“Best 35$ I spent in 4 weeks in Costa Rica.”
Review of Hotel Coco Beach

Hotel Coco Beach
Ranked #44 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Reviewed August 7, 2012

This is not a four star hotel, but was super value based on its great location. Water was hot and sufficient, owner was friendly and I talked with her until well after 11pm my first night there. Her English was fine as was her Korean and Spanish. She allowed us to park our motorcycles inside the covered dining area too which was great.

Don't get me wrong, this is not a high class place but it is comfortable and sufficiently quirky to justify 35 bucks for the upstairs balcony. if you want to spend over a 100$ off season for top flight hotel, you can walk 200 m down the road and find a room that meets your western expectations.

And if you would take a minute to talk to her or her staff you would find out that she is a great boss---and that she is lonely since her husband passed away. My bet is that many of the bad reviews are from people who expect way more from their money than is reasonable. Trust me. I have been all over that country. Much better than places I have stayed in Dominical, la fortuna, montezuma, santa Teresa, nuevo arenal, etc etc. and beach is nice too...best 50 I spent was in Playas del coco for two room suite and kitchenette and included breakfast for two...going in price was 100$. But they quickly caved to $50...

• Stayed: August 2012

Reviewed June 27, 2012

Terry J you must have smoked some of the funny stuff or you are just a stuck up b****. Anita is one of the most genuine and nice people we met while we were in CR. My husband and I spent 10 days of two week honeymoon at Coco Beach Hotel and it was magical!!! Anita was so accommodating and hospitable.

Reviewed June 27, 2012

This place is located just a short walk from the park entrance which makes it a great place if you want to start your visit there early in the morning.

Despite horrible reviewes we had quite a good stay there - the room was very spacious, we had properly working A/C and a good shower. Plus, everything was clean. Comparing to competition near the park entrance it was great value for money (30USD for a double with private bath).

No real problems, the only minor ones being windows that cannot be properly closed (which makes you wonder about security of this place) and very weak wifi signal in the room.

In general - recommended.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

The Korean lady, Anita, who runs this hotel comes across very nice at first, but after you pay for your room, she becomes very rude and difficult. I paid $40 for a room upstairs, at the end of May, with A/C (ha!), a TV, fridge, breakfast, free wi-fi and a view (a tiny view thru the split in the trees). There is such a large space under the door that the A/C escapes and it barely stays cool enough to sleep under a sheet. You can't reach the A/C unit because it's too high, so you cannot control the temperature. The fan did not work, so I had to ask for another. That saved me from the heat. The bottom sheet did not stay on the bed as it wasn't fitted properly. I was told there was free wi-fi and a computer to use, but when I got there, the one computer, in her office, was apparently not working. She had a sheet draped over it, so I had to pay in town at a internet cafe. I stayed two nights, but the second morning I was leaving early, before breakfast (which was paid for), so I asked her if I could just get a banana or some bread or something to bring with me. She claimed she had nothing and then offered this hard crusty packaged bread from the fridge which I'm sure she was expecting me not to take (and I didn't). She also left the office by 8pm, so if you needed anything after hours, she was no where to be found. I had stayed in Tico family owned hotels up until this point where someone was available until late, where they bent over backwards to help you and the rooms were cheaper but nicer. I would not stay in a foreign owned hotel again in Costa Rica. I felt that she was very cheap. The only good thing about this hotel was that it was a short walking distance to the beach, restaurants and the park reserve. This hotel would have a lot of potential with the right owner.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Teri J
Reviewed May 29, 2012

This little white and orange hotel is 5 minutes walking from the free beach "Playa Espadilla" and 8 minutes walking from the entrance of Manual Antonio National Park. The owner is very kind and offered us a great deal for two nights here. There is a small pool and safe parking. There were some little crabs in the room (about the size of a quarter) that crawl under the door or whatever... but harmless and it made the experiance feel beachy. The hotel overall was a great find! Would def. stay here again! They had AC, fans and good beds... one firm... and one soft.

Room Tip: The upper rooms have beach views... but for $30 or $40 dollars a night the first level rooms were ju...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank World Traveler P
Reviewed May 9, 2012

I had planned to offer a rating of "Very Good", but I selected "Excellent" to offset some of the unjustified low ratings. We paid an excellent off-season rate and this hotel has the best location in town. Yes there are some things that are not perfect about this hotel, but you must factor in the fact that no hotel in Costa Rica will offer an excellent rate and perfection at the same time. We were very pleased with our stay here and we would recommend this hotel to anyone who cares about price and location. We also recommend paying the $5 extra per night for their excellent breakfast.

As an added bonus, we had a two-toed sloth pay us a visit in front of the hotel.

Room Tip: This hotel offers Location, Location, Location. The quality is Costa Rica Standard.
Reviewed May 4, 2012

I wouldn't recommend this hotel to everyone. I love the location and it's cheap, but you get what you pay for. The rooms are comfortable to sleep and there is hot water. The owner/manager comes off as rude, but actually she is very nice. I've stayed here on 3 occassions and I will stay here in the future.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends