“If you like being pampered in paradise without hurting nature, this is for you”

Arenas del Mar Beachfront & Rainforest Resort
Ranked #4 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed December 8, 2009

I just got back late last week from my week long-trip to Costa Rica with my wife. It's the first time either of us have been to Costa Rica, so we were a bit nervous. Traveling is difficult for us, as my wife has severe food allergies - gluten, corn, soy, peanuts and bananas (and probably more I'm forgetting). I am gluten intolerant as well, so I had some concerns. Let me say first that the staff could not have been more accommodating to our restrictive diets. The chef talked to us personally almost every meal and catered to our every whim. Melissa, the head of the food portion of the hotel also talked to us repeatedly, and even offered to drive into town to get food if we wanted something they did not have.

Neither I nor my wife got even remotely sick on this trip. What's more, the food was excellent: fresh, well-prepared and tasty. We never went hungry at Arenas Del Mar.

The quality of the staff was not limited to the food portion of the hotel. Every single person we interacted with was incredibly nice and gracious to us. They were upbeat, friendly, and on the few occasions they misunderstood us (our spanish is non-existent) they quickly and efficiently rectified the error. On check-in we were greeted warmly with tropical juice and taken to our incredible room, the Ocean Breeze Suite.

When I say 'paradise' I know that it sounds like an exaggeration, but the view from our balcony of the ocean was breathtaking. Having a jacuzzi on the balcony didn't hurt either! [I'm not sure if I can update the review to add pictures once they are ready, but if so I will do so and delete this sentence (LOL).] In short, the suite was spacious, the bed was extremely comfortable and the view was, as I said, lovely.

One of our favorite parts about the hotel was that it is committed to sustainability. Despite being in the heart of the Manuel Antonio area, the hotel was clearly built with minimal impact on the environment. The hotel is maintained with solar and other alternative fuels, and the front desk gave us biodegradable plastic bottles to use for water, which flows clean out of the tap.

All in all, true resort living. I wish we'd never left!

Reviewed November 30, 2009

My wife and I just returned from a 4 day trip to Quepos, CR. Our entire stay was at Arenas Del Mar. This entire trip was booked through their web site/ emails from staff members; the experience was very good. They were able to assist us with rental car, canopy tour set up, arrival and depart transportation.

Service: 5 star. The staff is friendly, helpful and SMILED. Room service was above par from other resorts we have experienced in Central America. Special thanks to Victor, Davey, Andrew and Evelyn and several more than names escape me, at the moment.

Food/Drink: The food quality was average and the hotel resturant menu was limited. If you eat dinner no more than 2 times it will be OK. The first night my wife ordered Sea Bass and it was over cooked (plus I do not think it was Sea Bass) the wait staff noticed this and sent manager to check on us; this was a very nice follow up and after telling her it was over cooked she removed from the bill and brought my wife beef. Several times we experienced items being on the menu; once ordered we found out they were out. Keeping in mind that we eat early and the resturant was never booked. Before arriving I had email the resort and ask if they had a supply of KY bourbon. Evelyn replied that indeed they did have bourbon; this prove to be wrong (thank goodness I had purchased a large bottle at a duty free shop). Basic bar selections are available; but inventory is very limited in many cases.

Rooms: 5 Star - Very clean and up to date. I had read a couple of reviews on Arenas Del Mar that commented on the lack of hot water. We never experienced this problem until our last morning when the water was luke warm, at best. I would place it in the "not an issue" area.

The Bad - If you are looking for a place to get away from your Blackberry, cell, computer, newpapers, radio (cable TV with 90% Spanish speaking stations in our room) this is your place. If you require a wireless connection be aware this is not where you want to stay. The wireless service was completely out for 2 of the days we were there; even the resorts service was down; this included long distance service back to USA. In speaking with staff it was clear this was an ongoing issue for the resort. The staff offered up information on internet cafe's in town (which I had to finally use) this proves to be about a 20 minute trip to town. Not a deal breaker but as a business man when I know something ahead of time I handle it much better......Plan B!

CR people and staff prove to be very good host and countless 4 and 5 star resorts in the United States could learn from them. Thanks guys.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
GuestserviceADM, Manager at Arenas del Mar Beachfront & Rainforest Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2009

We would like to thank you for your thorough review of Arenas Del Mar. Your feedback is very important to us and we take it very seriously. Thank you for your kind comments on our service and the staff at the hotel. We are proud to work with a local staff that has been trained at Arenas Del Mar during the past two years of its operation.

Please let us address your constructive criticism. We are in the process of upgrading the menu right now and we think you might have been in the in between phase of all of this. The menu selection will be expanded and we will pay extra close attention to sea food as this is typically our strength at the restaurant.

In terms of Internet, I hear you on the need to stay connected for business purposes and this is an issue for us as operators as well. Unfortunately, Costa Rica still has a telecommunications monopoly and that has impacts on service. However, we now have a backup system and service has improved (competition is coming to Costa Rica in 2010). We should be able to better serve your needs for internet connection next year. We would love to have you back at Arenas Del Mar.

Once again, thanks for helping us get better. All the best and happy holidays.

The Management at Arenas del Mar

Reviewed November 18, 2009

I am a world traveler and have enjoyed numerous hotels, mostly on business, in my career. I can honestly say the Arenas del Mar is in the top 10. What an incredible property, extremely well managed, with a great staff, and overall great value. Yes it's expensive but in my opinion it is worth the extra investment to get a stay like this.

We stayed 2 nights in early November. I wish it could have been longer! The rooms are very comfortable, the food was the best we had in CR, and the staff could not have been more accomodating. If you're looking for a world class resort in the beauty that is Costa Rica, you can't do any better .

Reviewed November 9, 2009

Our family stayed at this hotel last summer for four nights. It was absolutely amazing, right on the beach, with unmatched food and service. It was my favorite of the three hotels we stayed in while visiting Costa Rica. It was on the beach, which was pretty rough at times but it was only a short ride or long walk to Manuel Antonio National Park, where the beaches are absolutely perfect. I will absolutely stay here again. We stayed in apartment 101A and 101B--great for a family with children. One other plus is the wildlife...it's everywhere.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank ade318
Reviewed November 5, 2009

I stayed at Arenas in Dec. of '08 with a woman I had just met a couple of months earlier. The woman was magical and we are now married. The Arenas Del Mar was our first stay together and the hotel was romantic and spectacular. The staff was gracious, courteous and friendly. Our room overlooked the Pacific with small tidepools lapping nearly beneath the balcony. We were booked for 2 nights at Arenas and 2 nights at another hotel but cancelled the 2nd reservation and stayed 4 nights at Arenas. I can honestly say the atmosphere, view, cleanliness and ambiance of the hotel contributed to our romance. We spent hours on the balcony talking and enjoying each other and the view. We have since bought property (yet to be built) in the area and are returning to Costa Rica next month but will not stay at Arenas. We had such a great time we both feel it can only be a letdown from that. We have decided to wait to stay at the hotel again until our 10th anniversary.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2009

Everything about our trip was incredible. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable and spoke English very well. Definitely worth a visit.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2009

We spent 6 nights in the Punta Quepos area and stayed the entire time at Arenas del mar with our twin 4 year old boys. The resort itself is absolutely beautiful! It is a small boutique type hotel but offers everything you need. We stayed from Oct 20-26 and it was a very slow time for this area. The peak season is Feb-April in this area. It did rain alot but hey, we were prepared and it did not impact our vacation quality. If you are looking to just sit on a beach all day long, this is not the place for you! The rooms are very nice...we got an ocean breeze suite that has 2 separate bedroom areas, a kitchenette, and 2 bathrooms along with an amazing balcony with a jacuzzi soaking tub that our boys LOVED to play in at night. The food was okay--it was overpriced and just okay. However, there are many good restaurants in the area to choose from--kapi, kapi along with others that offer more american food too for the kids (pizza, hotdogs,etc.). We packed alot of our american snacks for the kids--fruit snacks, cereals, etc. which really helped out and we visited the local grocery store to pick up juices and milk. The pools were beautiful and the main pool at the lobby area was always empty so we had it to ourselves whenever we wanted and it had a great shallow area for the kids to play in. There were always fresh towels right next to the pools. We booked many great tours as well. We went to Manuel Antonio National Park with a guide and the walk was nice but the park and wildlife itself was very disappointing! It was not worth the money to go there. We really enjoyed going ziplining with safari canopy tours...my 4 year old went with me but on his own line/harness and he really loved it! We also did the Damas island mangrove tour which was great...the monkeys were everywhere and jumped on our boat and stole a muffin out of one of my sons hands :) We saw great wildlife there! We also did the nightwalk at Si Como No nature preserve which was wonderful! We had our own guide and he spent 2 hours showing us many different types of frogs and spiders! In addition, we went to the butterfly and reptile area at Si Como No and that was really interesting and beautiful. The concierge at Arenas del mar did not recommend this but we found out from another tour company operator and it is literally 5 minutes away from Arenas del mar! The beaches at Arenas del mar are well worth a trip...they have great security and there are tons of shells and hermit crabs everywhere for the kids to occupy themselves. The tide is very powerful so be watchful of the little ones! My husband took one of our sons on the ATV tour and it was very rough--would not recommend this for children. Also, the hotel will not book it for you since they are a green hotel but they will give you a phone number for a reputable company. If you have children, make sure you pack toys to take with you as you can imagine, there aren't many toy stores in the area and they are VERY expensive. The room has a great flat screen TV and DVD player so all you have to do is bring a few DVD's for the kids and you're set. There is a ton of wildlife around the resort...my children loved all of the iguanas and sloths and birds. Also, when its not raining, the monkeys come out all around the resort in addition to the red crabs. The golf carts are very quick to take you anywhere you would like on the property. We took the van ride from the airport to the resort and although it is long, it was comfortable and the driver was safe. I would definitely recommend this over the small regional plane to quepos as we talked to people that had their flight cancelled and had to get a rental car and drive themself and if you dont' know where you are going, you will definitely get lost! Taxis are very easy to get and not too expensive. We spent 6 nights at Arenas Del Mar/Quepos and were never bored. We can't wait to go back again and go to the volcanoes and coffee tours, etc. The boys loved our vacation and didn't want to leave! I did not visit/use the spa services at the resort so I can't comment on those.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family