“Great pleace, great location, affordable rates !”
Review of Hotel Mandarina

Hotel Mandarina
Ranked #24 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I found this place to be very charming, conviniently located (close to the beach, restaurants, bars, bank, bus stop)
The rooms were very clean, the breakfast very tasty and the staff very helpful !
I did not find any of the issues that other people mentioned here !
I would recommend this place to all my friends and family.

Room Tip: The studio rooms are in a higher level and are molre spacious than the standard and I think some peo...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
tangerineTangerine, Manager at Hotel Mandarina, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2013

Thanks Robert for the nice review...Looking forward to see you again !!!!!!!!

Reviewed January 30, 2013

No water over New Year's Eve, then no hot water. Years ago it might have been a nice place but the lack of maintenance, lack of up-keep, mold in rooms, loss of water for complex, then loss of hot water for some rooms as well as lack of food/drink availability (except for breakfast) made the stay Manuel Antonio very unpleasant. Then, the manager told us after the fact when we demanded money back that they didn't actually lose water. I think we'd know if we didn't have water, thank you. If the hotel accepted responsibility and offered some sort of compensation, that would be one thing. But to deny there was a problem is wrong. STAY AWAY from Mandarina!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
tangerineTangerine, Owner at Hotel Mandarina, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2013

We are truly sorry for you and your friend's lousy stay at Hotel Mandarina. All I can say is that we have a new manager, Lorena, with years of hotel experience, running Hotel Mandarina. She has done a great job cleaning up the grounds and fixing the problems since starting in January.
Gary A. Wexler

Reviewed January 16, 2013

The location is good. It's an easy walk to the grocery store and lots of restaurants. The walk down to the beach is pleasant, especially since I saw a group of monkeys playing. The view from the terrace at the back is great - some reviewers have seen monkeys playing there. Not me, but I'm sure it would be amazing. This hotel has a lot of potential.

But right now, it's nowhere near to meeting its potential. Some of the rooms are very moldy. (A colleague complained about the mold in his room, and I thought he was probably being oversensitive until I saw and smelled his room for myself.) Another colleague didn't have a working safe. I had no hot water. They offered me the chance to switch to another room, but the odds of getting something better didn't seem good enough to justify switching.

Details are important in the hotel business. By spending a bit of money and a lot of attention, whoever owns this place could turn it into a much better hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank stevestevesteve_11
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Pros - Good location, nice breakfast, friendly staff
Cons - Tiny rooms, mouldy smell, wifi only reaches first few rooms.
This hotel is in need of basic maintenance. We had a "Studio Room" which was probably the smallest room of any kind I had stayed in. The room had a strong smell of mould which abated somewhat once the air conditioning had been on all day.
Given the range of choices in the area you could certainly do better.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 5, 2013

This was our first trip to Coata Rica and this hotel was the worst part of the trip. We were here for New Year's Eve 2012. The rooms had mould on the walls an smelled like it. We had no tv and the they didn't have the key to operate the safe. When we spoke to the staff about it the response was we know but don't worry it's safe here. The room started with cool water in the shower and the water pressure dropped as you tried to turn up the temperature. On jan 1 the entire hotel lost all water to all the rooms and when asked about when it would be fixed no one could answer the question. When we left some rooms still had no water. Rooms that had water had no hot water. Some of our group lost electricity in there rooms. Not one person even offered an apology for all the problems. The pool area is covered in ants that bite. I would not recommend anyone stay here, it was the worst hotel we have ever stayed at.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We went to hotel Mandarina as a male-female couple, one partner was Costa Rican, in July for 4 days. Very strange room, no privacy for toilet / bathroom and room very cramped. Towels not changed regularly and a dead animal left outside rotting and creating terrible stench until we informed the staff and eventually they removed it. Air conditioning unit very unsatisfactory and noisy. Very gay staff which may put some people off.This was not a good hotel and I have stayed in much better ones in Costa Rica for the same price. I would not recommend it

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peter C
tangerineTangerine, Owner at Hotel Mandarina, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2012

Hello Peter,
I'm sorry you found your room too small. If you had discussed this with reception, perhaps they could have moved you to a larger room, being that this was July and is usually slow. As far as not changing towels regularly.... all you have to do is ask. I don't know what you mean by regularly... once a day... twice a day? If you leave them on the floor, they will change them. If not, they will assume it's ok to leave them as is.
About the dead animal... again... if you were the only person that noticed this, obviously nothing will happen until someone is notified. This was July, when it is slow.
As far as having "staff that is too gay and may put some people off", I find that offensive and I also don't understand why it is necessary to tell us you came as a "male-female couple" How is that relevant? How is our "staff very gay"? Did they prance around in drag screaming and throwing flowers?
I sent this guest a message asking when they stayed and in what room and have not received a response. I wonder if this is even a real review.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

We have stayed here twice now, once in 2005 when it was Hotel Kekoldi, and then again last week (2012) now that it is La Mandarina. This is a great value for the money. The rooms are clean and decent, the staff is helpful and friendly, and the free breakfast is superb. However, there are some caveats. There are lots and lots and lots of steps to go up and down; it is definitely NOT wheelchair accessible. Also, as it is located on the edge of the jungle, there are a fair amount of bugs (mostly ants) that share the space. It is on the rustic side and not what I would call deluxe accommodations. But, rooms are air conditioned and have TV and free WiFi. The pool is very nice with its own waterfall. I would heartily recommend this hotel to anyone who can handle all the steps. One word about the breakfast. We stayed here with a friend who is a native born Costa Rican. He assured us it was perhaps the best Gallo Pinto he has ever had. Good Gallo Pinto takes at least 2 days to make properly, and theirs is absolutely delicious. If you get up early enough, you can spot Capuchin monkeys scampering about on the the rooftops. We also saw humming birds and a tree sloth. One more thing, many of the rooms have showers that are half indoor and half outdoor. They are totally private, but you can see open sky and some tree tops. It is a strange sensation, but I found it enjoyable!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
tangerineTangerine, Owner at Hotel Mandarina, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2012

Hola Arthur!
Thank You for your kind review and compliments about our breakfast! The cook will be happy to hear that! Not all our rooms have open-air showers. Remember to ask about availability, if you do not want this feature.

Pura Vida!