“Where the Rainforest meets the waves!”

Arenas del Mar Beachfront & Rainforest Resort
Ranked #4 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
So. Cal
“Where the Rainforest meets the waves!”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Beautiful hotel. Staff was very attentive (even when the FIFA match was on). This a very unique hotel in that it's actually in part of the Manuel Antonio park. Sloths, howler monkeys & raccoons everywhere. Our first night we were in the living room with the kids and the sliding glass door opens up and in comes this raccoon! Not like the ones here. This little guy just checked us out and left, without closing the door behind him. We were warned about the monkeys. We had a howler monkey do a face plant just outside of our room. Poor guy, he was swinging from a branch and the next branch snapped sending him onto what very little concrete they have there.
The room was wonderful, huge bathroom with a shower that makes you feel like your under a waterfall. Complimentary "Tico" bar in the room (has chips, water, juice). The balcony was huge with an outdoor bathtub with jets, large sofa on one side, table with chairs in the middle and 2 lounge chairs on the other side. The balcony kind of wraps around the room giving you beautiful views, of the ocean and rainforest, from everywhere but the shower!
This property has two beaches, both wonderful. Strong currents, so watch the water before you go in. Huge waves the last day we were there (husbands IPro got some good shots when he got caught in the spin cycle of a wave). They have boards there and you can get lessons. Golf carts take you to and from the beach.
Really can't say enough good things about this place!

1 Thank Laura A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (576)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 4, 2014

My husband and I just returned from our first trip to CR and we loved it. Arenas del Mar exceeded our expectations in every way. We had an ocean view suite in building 6 and it was spectacular. Clean, comfortable and spacious especially the bathroom. The daily Tico snacks and juices were much appreciated. The staff was very friendly , remembered our names and generally went out of their way to make our trip memorable. One evening we took advantage of their shuttle and went into town for dinner at Ronny's. Our driver was Robin and he told us to have the restaurant call them when we were ready and that he got off at 10:00. We went to dinner with another couple and were enjoying drinks and basically closed the place down. We forgot about calling for our ride but sure enough there was Robin back to get us .
The property is absolutely stunning and you will see plenty of monkeys , sloths , iguanas , crabs etc. One morning we were woken up by Howler monkeys right outside our room. The beach access is fabulous and both beach areas were great. The food in both restaurants was excellent and you must try the breakfast burrito.
We will definitely return to Arenas del Mar and next time bring our two teenagers.

Room Tip: We had a 2nd floor suite and the view was superb.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Elru70
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed July 3, 2014

We just returned from an incredible 7 day stay at Arenas del Mar. I traveled with my husband and 3 children ages 10-16. This resort truly has the best of everything. First of all, the location is fabulous. Located just minutes away from Manuel Antonio national park, there are 3 species of monkeys, several sloths, toucans, iguanas, and more on the hotel grounds. The resort offers access to 2 beaches, and the rooms are perched on the hills to offer spectacular ocean views. Expect to walk up a few flights of stairs for the best views (it’s worth it, and you’ll get some exercise). For those not inclined to walk up and down the hills, golf carts are always available to take guests from place to place.

The grounds are amazingly lush and full of wildlife. When we arrived, 2 large sloths and a baby were up in the trees by the reception desk. On several occasions, we were able to watch troops of squirrel and capuchin monkeys traveling through the trees. Definitely sign up for the evening nature walk! The resort guide, Ersel, will lead you through jungle trails to see bats, crabs, spiders, and other wildlife.

The rooms are clean and spacious. While I would not describe them as ultra-luxurious, I found them to be very upscale for an eco-friendly resort. The showers are enormous! The outdoor decks are very large and feature jacuzzi tubs. Each room has a mini-fridge with complimentary snacks and juices. International phone calls are free from the land lines, and wifi signal is excellent in the guest rooms and pool areas. I particularly enjoyed the set-up for 2 adults and 3 kids. We stayed in rooms 503A&B, so we had 2 adjoining suites. We simply left the 2 interior doors open to make one big living area. We had 2 private bedrooms with king beds and huge bathrooms, as well as a living room with a couch which pulled out to a full bed. Since the living area had its own bathroom, we had 3 full bathrooms in total (a HUGE plus when traveling with kids).

Since the food at the resort was incredible, we felt no need to travel into town for meals. Breakfast is included and features wonderful fresh fruits, amazing coffee, and just about anything you’d like made to order. Lunch is served by the lower pool/beach area. This was the kids’ favorite meal as the lunch menu is more casual and the atmosphere very laid back. The dinner menu was my personal favorite, with sophisticated offerings of fresh fish and local produce. I was REALLY impressed with the quality of the food. I have a few food allergies, which can make travelling a nightmare, and the staff never let me down.

One of the best things about the resort is the location. Since the property is waterfront, guests can enjoy both the beach and the jungle. Travel time to activities outside the resort range from a few minutes (to the national park) to 30 minutes (to zip lines) to 45 minutes (to horseback riding or white water rafting). We had an absolute blast enjoying the many excursions offered. My family enjoys lounging by the pool but also loves adventure, so this really was the perfect vacation.

