Arenas del Mar Beachfront & Rainforest Resort
La Mariposa Hotel(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
$200
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Plaza Yara(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
$110
Si Como No Resort & Wildlife Refuge(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
$244
  • Breakfast included
Las Cascadas The Falls(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
$118
$114
Gaia Hotel & Reserve(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
$357
$315
Hotel La Colina(Manuel Antonio)
$59
$52
La Posada Private Jungle Bungalows(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
$119
$95
Makanda by the Sea(Manuel Antonio)
$300
Shana By The Beach, Hotel Residence & Spa(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
$290
$168
Tulemar Resort(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
$495
1,981 results
All reviewsgolf cartplayitas beachocean breeze suitetortilla makingprivate beachsustainability tourlocal snackshalloween crabsmirador restaurantcosta ricacart driverstortillaslunch restaurantlower poolnational parkpura vidamain restaurant
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Want to start by saying what an amazing staff. They're the nicest people. They are ahead of you with your every need. They think of what you want before you even ask for it. Is there anything better than sitting on your balcony and watching monkeys swing by. A little later a sloth hanging around. And the wildlife just continues. Listening to the ocean... just wow. My honeymoon could not have been any better. Even the reception area has no walls just a ceiling and desks, yet so modern. And anytime you want to get anywhere around the hotel there's a kart waiting to move you around if you so desired. Love this place!

3  Thank Ahmed R
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Really impressed with the actitude shown by the entire staff. They made us feel most welcomed all the time. People in Costa Rica are known to be warm and friendly, the people from Arena del Mar are extra special. Will be going back for sure.

2  Thank Jjimenez1308
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Arenas Del Mar was amazing from start to finish! From the moment we pulled up we were greeted with the warmest smiles. It was really late and all of our kids were exhausted! They took all of our bags to our rooms and set up a table in their restaurant for us to eat something. The food was delicious and the service outstanding!! The rooms were huge and clean and beautiful!! Everyone who works here couldn't be nicer! They knew us all by name and were so helpful and made our stay so enjoyable and fun!! The beach was beautiful, the pools were fun and the wildlife was amazing!!! They would help us find great places to eat and even take us there! I can't say enough wonderful things about this hotel and the staff. Robin, one of our favorites, even gave us beautiful hand crafted gifts when we left. We can't wait to go back!!!! The best place to stay in Costa Rica!!!!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are awesome. They take you anywhere on their golf carts!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Andisue14
Reviewed May 12, 2014

I work at a resort so I understand the importance of great service. It can make or break your hotel stay. At Arenas Del Mar, it made it! They have this way of treating you as if you are the only person at the resort and that you are the most important person there. They always remember your name, what you like to do. If you scheduled a trip through the hotel, they remember. They treat with this warmth that makes you feel as if you are a member of their family. Thank you to everyone who made our stay as wonderful as it was. Pura Vida my new friends.

Room Tip: The only negative was the location of our room, which we grew to overlook. We were in 101-B which had a partial view of the beach, a view of the bathroom and facility room hut by the pool and an old rusty air conditioning unit and some trees which were more brush that pretty to look at.. But the view changed an hour after we arrived when 5 white faced monkeys out on a private show for us. Next time I will pay the extra and upgrade our room. The room itself was great,
3  Thank Karen L
Reviewed May 12, 2014

It really kills me to give Arenas del Mar only 3 stars because I really wanted to love this place. It was the resort I was the most excited about staying at and the one I spent the most time researching. (I am very well-traveled, have very reasonable expectations and do a ton of research before I go to a place, which is why I thought I had chosen well.)

Let me preface my review by saying that there are many great aspects of this hotel. First, the staff and service are second to none. The staff is absolutely lovely, kind, accommodating, and prompt. They also went out of their way on several occasions to help point out animals on the property, which we really appreciated. In fact, we saw more wildlife on the property than we did on our 4 hour guided tour through the park!

Also, I'm surprised by how many average reviews there are of the food. I thought the food was outstanding! It was very fresh, well-presented, and tasty. The seafood was especially delicious. We ate their for breakfasts, 2 lunches and 2 dinners and were never disappointed. The only negative I'll say with regard to the food is that it's pretty pricey. Lunch for a family of 4 (with my two kids splitting a dish, my husband and I each getting a wrap, and a plate of chips/salsa) was $80! We had a car while there and went out for several lunches and dinners instead of eating in everyday because of the price, not the quality of the food.

The pools are small, but nice temperatures and clean. Yes, it's a hike to get to them or the beach, but we didn't mind the walk or the golf cart ride. Frankly, we usually walked and found it a good way to burn a few calories. :-) It was no big deal for us, but if you have health problems or mobility problems, I can see it being an issue.

I'm not normally one to give poor reviews for small things, nor am I one to complain. But I gave this hotel a 3 star rating because of the poor housekeeping and the maintenance of the rooms. We had a family of 4, so we were in an oceanfront premium suite because it was the only room big enough for all of us. The room was spacious, but in extreme need of maintenance. The paint was peeling off the walls and ceilings, especially in the bathrooms, the tile in the bathrooms were completely molded and covered in mildew, and the rooms weren't clean...at all, which is a deal breaker for me. There were several days when I came in as the housekeeper was leaving and there would be live and dead bugs all over the floor that she supposedly just cleaned. There was also a lizard in our room. We didn't so much mind that because we figured it would eat the bugs that the cleaning people left behind! I understand that this is the jungle and that this is an eco-friendly resort (i.e., no pesticides) and that critters come with the territory to a certain extent and I'm okay with that. However, if things wander in a few hours after the housekeeper has left, that's one thing. If there's still bugs on the floor when the housekeeper left 30 seconds ago, that's quite another thing.

More disturbing that all of that, though, was the fact that we ordered room service one night, as did someone else in the building and the dishes sat outside on the stoop for well over 24 hours! That was unbelievable to me. Doesn't a hotel in a jungle want to deter bugs from coming into the building?! It got to be a running joke each day with my family..."let's take bets on whether the dirty dishes will still be sitting outside when we come back today!"

For the price we paid for our room (well over $400/night for low season), the rooms should be pristine, dishes should be removed within a couple hours from outside the room, and paint/tile shouldn't be molded and peeling. Imagine my surprise when I learned that the resort had only been open for 6.5 years! It looked like it had been open for 20. I understand that humidity can wreak havoc on these materials, but for these prices, it should be cleaned or replaced more regularly.

Overall, the negatives weren't enough to outweigh the positives of the location, the beach, the wildlife on the property, the staff, and the great food. But I was disappointed with the lack of cleanliness and upkeep of the rooms and think it should be better cared for when people are paying those sorts of prices. For comparison, we also stayed at Silencio del Campo in Arenal during our stay and that, for me, was a wonderful little hotel for less than half the price. It was spotlessly clean and well-maintained.

I still would recommend this hotel to others, though, if Arenas del Mar replaces the bathroom/bedroom tile and does a little clean up around the buildings.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family