“Best location in Manual Antonio!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Arenas del Mar Beachfront and Rainforest Resort, Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica

Arenas del Mar Beachfront and Rainforest Resort, Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Merritt Island, Florida
“Best location in Manual Antonio!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We didn't get the chance to stay at this resort, but spent the day there on their beach.

We wanted to go back to the beach, but have the luxury of lounge chairs and drink access. We called the hotel for a day rate, but they said to just come by and have lunch and we can use their chairs. We got there a little early (10am), and the staff was very welcoming and eager to show us their resort! They brought us by gold cart to their beach area, offered us towels, let us use their lounge chairs, and were very nice! We (of course) ordered drinks on the beach, and had lunch as well.

We pretty much had the beach to ourselves and had a great day. I only wished we had stayed here instead of our resort!!!!

Room Tip: The have a beach front building that is truly beachfront!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MJ P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

This was by far our favorite place we stayed in Costa Rica! First all staff was the best. So friendly and helpful. From drivers of the golf cart, concierge, bar tenders, servers... We felt welcome and at home. The property is beautiful, breathtaking, and relaxing. We had monkeys come by our balcony while having a view of the ocean. Best food we had on our trip. We never ate elsewhere. We took the Manuel Antonio Park tour with Francisco. Best excursion,/experience. We saw monkeys, sloths, endangered birds, rainbow grasshoppers, tree frog eggs, cayman, spiders, frogs... So many animals! Then Francisco was our guide for tortilla making class with Mama Elisa. It was a wonderful and fun tour and we learned authentic tortilla making and it tasted delicious. I was sad to leave this place but the memories we made here will never be forgotten. Pura Vida!!!

• Stayed July 2013
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Just got back from Costa Rica and stayed at this wonderful hotel. My wife and I stayed in 3 different rooms over 4 nights at this facility and, frankly, they were hit and miss. Room 403 had a bed, that's it. 401 was fantastic - sea view, large jacuzzi (which we never used, but it was impressive all the same), room for a table and separate seating area. 501 was not quite as nice but had a jet for a shower. Enough of the quibbling - the staff was fantastic and bent over backwards to assist - and did so with a smile on their faces. The beach access was ideal - there was access to a "private" beach (locals could technically get to it, but it was not easy) and a public beach.

We took signed up for two tours, one to the Manuel Antonio reserve. It was okay, but expensive, especially in light of the fact that over the course of our stay we saw nearly every animal (and then some) on the property itself! I HIGHLY recommend the bird tour which takes place on the property. It cost $25 and was an exceptional value. We were the only 2 on the tour and the 1 1/2 hour tour lasted 3 hours. We saw over 25 birds (including a rare juvenile red footed booby - apparently blown off course), 3 types of monkeys, 2 & 3 toed sloths and innumerable lizards.

And did I mention the beach....

One other very small downside - the food was only fair at the hotel (but we found some good food at the Gaia hotel).

I'd give this place an extra 1/2 star but that's not possible here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Arenas del Mar is nothing less than perfect. My boyfriend and I decided to spend the second part of our week long vacation at a more upscale location but it was very important to me that it was 'sustainable' as well. This hotel has everything from luxury to sustainability. I didn't realize it was possible to combine both but the sustainability tour around the property with Francisco truly brought this to light. I learned so much and plan to take all of these teachings back to my life in NYC. Our room was spectacular - highly recommend 101A. Each about ten feet apart, our view went like this: huge, luxurious bed -- beautiful balcony -- big jacuzzi on the balcony -- warm, well lit swimming pool, sandy private beach. Literally, all at our fingertips. We didn't have to bring anything anywhere either - towels were always waiting for us and food, drinks, and tours were charged to our room. The staff were phenomenal. I wish I could name them all but every single one treated us like we were kings - and it was genuine too. Francisco was the perfect tour guide, filled with laughter, passion, excitement, and knowledge. Tortilla making was so much fun with him and Mama Elisa. Rodbin and all of guest services were incredible as were the entire kitchen staff. Breakfast was so memorable, eating with animals and having our orders practically memorized by our servers (they remembered to bring my boyfriend's Equals with his iced coffee each morning!). This was the first hotel I have ever stayed at where I didn't think of leaving. The property is stunning and filled with wildlife, including iguanas that lived right outside our window. We had one particular favorite who we even named - he greeted us each morning with a smile! The bathrooms were beautiful and the toiletries that are provided, including the mango body lotion, smell delicious. The food in the restaurant and the drinks at the bar were unique and so tasty. I loved the red snapper and one night they didn't have it... but they ordered it so I could have it on my last night. By far the best piece of fish I have ever eaten. Their welcome drink is so good - I ordered it mixed with Costa Rican rum for the rest of my stay! The only "bad" thing was when a very large spider appeared in our room. I've never screamed so loudly in my life - but Leo, the manager of guest services, came to our room within (what appeared to be) seconds to remove it. We ended up joking around about it and he actually checked around for others upon my terrified request. Surprisingly, I didn't think about the spider again. There are many, many nice hotels out there but Arenas del Mar is truly something special. The combination of luxury and sustainability with top class service made our vacation perfect. Huge thanks to everyone there - we highly recommend anyone stay here on your vacation to Manuel Antonio!

Room Tip: 101A was perfect. Ground level, perfect view of the beach and pool, amazing jacuzzi tub, so much spa...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jessie L
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We spent two nights at Arenas del Mar at the end of our June visit to Costa Rica. The area, grounds and beach were beautiful; wildlife was everywhere and added to the experience; the service was excellent! It was a nice walk down the beach to get into town. The only disappointment for the price was our room. We stayed in a Garden Room which was clean and had a nice outdoor sitting area to relax and enjoy the peacefulness of the area; aside from that, the room was small and very average - nothing but a bed, 2 nightstands and a TV could fit in the room. Not a great value for the price. If we stayed there again, it would not be for the value of the room itself.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
No. Weare NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Not one beautiful beach, but two! Be sure to take a surf lesson with Alex.
Hotel staff could not possibly have been more accommodating or the room and view more beautiful. Breakfast was perfect each morning.
It's remote, so bring some snacks and drinks for the mini-fridge. Though you likely will not want to leave, there is a tiny beach town at the end of Espadilla Beach that's fun to walk to.

Room Tip: Buildings I-III will be closer to the water [Playitas Beach] and to that swimming pool, however, it...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank lm26Weare
Tulsa, Ok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

It's hard to put our trip into words. We loved Arenas Del Mar! Upon arriving, Rodbin (who we adore) showed us a baby sloth that had fallen from a tree. Rodbin had put the baby back into a tree but was able to pull the tree down and show us the sloth face to face. A real treat for the kids (and me)! I made the "mistake" of asking if lactose free milk was available at the resorts. Before we had finished the check in process, Rodbin had arranged for it to be delivered to our room from the Manuel Antonio grocery store. Our entire stay, the staff was amazing. They all took the time to learn our names and their service made our trip so much more enjoyable. Rodbin, Luis, Brandon, and so many more made our stay wonderful (I wish I could remember all their names)

The resort itself is amazing. Nestled inside the rainforest but on the beach makes it the perfect idyllic setting. The wildlife was astounding. We saw sloths, squirrel monkeys, white faced monkeys, howler monkeys, Jesus Christ lizards, iguanas, halloween crabs, snakes, frogs, hermit crabs, butterflies, etc on a daily basis. The layout of the resort couldn't have been better.

We stayed in Rooms 503A & 503B. We had an amazing view of the ocean. We could hear the ocean waves crashing in with the patio doors closed and the air conditioner on. It was perfection. The beds in the room were the absolutely most comfortable, I've ever slept on in a hotel. The large patio on 503A was wonderful. We had a hottub for two, chairs with a footstool and a daybed with all sorts of large comfortable pillows. The bathrooms were huge and had great shampoo and conditioner! Each day housekeeping would leave some native Costa Rican snacks, called Tico Snacks. This was a huge hit with the kids!

The resorts two swimming pools are great. Especially the one near the beach. The beach was great with very comfortable chairs and wonderful foam beds. I took several naps out there! The ocean was too rough to swim in for my little kiddos but we enjoyed the sand, view and sound.

Breakfast, lunch and happy hour was constantly wonderful. You must try a local favorite drink called Guaro & Fresca, I loved it. Dinner was good but we did try all sorts of local Manuel Antonio places.

The spa was very nice. I really enjoyed my massage. Concierge was very helpful in booking our excursions. We did the guided tour of the national park, zip lining, butterfly garden, tortilla making (Mama Lisa was great) and a boat outting. All were with wonderful vendors.

We traveled during June 2013. While this is technically rainy season, I was pleasantly surprised to have mostly beautiful days. The few thunderstorms we did have were in late afternoon/ early evening and oh-so-relaxing.

In short, I can't wait to go back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: 503 had a great view of the ocean!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family