Arenas del Mar Beachfront & Rainforest Resort
Hotel San Bada(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
$228
$161
Hotels.com
Great 4.5/5
Los Altos Resort(Manuel Antonio)
$407
$280
Great 4.5/5
La Mariposa Hotel(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
$202
$194
  • Breakfast included
Parador Resort and Spa(Manuel Antonio)
$239
$222
Hotels.com
Great 4.5/5
Gaia Hotel & Reserve(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
$363
Excellent 5/5
Las Cascadas The Falls(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
$118
Great 4.5/5
Si Como No Resort & Wildlife Refuge(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
$199
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
Shana By The Beach, Hotel Residence & Spa(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
$138
$135
Great 4.5/5
Falls Resort at Manuel Antonio(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
$132
Hotwire.com
  • Breakfast included
Tulemar Resort(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
$260
Excellent 5/5
1,977 results
All reviewsgolf cartplayitas beachocean breeze suitetortilla makingprivate beachsustainability tourlocal snackshalloween crabsmirador restaurantcosta ricacart driverstortillaslunch restaurantlower poolnational parkpura vidamain restaurant
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 1, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a few nights on our honeymoon and loved every second. We stayed in an Ocean View Premium Suite and it was perfection: huge balcony with a hot tub overlooking the ocean. Room as clean and had a giant bathroom which we loved...just remember to keep the windows and doors closed otherwise monkeys will get in! Food was great and the beach is excellent. There were two that we visited, one public and one private. Both were great and the people were super nice. You can also walk down the public beach to the nearby town and take a tour of Manuel Antonio National Park which was beautiful. The staff was amazing and treated us like family. They knew us by name and suggested activities based on our personalities. It was hard to leave and we can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Stay in an Ocean View Premium Suite if you can, the rooms are spacious and have a great view!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nicole C
Reviewed June 30, 2014

I recently returned from Arenas Del Mar, and must say that my experience was fabulous. From the moment they picked me up at the airport, all the way to my return, back to the airport. Let me give you the highlights -

1. Eating breakfast at the upstairs restaurant. The food was amazing. They start you off with fresh fruit, and homemade juices and coffees. Delicous!!! When the entree comes out, all I can say is wow. The local dishes were excellent. One morning while eating breakfast, the local troop of monkeys litteraly ran through. It was awesome. My wife and I both stopped eating and just looked at them with sheer wonder. I am still amazed how close they come.

2. Watching the world cup and having the resident sloth of the beach area come down to do his weekly business. I never in a million years thought I would get so close. The whole downstairs restaurant litteraly paused and stopped to take pictures.

3. The sun comes up insanely early. One morning I got up early and went out to the deck. A monkey was standing on the ledge of my balcony.

4. The showers in the room are wonderful. Nice high pressure shower in a giant open space. Just really great design of the bathroom through and through. I was pleased.

5. Providing rides to get up and down the mountain. Yes Arenas Del Mar sits atop a small mountain/cliff top.....to get to the beach (if you are staying in one of the rooms at the top of mountain) you have to walk down this giant hill. The walk down is not bad at all. The walk up sucked (especially when you are tanked). After my second walk up, I took advantage of the ride. I was pleasantly surprised with the timeliness and promptness of the pickup. Definitely dont make my mistake. Request the ride - It is available and great option to go up the mountain.

6. If you are a nature lover, you definitely want to take advantage of the tours of the property. The array of flora and fauna on property is stunning. Our tour guide for our tour was Ersel (-may have mis-spelled it). Anyway we also did another tour of another site, and Ersel was our guide again!!!! Wow this guy amazed me with his knowledge and his sheer passion for his job!!!! Definitely get a tour with Ersel if you can....he is really really good! I totally see him getting his own TV show on discovery channel someday!!!!!

As for gripes, I have one minor one (which frankly I am not sure is the resorts fault)....the internet speed in the room is on par with 56k modem speeds. For checking email that is fine, but for streaming video not so much. Again, I dont think this anything the resort can control. I am assuming due to the resort's remoteness from a major city hub, it is the best speed they can provide.

And finally my last bit of advise....obviously if you are visiting Arenas Del Mar, you are probably planning on visiting Manual Antonio National Park-this park was good but the sheer crowds made this not as good an experience as it could have been. My fiancee and I had a much better time at Rainmaker forest. Rainmaker is not as crowded, and you get a much better perspective of wildlife I thought. You also get to experience the hanging bridges here...which was just sheer fun, and a waterfall at the end (- For purposes of full disclosure I should mention that at Manual Antonio you end at a beach)!

Finally to summarize our experience, We loved it and look forward to returning someday soon in the future!

Room Tip: Think carefully about what you want....I wanted a view and so choose a room high on the mountain. I loved it, but as I mention above....the walk from beach up to room was a pain until I started using the onsite shuttle service.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chuck T
Reviewed June 30, 2014

After a four hour ride to get to the hotel, my first impression was not positive. We arrived to a small area which was not inviting and you could not see the hotel or beach. However, that impression changed quickly. The people were excellent and the hotel was nice. The view from the room was outstanding. The services was perfect, the hotel went out of their way to have a small surprise for the granddaughter whose birthday was coming up a few days later. It was great to have the animals in the area to see.
The only negative is that the rooms are beginning to show their age. They need a paint job and for the tile floors to be steam cleaned.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank bubba65
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Overall the property here is very nice. You are embedded in nature with the trees and all the animals around. You can see monkeys jumping around in the trees and different types of lizards at the pool or sunbathing on the walkway. There are two pools, private beach and access to the public beach where you can walk to manuel antonio. It's a smaller resort so there was not a ton of people around which my husband and I prefer over large resorts. You could relax at the pool or the beach and it was great.

What makes this property standout is the staff. Every single person was helpful in any and every way possible.Our initial room was a little smaller than expected and the staff upgraded our room as soon as they had an opening. Costa Rica was playing in the world cup and my husband wanted a jersey so a staff member took us in to town to get one! They really go above and beyond here!

As for the rooms, my suggestion is if you don't spend a ton of time in the room, the standard room is fine but they are small (smaller than a standard hampton for example). If you like to relax at night in your room or spend more time there, I highly recommend booking one of the suite options.

Last, we did a tour with Irsel and he is amazing! We did a private hike in the national park and it was worth it! He knew so many things about plants, bugs, monkeys. We got to see so many things on that hike and Irsel was awesome and of course like the rest of the staff friendly.

Overall great resort, awesome staff and we plan to come back again!

Room Tip: Suggest a suite if you like larger rooms. We were down at the bottom which was great as you had quick access to the beach and pool.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2014

We had a wonderful weeklong stay at Arenas del Mar. The resort is beautiful, the pools are nice, and the beach access is about the best in MA.
The service was great. We truly felt welcomed and there was someone to help anytime we had a question.
My daughter had her birthday there and everybody that saw her told her happy birthday. She was amazed when the cart driver acknowledged her birthday at 6am that morning. The resort also sent a surprise birthday cake. And the spa added a complimentary manicure when I booked a couple's massage for my daughter and me as her birthday gift. It was a very special day for her!
The grounds are steep. But, carts arrive very quickly.

Room Tip: I recommend a room in one of the lower three buildings. They are farther from reception and the main restaurant. But, closer to the lower (more private) pool and beach. The Playitas snack bar is right there as well.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family