WINNER WONDERLAND

“Perhaps the best hostel experience I've had” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hostel Vista Serena

Hostel Vista Serena
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Perhaps the best hostel experience I've had”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

I stayed here for 6 nights in June. I arrived with a friend and she left a few days earlier so I was there alone and it was the perfect hostel to meet people, and explore the area.

I arrived there when I was ill, and after my experience with food poisoning in a 16 person dorm in Nicaragua, I wanted the peace, quiet, and coolness of a 4 person dorm with air conditioning which costed 16 per night. I slept on the bottom bunk near the window the first night and the air conditioning leaked water onto me so I asked to switch the next few nights and then didn't have that problem. I was very comfortable and my sheets were changed out for me a few times while I was there, which is a nice surprise for a hostel!

The view is beautiful. I loved having breakfast overlooking the beautiful farm overlooking the ocean each morning and retiring to the hostel for a home made dinner with friends and to look out onto the rainy ocean. My one criticism of the breakfast, is that it's not really a breakfast, but white or wheat bread with jam, butter, and coffee or tea. Still better than nothing! We enjoyed a few hours of rain most evenings we were there. The porch has hammocks to lounge in, and reading up there was one of my favorite things to do! The supermarket near the hostel is small, so I'd recommend going to the Pali supermarket in Quepos to stock the hostel fridge with a fresher, greater variety of foods. The kitchen is very small, so don't plan huge, involved meals, but most of the time I had no problems and didn't have to fight others for the use of the small stove. Warning: there are cockroaches in the cabinets where the pans are held. This is not because the kitchen is not clean. It's very clean! It's just something you have to deal with in the Costa Rican climate. Because of this, I rinsed all pots and pans before using them. The restaurant has very reasonably priced and DELICIOUS food! I recommend the nachos! It's TONS of delicious food for $8. Way more than I could eat. They also have a fridge that sells some snacks and drinks. No beer, wine, or hard alcohol so bring your own (it's ok to keep in their kitchen.)

I had read these reviews wrong and thought the hostel was 150 Mts north of the Manuel Antonio National Park. It's not. It's 150 Mts north of the school, which is near where the bus picks you up (for 50 cents) to take you to the beach or national park. The bus ride takes about 5 minutes and runs every 20 minutes, I believe. Or you can take it the opposite direction to Quepos. Also 5 minutes, 50 cents.

The people that work there are wonderful, accommodating, nice, fun people! They played cards against humanity with us, helped us switch rooms, knew a lot about the tours and activities offered around the hostel, helped people get to and from San Jose, and were just awesome in general. I loved the dogs hanging out around the hostel. Mica and Asha are the sweetest.

The hostel just has a really laid back, nice, vibe. It's not super crazy. Not your typical party hostel, but I really liked this part about it. There are bars nearby to go to if you want, but if you'd rather just hang out and meet some nice people, drink some beers on the patio, then you're welcome to do that as well. I don't know if it was just the time I was there, but I also liked that there were some "older" people at the hostel. It wasn't just 18-23 year olds but I met many that were 26, 28, 30 years old.

There is a common area inside with a TV, games, and DVD player with a sizable DVD collection as well. Lots of books to borrow as well! There is also WIFI offered, or if you're like me and just had your phone stolen in nicaragua, you can use their computer which is a bit slow, but works! They have a skype-like program on it to use to call the states, or your home country of choice.

I loved this place and would like to return again and again!!! It is inexpensive, beautiful, peaceful, and very accommodating of its guests needs.

Room Tip: I really enjoyed the 4 person dorm rooms and thought that for just $4 extra, it ensured a good night...
      Location
1 Thank bluerainsoup

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Hebrew first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

This was one of my favorite hostels in costa rica.. it had a chill vibe, stunning views and super friendly staff. the rooms were average, very clean. Be sure to grab a smoothie at the smoothie bar!! a short walk to the bus and the "center" of manuel antonio.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Ana M
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

We rented the Loma Linda (top floor) for 7 nights. We had a great time with our three kids. Very spacious, lots of light. Very well located, close to many restaurants, food stores, ATM etc... A 20 min walk to go to the Playa Beisanz beach ( a good workout to come back up on the way back). An easy bus ride to the Manuel Antonio beaches and national park and to Quepos. We enjoyed being able to cook our food (but you need to go to Quepos to find a large enough and reasonably priced food store). The kitchen has all the basics, but the pots and pans are pretty worn out and some would need to be replaced. Although well located and surrounded by vegetation and a mango tree, the house is close to the main road and a somewhat noisy at night.

Room Tip: Get the top floor if you can.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Milpitas, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

When I left Costa Rica, I couldn't stop thinking about the amazing vibe at the Hostel Vista Serena. Everyone, staff included, had such a positive, welcoming, energetic, infectious and loving aura! VS really depicts and represents the popular Costa Rican term "PURA VIDA". It has to be one of the best hostels in Manuel Antonio!

As mentioned by other reviewers, the ocean view is amazing. I spent many of my nights watching the sunset and relaxing in a hammock on the terrace with a good book. FYI, you will be blown away by the sunsets.

And you can't go wrong with the home cooked meals (specifically referring to breakfast), prepared by the amazing kitchen staff.

The hostel is a 5 minute bus ride to Manuel Antonio beach and MA National Park, and a 10 minute bus ride to Quepos!

Will be returning to Costa Rica in a year, and I definitely plan to visit Vista Serena!

2 Thank SadeJL
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

Cracking view (as everyone says) is true. The view is magic, great main balcony with seats, hammocks etc. plenty of info on tours and things to do. Stayed in the four bed dorm and have nothing to complain about. Firm mattress, good fan and plenty of room. One bathroom to 3 rooms I thought might be an issue but as it's low season and not packed it was ok, not sure how it'd go in high season. Full kitchen. Would recommend and stay again. Close walk to all bars, supermarket, bus stop, ATMs etc. good pizza place just round the corner.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nancyness33
South Bend, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014 via mobile

We spent 55 a night and rented the loma linda residences. We thought they were right next to the hostel and were excited about the ocean views. However the residences are 1km away on the main road so there is noise and very limited ocean view. However, no one else rented the other room and we had the top floor to ourselves which was amazing. We watched movies at night, cooked dinner and had a great time. No AC, some fans weren't working and could use more lights in the living room. Overall, I recommend this place, especially if you are 4 of you traveling and can rent the entire top floor. Recommend falafel bar across the street and visiting Playa beisanz.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nomadsunny
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

Vista Serena was an amazing stay, The staff is so friendly and nice, the cooked food you can get there is restaurant-quality, and reasonably priced. People giving poor reviews to this place may just not be cut out for hostel living in general. the bathrooms are functional, rooms are solid quality, but what made my stay better than ANY other place, was the atmosphere, and great people who were also staying there. Once in a lifetime experience, it would be a shame to pass this place up on your visit to Manuel Antonio.

Location