“Favorite Hotel in Costa Rica”

Arenas del Mar Beachfront & Rainforest Resort
Ranked #4 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Houston, Texas
“Favorite Hotel in Costa Rica”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My family of four stayed in this hotel during a recent vacation and it was our favorite of the three we stayed in. The staff are fabulous! They go out of their way to be helpful and even anticipate your needs. This is a small-ish hotel very near the Manuel Antonio National Park (rainforest) on the Pacific side. Only about 40 or so rooms. It is built into the side of a hill, and you can get around by golf carts. We got to know several of the drivers very well. Believe them when they say to lock your balcony doors at night -- we closed, but didn't lock, and monkeys stole snacks from our minibar overnight! The beach is beautiful as well. We took a tour of the park with a guide from the hotel, and saw many animals, birds, insects, and even an alligator. Try the "casada" plate at the restaurant while you are there. Delicious Costa Rican specialty.

Room Tip: Choose bldg 1-3 if you want to be by the pool. Choose 4-7 if you want to be closer to the beach.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Marie S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (576)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I wanted to take my wife and two children (ages 12 & 14) on a vacation that would be both relaxing and educational. We decided upon Arenas del Mar because of it's incredible location; on a beachfront AND in a rainforest? Sounded perfect... and it was. I could not have imagined a more spectacular vacation! My children toured and learned firsthand about our precious rainforests and it's delicately balanced ecosystem and saw an amazing number of animals. I could not have been more impressed with the way this resort introduced and taught my children about the importance of environmental responsibility. Awesome, awesome, awesome!
The facility and amenities far exceeded my expectations also. I am a food and beverage industry general manager, so I tend to be hard to please and highly critical of resort operations. Every member of the staff we came in contact with here is OUTSTANDING! From the welcome at the Front desk to the driver's that took us wherever and whenever we wanted to go, to the breakfast, lunch and dinner serving staff; the service was top notch. Everyone knew our names within 12 hours of our arrival; amazing. They were consistently friendly and cheerful and seemed intent on doing whatever they could to make our stay more enjoyable. What a pleasure for me to spend an entire week experiencing guest services that I spend my days trying to instill in my staff. Delightful. The rooms are perfect too; large comfortable beds and balconies with views of the ocean and the rainforest. Spectacular. I would be remiss if I did not mention how relaxing and therapeutic the constant background sounds from the ocean are and the music of the rain on the leaves in the forest. Without question, my week in Arenas del Mar was the best vacation my family and I have ever had. Thank-you, Julio, Minor, Louis, Yahaira, Ersel and everyone else that helped us enjoy our stay. We can't wait to comeback again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank gary D
Costa Rica
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for two nights, in August and I have to admit that is one of the must luxurious and delightful experiences I have ever enjoyed in Costa Rica.

I shall start by saying that it is located at the top of a cliff where you have an amazing view of the ocean and the forest. It is almost like a dream to feel the wind in your face, and at the same time listening to the waves breaking on the shore. So far that sounds normal until you experience it in your own fantastic terrace sublimely accompanied by all the comfort and ammenities you find in each room at Arenas del Mar.

Talking about the rooms:
They are small, but they have all you need to make your stay fantastic. The bathroom is spacious, the bed and is very comfortable and clean. You wil definetily have a hard time trying to get up. You also have a mini bar with some snacks and beverages you can have for free.
The TV is really small but with the view, the beach, the bed, the pool, and the different eco-friendly activities you won't have time to use it.
In your room you can have free local and international phone calls and free Wi-Fi connection.

Talking about the Staff:
The Staff is really, really respectful, friendly and attentive. They all speak English and will make you feel like home. In fact, the bell boys or golf-cart boys will take you anywhere, anytime.

(Due to geographical reasons you will have to be using golf carts to move around the hotel but with a simple call to the front desk you won't have any problem to get to your destination: Pool, Lobby, Beach, main restaurant, lounge, bar, parking lot, etc.)

It is one of the most spectacular and secure places where you can stay in Manuel Antonio. I am from Cartago, Costa Rica and I have been in many hotels in the Central Pacific area, and this is by far one of the best and finest hotels you will find. If you are thinking about a fantastic gateway or a unique Honeymoon you won't find any other place like this. For instance, this is the only hotel where I have had the opportunity to have a romantic meal right on the beach. No building, no concrete, just the beach your table, the palms and the candles and your names written on the sand! Priceles!

The only complaint I have is that is that the information facilitated in the room is just in English. What about the TICOS that do not speak English. I found that a little offensive but it can be easily solved. One more thing, the menu offered at lunch is expensive and they will mainly offer fast food such as burritos, hamburgers, pizza. Please, I deeply suggest including some typical dishes as well.
Finally, I have to say that every penny is worth, however all those details and uniqueness come with a price not all TICOs can afford. In general terms is very expensive in comparison with other hotels located through the Pacific coast; however it is something I recommend to do at least once in your life: You won't regret.
I am very thankful for all the friends and smiles my wife and I recieved there.
Thank you really much.

I hope you can visit this romantic, eco-friendly, sustainable hotel.
Do not miss the TOTILLA tour and do not forget to contribute with your tree!
God bless you all!

Room Tip: Las suites del edificio junto al lobby tienen la mejor vista, y una mayor cercanía con las areas com...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ajmartnz
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed August 29, 2013

My husband and I had a fantastic few days at Arenas del Mar, where we spent the last three days of our honeymoon. The entire country was filled with friendly, excellent service, but this hotel took the cake. From the bell boys to the bartenders, they were friendly, professional, personable, and always remembered our names. They were helpful in setting up tours and spa appointments, carting us around the steep sidewalks, and transporting our luggage whenever necessary. By the end of the three days we felt as though we had made friends.

The two beaches are the most beautiful I have ever seen - especially the smaller one which is private. Towels, beach chairs and lounges are all provided, and drinks and snacks are served while you sit under the beach trees or swim in the ocean. It was truly incredible.

We saw more wildlife in Manuel Antonio - including while at the hotel - during our first couple days there than we had in all the rest of our trip through San Jose and La Fortuna. A pack of squirrel monkeys came through the trees right by our room just after our arrival. They were adorable and it was truly and incredible experience.

The drinks and food were very good, though not as good as they were at Tabacon, which is where we had stayed earlier in our trip, however they were much more decently priced and everything was tasty and enjoyable. Their dinner restaurant has a good selection of dishes, and they cater to many tastes, including vegetarians. Also, their happy hour was excellent, during which their drink menu was half off.

The room was super comfortable - I wanted to keep the bed and sheets, they were so comfy! And the room is surprisingly quiet, given all the wildlife noise going on outside, as well as the beach waves crashing just yards from our room. We slept so well here, and were up early each day to drink complimentary coffee on our balcony.

The spa is also worth checking out - we enjoyed massages and I had a pedicure. All excellent.

I cannot recommend this hotel enough!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank wykydkytten
Willow Grove
Reviewed August 27, 2013

My husband and two children ( ages 14and 12) spent an amazing week here. Arenas del Mar has all! Rainforest, gorgeous beaches, spectacular views, incredible wildlife ! Monkeys , iguanas and sloths...oh my! The staff is exceptional, always going above and beyond. The night of our arrival I had terrible heartburn. I got back to the room, there was a knock at the door. It was Julio, the bartender, with a hot drink to cure my heartburn. It worked like magic! We did a few excursions, zip-lining and a tour of the rainforest. Both excellent. The food was great. My favorite was the spicy tuna tropical wrap.....ate it everyday! If you are traveling to Costa Rica, Arenas del Mar is the place to stay!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Lynn D
McLean, Virginia
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Our group of 5 (parents and our adult kids) stayed at Arenas Del Mar for 4 nights in the first week of June. Although everyone was friendly, Ersel Aguilar, the guide for the nature excursions (bird-watching on the hotel grounds, Manual Antonio Park, Hanging Bridges and Waterfalls) was the best! Really knowledgeable, so personable, wonderful guy! His enthusiasm for nature is contagious. Wear bathing suits under your clothes to Hanging Bridges because Ersel talked us into swimming in one of the pools under the waterfalls and it was the highlight of our trip. (Bring bathing suits to the park, too, since there is time to swim in the gorgeous and safe beach there.) Also can HIGHLY recommend the night walk Arenas Del Mar sponsors that takes you to a small nature park at Hotel Si Como No about 10 minutes away. It was dark and raining, but we had flashlights and ponchos so it was not a problem, in fact I think you'll see more frogs in the rain. We will never forget the sights and sounds of the frogs at night and Jesus Christ lizard our guide caught and released so we could see him running across the water.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank FaySunshine
Centerport
Reviewed August 25, 2013

My husband and I spent a few nights here after spending some time in La Fortuna. The entrance is down a steep hill, so we were a little hesitant because the bus (that we took half way across CR) had some trouble. We were relieved when we were dropped off in a beautiful costa rican rain forest! The hotel has some steep hills but the staff offer golf cart pick ups anywhere, any time. There is a private beach which is breath taking, quiet and relaxed. There is a hotel bar by the beach which offers an amazing lunch and signature cocktails. A pool is there as well. My husband and I had a room with a view of the ocean and it was simply amazing! Over all areas del mar was perfect! The restaurant is very good, though my fish was a tad undercooked one night. They gave me a new dish and dessert free of charge. Just picture a hotel built in the rainforest on the edge of a beach and you have arenas del mar.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple