“Absolute luxury!”

Arenas del Mar Beachfront & Rainforest Resort
Ranked #4 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed September 18, 2009

We were greeted with frozen, minty drinks and a smile. Such comfort after a long day travelling the roads of Costa Rica! Room was beautiful, comfortable and spacious. I actually had to pull up one of the bed sheets to see what kind of mattress we were sleeping on, as it was the most comfortable I've ever rested in.
Restaurant fare was well-prepared and presented.
My highest compliments!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank tmy2shoes

Reviewed September 17, 2009

We booked to stay in Arenas del Mar based on the excellent reviews it receives on Tripadvisor. We were disappointed when just before we were due to fly out, the hotel tried to cancel our reservation, giving the obviously spurious reason that they had decided to become a 'no-children' resort (they knew we had a child when we booked??). Despite this we insisted they honour the booking and agreed to change our dates o accommodate them (to a date when children were allowed?!). We re-arranged our holiday in order to stay here. I'm glad we did.

Staying at this hotel was one of the best parts of our tour of Costa Rica. We saw more animals in the hotel grounds within the first half an hour than we had seen anywhere else (and we had been to two of the national parks by then). The room was like a luxury apartment and it was great to go to sleep witht he balcony doors open, listening to the waves on the beach.

The beach itself is accessed via a small band of tropical forest and gives the impression of being a private beach, although it is not. The hotel has security guards patrolling this secluded section of the coast and serves cocktails and meals to its guests. Surf boards, towels and buckets and spades are also provided and it's great fun playing in the waves or watching the ghost crabs. Truly idyllic setting for families or honeymooners.

Aside from the short wak to the beach, in order to move around the hotel it is necessary to call reception to arrange golf buggy transport. The staff who arrive outside your room within minutes to chauffeur you to the restaurant are always cheerful and friendly and twe appreciated that they made a real effort with our seven-year-old who can be a bit shy around new people.

Having dinner in the hotel restaurant in the pitch dark whilst a thunderstorm raged around was a truly special experience although there are some better value places to eat locally including Marlins and Ronny's Place. The hotel is completely self-contained but it is worth venturing out as the gift shop is expensive and Quepos is a delightful area to explore.

We will definitely be coming back to stay here in the future and would consider returning every year if the hotel could sort out it's family policy and improve facilities for children. In particular, by providing more suitable sleeping arrangements.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Minidelts
GuestserviceADM, Manager at Arenas del Mar Beachfront & Rainforest Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2009

Dear Minidelts

First of all, we want to thank you for the great review you wrote on Tripadvisor about Arenas Del Mar and we will make sure we fix the issues you mentioned to make sure you become a regular guest and come back every year. We are a bit surprised by the confusion about our child policy as we have always had a policy of welcoming children at Arenas Del Mar. Most of the other upscale hotels in Manuel Antonio do not accept children and maybe there was some kind of confusion with the agency you booked with. Nevertheless, we will work on improving the sleeping arrangements with the extra bed for children and makes sure that next time you come, you will perceive eating at our restaurants as the best value in town. Looking forward to seeing you next year.

Reviewed September 16, 2009

LOVED this place. Cannot say enough good things about every detail. The staff was so friendly and nice. The rooms were great and the bed was really comfy! The beaches and pools are amazing. The food is really good. Definitely the best place we stayed during our trip and I would only stay here if we go back to Manuel Antonio!!

Reviewed September 15, 2009

You can stop your hotel research right now, Arenas del Mar is the place to go. This place was amazing from the minute we checked in! Arenas del Mar has beachfront access and to my knowledge you will not find this anywhere else in Manuel Antonio. Our room was in the 300 building, which is a perfect location. We had a pool and the ocean both just steps away. The room was phenomenal. This is the first time in all my years of travel that I can recall a hotel room exceeding my expectations. We stayed in an Ocean Breeze Suite and it was worth every penny. The bedroom had a gorgeous view through the trees right to the ocean and the deck was huge! I also can't say enough about the service at this hotel. Every single staff member was extremely friendly and helpful. The hotel is built on the side of a mountain and guests are driven around in golf carts. We never had to wait more than a couple of minutes for a cart to come pick us up. The hotel has much of the same wildlife as the National Park. In fact, we saw more animals (iguanas, monkeys, sloths, etc) on the hotel grounds than we did in the National Park. The breakfast that is included with the room rate is very good. We enjoyed both restaurants on the property. Our favorite restaurant in Manuel Antonio was Kappi Kappi - the food was fantastic and dessert was out of this world! We booked a surf lesson and canopy zipline tour through the hotel and we recommend both. Our zipline tour guides were great! Also, I had a hot stone massage at Las Brisas Spa (in the hotel) that was to die for! Of all the places we've visited, Arenas del Mar has been our favorite!