Finally, what really makes Arenas del Mar special is the staff. I have never met such a warm, kind, and friendly group of people. So many thanks to Heiner, Laura, Allan, Ersel, Angel, Luis, and everyone who made our visit so wonderful. I only wish I could remember everyone’s name, because I am forgetting so many others (I’m sorry!) who went out of their way to make us happy. I hope we can visit again soon.

Pura Vida!

Room Tip: We really enjoyed 503. I think it has the best views in the resort.
3 Thank Pecadora
Middletown, Ohio, United States
Reviewed July 3, 2014

My daughter and I stayed in June. Out of the three places we stayed, this was the best. The beach is to die for and the staff was incredibly warm and helpful. We saw more wildlife here than any other place we stayed. Luis took great care of us at lunch and dinner and even sought us out at the beach and brought us drinks. Alex was so sweet calling us "chickas" and running us around on the carts. The food was the best we had in CR. The bed was amazing. So comfortable. The reasons for less than five stars was the spotty internet, and the jets did not work in our Jacuzzi. We will be coming back.

3 Thank Rebecca M
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights with husband and four year old son as part of 8 day Cr trip. We had just come from the Springs resort in Arenal so were a bit disappointed at first with Arenas. We had an ocean view suite. The rooms are nice but high end luxurious like Springs. Tile floors, plain furniture. The location is great though. Our room was right next to the bottom pool (good for kids) and the private beach. There are two restaurants, one for breakfast and dinner and one for lunch. Food is ok but pricey. Service is excellent. You're taken on golf carts around the steep, hilly property so meet a lot of the staff. Had a live band at dinner one night, fun events and themed cocktails for World Cup games, and a special dinner menu one night. Took the resort's shuttle service to lunch in town once. Nice place!

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Anu M
Albany, New York
Reviewed July 1, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a few nights on our honeymoon and loved every second. We stayed in an Ocean View Premium Suite and it was perfection: huge balcony with a hot tub overlooking the ocean. Room as clean and had a giant bathroom which we loved...just remember to keep the windows and doors closed otherwise monkeys will get in! Food was great and the beach is excellent. There were two that we visited, one public and one private. Both were great and the people were super nice. You can also walk down the public beach to the nearby town and take a tour of Manuel Antonio National Park which was beautiful. The staff was amazing and treated us like family. They knew us by name and suggested activities based on our personalities. It was hard to leave and we can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Stay in an Ocean View Premium Suite if you can, the rooms are spacious and have a great view!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nicole C
Reviewed June 30, 2014

I recently returned from Arenas Del Mar, and must say that my experience was fabulous. From the moment they picked me up at the airport, all the way to my return, back to the airport. Let me give you the highlights -

1. Eating breakfast at the upstairs restaurant. The food was amazing. They start you off with fresh fruit, and homemade juices and coffees. Delicous!!! When the entree comes out, all I can say is wow. The local dishes were excellent. One morning while eating breakfast, the local troop of monkeys litteraly ran through. It was awesome. My wife and I both stopped eating and just looked at them with sheer wonder. I am still amazed how close they come.

2. Watching the world cup and having the resident sloth of the beach area come down to do his weekly business. I never in a million years thought I would get so close. The whole downstairs restaurant litteraly paused and stopped to take pictures.

3. The sun comes up insanely early. One morning I got up early and went out to the deck. A monkey was standing on the ledge of my balcony.

4. The showers in the room are wonderful. Nice high pressure shower in a giant open space. Just really great design of the bathroom through and through. I was pleased.

5. Providing rides to get up and down the mountain. Yes Arenas Del Mar sits atop a small mountain/cliff top.....to get to the beach (if you are staying in one of the rooms at the top of mountain) you have to walk down this giant hill. The walk down is not bad at all. The walk up sucked (especially when you are tanked). After my second walk up, I took advantage of the ride. I was pleasantly surprised with the timeliness and promptness of the pickup. Definitely dont make my mistake. Request the ride - It is available and great option to go up the mountain.

6. If you are a nature lover, you definitely want to take advantage of the tours of the property. The array of flora and fauna on property is stunning. Our tour guide for our tour was Ersel (-may have mis-spelled it). Anyway we also did another tour of another site, and Ersel was our guide again!!!! Wow this guy amazed me with his knowledge and his sheer passion for his job!!!! Definitely get a tour with Ersel if you can....he is really really good! I totally see him getting his own TV show on discovery channel someday!!!!!

As for gripes, I have one minor one (which frankly I am not sure is the resorts fault)....the internet speed in the room is on par with 56k modem speeds. For checking email that is fine, but for streaming video not so much. Again, I dont think this anything the resort can control. I am assuming due to the resort's remoteness from a major city hub, it is the best speed they can provide.

And finally my last bit of advise....obviously if you are visiting Arenas Del Mar, you are probably planning on visiting Manual Antonio National Park-this park was good but the sheer crowds made this not as good an experience as it could have been. My fiancee and I had a much better time at Rainmaker forest. Rainmaker is not as crowded, and you get a much better perspective of wildlife I thought. You also get to experience the hanging bridges here...which was just sheer fun, and a waterfall at the end (- For purposes of full disclosure I should mention that at Manual Antonio you end at a beach)!

Finally to summarize our experience, We loved it and look forward to returning someday soon in the future!

Room Tip: Think carefully about what you want....I wanted a view and so choose a room high on the mountain. I...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple