry. I have no idea how their zip lining is but I wasn't waiting around to try it...it was that seedy, creepy and disgusting!

• Stayed: March 2014
VistaGolfo, Owner at Adventure Park and Hotel Vista Golfo, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Dear customer

We noticed you did exactly what you had promised on our email conversations, that if we did not return your money back, you were going to write a bad review on Trip Advisor and other traveling reviews places, you really did it.
Also you mentioned on the comment, things that are not even close to reality; and when you read all the comments different people around the world have written are totally different than what you wrote, because on our web site, it says clearly that we are a relaxing mountain hotel, so we could really understand that maybe you and the young lady traveling with you, were expecting to find a really nice night life place with music, dancing people and things like that. Unfortunately we are not, as mentioned on the emails and web site, we are a small mountain hotel with the warranty that our clients can have a real relaxing night after done our tours or after driven like you did, a long distance and get totally ready to do the tours on the next morning.
Hundreds of excellent reviews are not going to make us feel down, actually thank you, because comments like the one you did, make us look around and be better for our future real clients, once again, everything was ready for you, not all our clients come with their own cars to our Adventure Park, but by the time finally you arrived, everybody was already on the rooms, and just to pleased you, we were not going to go door by door asking our clients on that night to say Hello to you to make you feel comfortable and really check if you were not the only guest at the hotel, that on our opinion is ridiculous to be so concerned that if you was o was not the only guest at the hotel on that night.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

My family came here for just a day to do the zip lining and had a wonderful time! The entire staff was extremely accommodating. We hadn't eaten when we first arrived so the chef came in 45 minutes before his shift actually started to make us one of the most delicious chicken sandwiches I've had.
The guides we had for the zip lining were so much fun and made it enjoyable for everyone. As a guide myself, I always pay close attention to the crew helping us but these guys really seemed to love what they do! Very enjoyable and would highly recommend this place to others looking for some adventure in Costa Rica.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We recently spent three days and two nights at the Hotel Vista Golfo. It turned out to be a wonderful experience for our group of five. The staff was wonderful; kind, helpful, warm and open. They couldn't do enough for the guests.

The accommodations were as advertised; quite adequate and clean, some with lovely views. The food onsite was excellent and the service first class.

The activities were superb, especially the zip-lining and the two hour horseback ride up the mountain. The three guides, for our group of five on the zip-lining tour, were terrific - safety conscious, very helpful and funny. This was the highlight of our visit.

You might consider giving a pass to the Cloud Forest excursion. The best part of that activity was the ride up the mountain. Although the forest vegetation was lush, birds and other wildlife were all but absent.

Overall, our stay with Vista Golfo was worth every minute, and all of us would heartily recommend a visit with no reservations.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 15, 2014

It’s hard to believe there is a hotel at the top of this very steep, winding mountain road above Miramar, but Adventure Vista Golfo is perched right on the side of the mountain. The hotel is the launch pad for their 25 line zipline tour, and many other adventure tours. We stayed in Room 21, which was a large attached villa with a patio and breathtaking view of the valley below. It is also a very steep walk from the reception area to this room, although you can drive your vehicle up to the room. It’s important to remember that the main reason for staying in the hotel is the proximity to the zipline tours. Knowing that, it was easier to overlook the dated décor and squeaky beds. The shower was also tricky as the water heated through the shower head, and required a light touch to avoid a cold shower. There was satellite TV reception, which thrilled my NFL loving family since they were able to watch the games at night, and there was a lovely bar and dining area in the main reception area of the hotel. Dinner and breakfast were included in our package. Dinner included a choice of 4 different entrees, dessert and a beverage (glass of wine or beer was included). For all meals, we were assigned a table in the restaurant with table service, and the food was home-style and traditional, but very good. The staff was very friendly. The zip line tour was spectacular.

Room Tip: The Villas # 20 & 21 are quiet and have beautiful views
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 14, 2014

We just just arrived back from a trip to Costa Rica. Stayed the first two nights at Hotel Vista Golfo. The staff were friendly, rooms were great, fantastic view. The restaurant is small and limited in choice but the food was excellent. Ziplined and did the rope course with the kids. Adventure staff were excellent and very safety minded

Would stay here again and highly recommending it.

Room Tip: all rooms have fantastic views
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 13, 2014

We booked this zip line canopy tour off-ship for a Panama Canal cruise in January. Communication was great via email and our tour guide, Daniel Chavez Montero picked us up on the pier in an air conditioned mini-van and drove us up the mountain to the Adventure Park and Hotel Vista Golfo. He was very friendly and accommodating and spoke English very well. After checking in and paying the remainder of our fee, we locked up our valuables in a secure location and took a 4WD smaller van further up the mountain to the start of the zip lines. There are 25 zip lines in all, two of which are quite steep and set up as repelling over or beside waterfalls (you do not get wet as you are well above or to the side of the water). The zip lines are standard metal cables and the harnesses and pulleys are in excellent condition and well maintained. The breaking technique is a leather glove on your strong hand (right hand for us) with an additional thick leather pad to pull down on the cable when breaking is necessary. We had three technical guides with us, including Daniel, who had complete control of us the entire time. The course criss-crossed a ravine with a large stream flowing down it, and half way down we were given the opportunity to jump into a deep pool at the bottom of one of the falls. We also crossed a long suspension bridge (hooked onto a safety cable as we crossed). We we're encouraged to bring our cameras, at the guides were more than happy to take photos and even videos as we glided down the lines, free of charge. There were no up-hill climbing at all, and only a handful of places where we walked a dozen steps or so to the next platform. After we reached the bottom, we were met by another air conditioned van which took us back up to the hotel where we, collected our valuables, had a very nice lunch (included in the price) and purchased a beer. The price for this "excursion" was only $10 more per person than the zip line excursion offered by the cruise line, but their's had only 9 zip lines, no repelling or suspension bridge. We were a little worried about making sure that we got back to the ship on time since we booked the excursion off-ship, but there was no need. Daniel picked us up at about 8:30 AM and returned us to the ship by 2:30 PM. On the way back to the ship, Daniel kept an eye open for howler monkeys in the trees and stopped to let us look at them when he saw some (we were lucky enough to see a few, including a baby with two adults). He also stopped when he saw a 2-meter crocodile in a river we crossed and we got a good look at it. Since we had extra time, and at our request, he stopped into a local grocery store to show us the Costa Rican coffee that the locals buy at a much cheaper price than the tourist shops that the ship takes it tour groups to. I highly recommend this tour, and especially Daniel as a guide. We are in our 50's and in relatively good shape, butI see no reason why anyone who is mobile enough to walk up and down stairs wouldn't enjoy this!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank KSRoddy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Miramar
Puerto Azul Boutique Resort & Marina
0 mi away
Hacienda Sassenberg
Hacienda Sassenberg
#1 of 5 in Miramar

Been to Adventure Park and Hotel Vista Golfo? Share your experiences!