“Hotel Mandarina Manuel Antonio”
Review of Hotel Mandarina

Hotel Mandarina
Burford
“Hotel Mandarina Manuel Antonio”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We went to hotel Mandarina as a male-female couple, one partner was Costa Rican, in July for 4 days. Very strange room, no privacy for toilet / bathroom and room very cramped. Towels not changed regularly and a dead animal left outside rotting and creating terrible stench until we informed the staff and eventually they removed it. Air conditioning unit very unsatisfactory and noisy. Very gay staff which may put some people off.This was not a good hotel and I have stayed in much better ones in Costa Rica for the same price. I would not recommend it

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Peter C
tangerineTangerine, Owner at Hotel Mandarina, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Hello Peter,
I'm sorry you found your room too small. If you had discussed this with reception, perhaps they could have moved you to a larger room, being that this was July and is usually slow. As far as not changing towels regularly.... all you have to do is ask. I don't know what you mean by regularly... once a day... twice a day? If you leave them on the floor, they will change them. If not, they will assume it's ok to leave them as is.
About the dead animal... again... if you were the only person that noticed this, obviously nothing will happen until someone is notified. This was July, when it is slow.
As far as having "staff that is too gay and may put some people off", I find that offensive and I also don't understand why it is necessary to tell us you came as a "male-female couple" How is that relevant? How is our "staff very gay"? Did they prance around in drag screaming and throwing flowers?
I sent this guest a message asking when they stayed and in what room and have not received a response. I wonder if this is even a real review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Hebrew first
New Jersey, United States
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We have stayed here twice now, once in 2005 when it was Hotel Kekoldi, and then again last week (2012) now that it is La Mandarina. This is a great value for the money. The rooms are clean and decent, the staff is helpful and friendly, and the free breakfast is superb. However, there are some caveats. There are lots and lots and lots of steps to go up and down; it is definitely NOT wheelchair accessible. Also, as it is located on the edge of the jungle, there are a fair amount of bugs (mostly ants) that share the space. It is on the rustic side and not what I would call deluxe accommodations. But, rooms are air conditioned and have TV and free WiFi. The pool is very nice with its own waterfall. I would heartily recommend this hotel to anyone who can handle all the steps. One word about the breakfast. We stayed here with a friend who is a native born Costa Rican. He assured us it was perhaps the best Gallo Pinto he has ever had. Good Gallo Pinto takes at least 2 days to make properly, and theirs is absolutely delicious. If you get up early enough, you can spot Capuchin monkeys scampering about on the the rooftops. We also saw humming birds and a tree sloth. One more thing, many of the rooms have showers that are half indoor and half outdoor. They are totally private, but you can see open sky and some tree tops. It is a strange sensation, but I found it enjoyable!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
tangerineTangerine, Owner at Hotel Mandarina, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Hola Arthur!
Thank You for your kind review and compliments about our breakfast! The cook will be happy to hear that! Not all our rooms have open-air showers. Remember to ask about availability, if you do not want this feature.

Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Recently stayed at the Mandarina Hotel and I definitely recommend it. It is about a 25 minute walk to the beach and national park, but a very quick bus stop away. Just across the street are beautiful views of the ocean. You really are in the best spot for eating and getting anywhere. My only complaint was that the "credit card machine was broken," which seems to happen a lot in Costa Rica. Later I realized that it would magically start working if you vehemently denied having any cash on you. I would take this track and have a wonderful trip!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Robert S
tangerineTangerine, Owner at Hotel Mandarina, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear RSWendiman,

Thank you for your kind review. I hope you enjoyed your visit to Costa Rica.
Don't know what was going on with the credit card machine, but we get many guests who pay with credit card. I will ask.

Thank You and Pura Vida!
Gary A. Wexler
Langley City, Canada
Reviewed June 18, 2012

My wife and I went to Costa Rica with another couple. We spend our 2nd week of our trip at the Hotel Mandarina. We had come from a week of hikes, zip lines and rappelling and it was time to relax and hope to see some wild life.
We arrived in the late afternoon and tossed our bags in our rooms. We stayed in the rooms with 1 king size bed. The rooms were very clean and comfortable but slightly odd. You would walk into the door to our room go down 3 steps to the bedroom. Then go down another 3 steps to the bathroom. There are no doors between the bathroom and the bedroom so this could make some travelers a little nervous. I am not a tall guy but in order to sit on the throne I had to put my legs in the shower.
We didn’t spend much time in our room and we were off to the pool. We were in the pool every day at least twice. It’s perfect for a morning dip, afternoon swim or an evening cool down. There is a hot tube as well but I don’t believe it was on during our stay. It was too warm to use it anyway. Every day around 3pm – 5 pm at the Hotel Mandarina a small trip of Monkey’s would leap from tree to tree and eat leaves in the tree’s above the pool. Most days of our trip we would lay in the pool and watch the 20 or so monkeys jump from branch to branch, counting the times they would almost miss their landings but never did.
The staff at the hotel were AMAZING. They were very helpful in finding some good places to eat and best ways down to the beach. The manager recommended we try a sunset sailboat trip it was a good time. Both the ladies that were with us ended up having to take gravol but the free drinks and amazing scenery were well worth it. Every Morning we would get up around 7-8 am and head down for the complementary breakfast. Traditional beans and rice paired with scrabbled eggs, French toast, cereal with fresh fruit. I normally don’t eat a big breakfast so this was perfect.
Our overall experience at the Hotel Mandarina was great. Great location, helpful and friendly staff, clean and we had monkeys and sloths around almost nightly. ( we went to the national park on our 2nd day thinking we would see lots of animals but we defiantly saw more and were closer just lounging in the pool of the hotel. )

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Robert D
, Owner at Hotel Mandarina, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Hola Robert!
Thank You for your kind review. It appears you stayed in Standard room D which has a king size bed. I apologize for the tight bathroom! Most of our bathrooms are more accommodating!!! If there were other rooms available, we would have upgraded you. I hope you found the room comfortable otherwise. If you come back again, we will definitely give you an upgrade at no charge.

I also apologize about the hot tub... but it's usually powered off until a guest requests the front desk to turn it on, to save energy. Also, we don't leave it on after hours for safety reasons.

I am glad the monkeys made their rendezvous during your stay! Monkey sightings are always a highlight and there is no guarantee they will come by at the same time everyday!

Please stay with us again! :>)

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed June 10, 2012

This was my tenth year coming to Manuel Antonio and I have never stayed anywhere else. First and foremost...owners Christopher and Gary are great at reinvesting into the property to make it better each time. Secondly....Andres who is the property manager and friend of ours since we have been coming always makes us feel like we are family. The property is always very clean and the staff from Andres to Randall to the housekeepers and landscapers and security always are so friendly and professional. This year we had had 7 rooms for 7 nights and if we did not have to be back to work we would love to stay here indefinately...LOL. Thank you so much for making our vacation once again one to remember and thank you for taking such great care of us! We are planning our return for 2014 and I am confident we will buy out the property for the timeframe as rave about the hotel and staff each year and more and more people want to come. Andres you are the best! Thank you!!!

Room Tip: the rooms located upstairs have great wifi access but really any room is a good room as they are all...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
tangerineTangerine, Owner at Hotel Mandarina, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Hola Phxaztraveler!

Thanks for your kind words! I am glad you enjoy staying with us!

Con Mucho Gusto!
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed June 9, 2012

This was my second stay with La Mandarina, and I highly recommend it as an affordable option for accommodation in Manuel Antonio. The staff is friendly and helpful, and the rooms are clean and comfortable. The breakfast is quite good and the location is convenient both to Quepos and to the park/beach.

Room Tip: I would recommend requesting a room with an open air shower....so you can hear the monkeys while you...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Hola jdhallchgo!

Thank you for staying at Hotel Mandarina... I am glad you enjoyed it here!
Hope to see you again!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed April 14, 2012

The hotel rooms are nice, but too small. The swimming pool is average, but the hot tub next to it is never on. The staff was incredible rude when we ask for the hot tub to be turn on, so it is like there is no hot tub. Do not be surprise about the breakfast; it is very cheap, and limited. also this hotel do not have an ocean view.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
tangerineTangerine, Owner at Hotel Mandarina, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
Hola Mauricio,
We at Hotel Mandarina are glad you found your room nice. Unfortunately, we have no plans to increase the size of them. I'm sure you survived ok. Our swimming pool is lined with nice blue tiles and has a little waterfall if turned on... however, we could not afford gold trim or Venus statues...sorry about that. We usually leave our hot tub turned off until someone asks to turn it on, in order to conserve energy. I sincerely hope our manager, Andres did not bite your head off when asked.. he is always nice from what I am told!
About the breakfast... again I am sorry you had to make do with eggs or pancakes and coffee and fresh fruit! We were thinking about offering filet mignon and quail eggs with mimosas and bagels imported overnight from New York... but then we would have to raise the prices a bit! But seriously, if a guest decides beforehand that they would like to go somewhere else, like Cafe Milagro (oops... you may not want to go there again, as you felt they were rude), we can deduct $5 per person per day from your bill.
About us not having an ocean view... yes! it is true... we DO NOT have an ocean view and it states this in our website. You can see a partial ocean view from the front of our hotel, but nowhere on our website does it state that our rooms have an ocean view.

Gary A. Wexler