“Awesome small hotel for all ages” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Arenas del Mar Beachfront and Rainforest Resort, Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica

You added Arenas del Mar Beachfront and Rainforest Resort, Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica to your Saves list
Arenas del Mar Beachfront and Rainforest Resort, Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Punta Quepos, Manuel Antonio National Park 311-6350, Costa Rica   |
Special Offer
Get a Free Night
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Orlando Florida
“Awesome small hotel for all ages”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

I would like to address this review to any traveler over the age of 90 who is looking for an awesome hotel in Manuel Antonio. I am 91 and my family convinced me that I had to go with them to Arenas Del Mar to celebrate my Birthday. They were right; this little hotel is awesome. Although I can get around I do need assistance, I did not have to navigate the hills or steps at Arenas del Mar as the golf cart was able to be driven up to my room; and the bathroom was equipped with safety rails. The rooms were beautiful, had terrific view of the Pacific and were very clean.

Listening to the waves crashing in the morning made getting out of my comfortable bed difficult although I knew a wonderful breakfast awaited me. The breakfast, lunch and dinners were delicious and the wait staff at both the El Mirador Restaurant and Playitas Restaurant could not have been more attentive. We even “found” a new beverage from the bar, please ask your wait staff about a drink called the “Monkey Dance”
My family was right, although I did not go Zip lining with them, I did enjoyed every minute of my stay, and will go again with them any time.

I would highly recommend Arenas Del Mar.

3 Thank FloridaGram
GuestserviceADM, Manager at Arenas del Mar Beachfront and Rainforest Resort, Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica, responded to this review, August 17, 2009
Dear FloridaGram,

Thank you for this beautiful review of our hotel. We are very honored to have had you as our guest and hope you can come back to Arenas Del Mar. We would be happy to invite you to a Monkey Dance at our bar! All the best.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

Arenas del Mar was the second hotel we stayed at in Costa Rica, and by far the best! The room was amazing (we stayed in a suite in building 2) with the most comfortable bed and softest sheets I have ever experienced. The views were great, even if you couldn't really see the ocean you could hear it and there were great views of the pool area. We were there on our honeymoon and we couldn't have imagined a more spectacular experience. The staff was friendly and really helpful. The food was great (even if it was pricey). I have food allergies to gluten and am very sensitive and frequently get sick when traveling. The food never made me sick and was all delicious!

I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

We just returned from our stay at Arenas del Mar. It was one of four hotels we stayed in during our nine day vacatioin. We loved it. The staff was very helpful and attended to any of our needs. The room was beautiful with views of the ocean, but the feeling of being in a treehouse. The outdoor living space was wonderful. There is so much wildlife there, we saw more at the hotel than we did at Manuel Antonio. We saw sloths, spider monkeys, white faced monkeys, iguanas, and birds of all kinds. Yes, there are little crabs all over. The crabs lay their eggs in the sand on the beach, and after the crabs hatch, they migrate to the woods, where they live. Unfortunately, the hotel is in their route to the woods, and they get lost in the rooms. We found some, but were not bothered by them. The beach is really nice, and easily accessible. The food was great, especially all the fresh fruit, and fresh fruit juices every morning. It is an easy walk on the beach to Manuel Antonio, and the stores and restaurants near the park. The local racoons do try to get into the minibar every evening, so do keep it locked, and hide the key. Every evening at dusk they would come onto our patio, and try the door. We loved the hotel, and will return. I wish we spent more of our time there, and less in other places. The only negative for me was the crazy steep driveway. I actually asked the hotel staff to drive the car out for me. I would never rent a car in Costa Rica again. There are plenty of transport services to use. Do go zip lining from the hotel. It was great fun.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank FLnaturegirl
Somerset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

A beautiful, well-appointed small hotel perched on a steep hill overlooking Manuel Antonion NP and the Pacific Ocean. We had a small apartment with hot tub, three rooms, two with A/C. It was well-appointed,quiet and very clean.

The food was excellent - particularly the breakfast.

1 Thank fancystoats
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

I stayed at Arenas Del Mar with my girlfriend and i can't say enough good things about it. The people there are as nice as they come and the service is excellent. The hotel's private beach is absolutely gorgeous and the pools are awesome. I also loved the food...we ate there almost every meal!! Our view was amazing and the hot tub on the balcony got plenty of use. There is no better hotel in Costa Rica!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JMul3
princeton jct, nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

Every aspect of the hotel was incredible. The food was fantastic as was the service. No staff can compare to the employees at Arenas Del Mar. Their genuine kindness truly made my experience that much better; their focus is to make your stay stress-free and enjoyable. I stayed at this resort with 24 family members ranging from 2 years old to 91 and every person found something for them to do every day. I will definitely be going back to Arenas Del Mar and would highly recommend it to eveyone.

Ellicott City, MD
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

Arenas del Mar was the last stop on our 10-day Costa Rican honeymoon. Unfortunately, it was the destination where my husband and I spent the longest length of time and enjoyed ourselves the least.
When we arrived at Arenas del Mar in the late afternoon we were dropped off at a little hut area where a security guard was waiting – we tried to speak with him but he spoke very poor English. Please note that this is not a complaint, but we were surprised because up until this point we were very impressed that we had not had any communication issues at all. We later read on the breakfast menu that Arenas del Mar employs many locals to work at the hotel and all are working on their English.
Once we arrived at the lobby we were greeted by an employee at the front desk and given welcome drinks. The woman at the front desk was cold (she did not congratulate us on our marriage) and rushed through the information that we needed. She called a cart and we were taken a very short distance to our room.
We were taken to building 600 and given the bottom Ocean Breeze Suite. We were shocked when we walked into the room – it looked nothing like the pictures on the website. The employee hung around until my husband finally gave him a tip (we don’t mind tipping for good service, but we do mind an employee hanging around in our room waiting for a tip).
To say we were disappointed in the room is an understatement, it was small, dingy, dirty, and the AC did not work. We called up to the front desk twice before we were put in touch with someone who promised that they would send someone to work on the AC. Meanwhile my husband called me outside to see a crab that ventured onto the patio (remember, we were on the ground floor). Upon seeing us the crab scuttled away. We went into the bedroom to unpack and due to the stuffiness we opened the sliding door. I looked down and noticed something small crawling into the room – it was two baby crabs! My husband went to brush them outside and two larger crabs came in before he could shut the door! We soon found them literally crawling up the curtains and in the bathroom. We put the bags on chairs and walked up to the lobby where the same nonchalant front desk employee told us that they were booked for the evening and could not do anything for us. Another employee was sent to our room to sweep out all the crabs (she was a brave girl) and we were then barricaded into the room by two employees using towels from the bathroom.
The entire night we could hear the crabs crawling around outside and when we woke up the next morning there were still crabs clinging to the screens.
The next day we were moved to a building on the beach (I believe it was 100) on the third floor to a real Ocean Breeze Suite and compensated for ½ of the price of our room for the first night.
My issue with this hotel is not the fact that they have this problem with the crabs (we only heard a few other guests discussing the same issue), but how they reacted and greeted us from the moment we arrived at the hotel. We arrived late in the day and I believe that we were given the “runt of the litter” when it comes to guest rooms.
The hotel manager did stop by to apologize to us, but he stopped by on the second to last day of our stay.
We later heard from our booking agent that this hotel has been “red flagged,” whatever that means, and that we were the third complaint about the lack of cleanliness and crabs.
We did have good experiences at this hotel (the restaurants were wonderful, particularly the restaurant staff), but as you can see the negative experiences have outweighed any good element of Arenas del Mar.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
8 Thank peapod5222
GuestserviceADM, Manager at Arenas del Mar Beachfront and Rainforest Resort, Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica, responded to this review, August 10, 2009
Dear Peapod5222,

First of all, we want to sincerely thank your for your honest feedback on your stay at Arenas Del Mar.

We are very sad that your honeymoon stay with us did not meet your expectations. We strive for 100% guest satisfaction and are currently achieving a guest satisfaction index of nearly 95% at our hotel for 2009. While we understand that this is not much consolation for you, it is important for us to clarify that this was an isolated case and that our guests really enjoy their stays with us.

In terms of the crabs, yes, this is a big challenge for us and all the other hotels in Costa Rica located right on the beach. This is a seasonable phenomenon happening in part of the rainy reason during full moon. Since your stay with us, we have implemented measures to make sure that the crabs don´t enter in the rooms as easily and a system of immediate response in case this occurs with any of our guests.

What is not excusable is the lack of service you have received when arriving at the Welcome Pavilion, during your check in, and when complaining about the situation in your room. We will review this very seriously and take consequences to make sure that this will not happen again.

I am glad that you found that some things were great at Arenas Del Mar during your stay and I would like to invite you to write to me personally at manager@arenasdelmar.com to see what we can do to arrange a service recovery that would make you consider coming back to Arenas Del Mar to give us another chance.

Once again, thanks for your feedback. This allows us to get better every day and from all of the staff of Arenas Del Mar and Cayuga Sustainable Hospitality, we congratulate you and your husband on your wedding appreciating that you shared some of your honeymoon with us.