2  Thank MABKJB
Reviewed September 14, 2009

For over 10 days, my boyfriend and I traveled all over Costa Rica and this was by far the nicest, most luxurious place that we stayed. IT was simply awesome - the staff was so attentive, everyone so friendly and the food was reasonably priced and actually pretty good. I should point out that Costa Rica (in general) is NOT a place for foodies - if you are ok with good, average meals (with no spices) for the length of your stay - as we were - you will be fine. We booked an Ocean View Suite and it was great - the bed was heavenly (our backs were killing from sleeping on hard, uncomfy beds for the 6 days prior to getting to Arenas del Mar). We did not have a rental car, so getting off the property was a little tricky the one time we went to Quepos (nearby town). But honestly - we were so exhausted from our travels that we were totally fine with hanging out poolside and Quepos is a dump - we were there to pick up coffee at Cafe Milagro - highly recommend - eat lunch and get back to the hotel. If you are looking for great guest services, fabulous ocean views and a remote location, Arenas del Mar would be a perfect fit! Of note, the resort was almost exclusively young couples, most of whom were on their honeymoon. We enjoyed getting to meet everyone else and I think the resort would also be fun for a girls weekend as well.

2  Thank jewellsweetpea
Reviewed September 4, 2009

I lived in Costa Rica years ago, so when I visited with my girlfriend I wanted to find a place that would be comfortable and capture the essence of Manuel Antonio. Luckily I found Arenas Del Mar!

We stayed in the Ocean Breeze Superior room, which I believe is their most basic room. But it was everything we could possibly need. It had a giant shower, great bathroom, King-sized bed, and a deck that was more of an "outside sitting room." Our deck had two comfortable chairs, a wet bar, a fridge, and a ceiling fan. And it had one of the most amazing ocean views I've ever seen in a hotel room. It's really something to wake up to the sight and sound of the Pacific ocean!

The staff was probably the biggest plus of all. When we checked in, they handed us a drink immediately. Whenever we needed something, they had an answer. They were very professional yet still very relaxed and friendly. I've been to hotels that have great service before. But they usually feel very stiff and impersonal. The employees were great to talk to and joke around with, yet they were always attentive and on point.

One example of how great the staff was: on the night we arrived, we ate in the hotel restaurant. Halfway through the meal, I dropped my napkin on the floor. I didn't think anything of it. I just reached down and put it back on my lap. But just as I did so, a waiter appeared over my shoulder with a perfectly folded napkin on a tray. He had seen me drop my napkin from across the restaurant. I hadn't looked up or anything. And in the time it took me to pick up my napkin, he had grabbed a fresh one and brought it over to me. How often do you get that level of service?

We also really enjoyed the wildlife there. Iguanas every five feet, two types of monkeys, sloths, you name it. All of them were right outside our door in plain sight.

The beach that they have access to is amazing. It's great for swimming or sunbathing. They have a guard that will watch your stuff while you take a dip and great beach chairs to relax on. And the pool and restaurant is a few steps away. Anything you could want is right there.

Bottom line, this is one of the best hotels I've stayed at ANYWHERE. If you've got the money and are planning to visit Manuel Antonio/Quepos, do yourself a favor and just stay here. You won't regret it!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wanderingweekender
Reviewed September 4, 2009

This was an amazing hotel. The rooms were wonderful with large balconies. The staff and service was incredible. When we left to go to another area of Costa Rica, the front desk person called the hotel where we were going to make sure we arrived ok. We felt like we were with our family, everyone was so nice. They arranged our tours, and transportation. The food and beverages were wonderful. We saw monkeys, sloths and iguanas right on the property. Truly Pura Vida!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple