“The most amazing thing in Costa Rica - almost”

and 1 more site!
Hostel Vista Serena
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Since coming to Quepos/Manuel Antonio, our hotels have been either really bad or really amazing.

Vista Serena is so good, we actually changed our travel plans, just to stay at this hotel. The rooms are quiet, but lack AC. No in room wi-fi, but they do have hot water showers.

My girlfriend and I got the private room which includes a semiprivate kitchen/living room (shared with one other couple). The living room/kitchen/and view are the best I have ever had for $50/night and the vibe of the place is great.

We don't have a car, and the busses/taxis make travel to and from wherever you want to go quite easy. There is a grocery store a 5 min walk away and do yourself a favor and catch dinner at Barba Rosa Resteraunt.

My grifriend and I view is amazing, and Quepos/Manuel Antonio are great.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Every time I pass through Manuel Antonio I stay at Vista Serena because it is the beautiful balace between a hostel and family. Watching the sunset view of the water, while reading a book or hammock swinging on the porch, is a favorite activity of most partrons. You can meet fellow travelers from all walks of life here. I have been traveling throughout Costa Rica by myself (33 yrs old), with my friends (20-63 yrs old), and my students (14-18yrs old). No matter the age or level of comfort required, Vista Serena has a bit of everything. I love the cheap bunk beds with a good mattress and A/C right off the main room with all the action. My mom prefers the private rooms with its own common living room and kitchen with its own private porch as well. Conrad and the rest of his staff are always helpful, personable, and knowledgable of the area. They can set you up with excellent tours as well!!! I trust these guys and they have never failed to impress!!! They are also excellent cooks if you manage to catch the restaurant that opens during high season!!!

Room Tip: The comon rooms with four beds have nicer fans and A/C than the large dorm. I think the small amoun...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I can't say more, than I sent contact letter to the owner, and I also filled out the reservation form, but I was totally ignored. Businesses are built by word of mouth and can be also ruined by word of mouth. Nobody I have spoken too had anything good to say about this place.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Vista Serena is a great hostel. Stay here.

My friend and I stayed in a 4-person dorm (11USD/night) without reserving, but I get the feeling a reservation might be necessary deeper into the high season, as the dorms filled up immediately after our arrival. The dorms are set up in little suites, each with a fully-equipped kitchen, one bathroom, and a balcony with a stunning west view of the Pacific. Clean sheets and towels are provided. Hot water showers too. I saw a sloth and flying fauna one morning.

The main area has a similar stunning view with hammocks and lots of seating. Andre and the other desk staff are helpful and can tell you everything you might need to know. There is a TV with movies, and a wall of books for those who are sick of the vista. We had a lot of fun both our nights there. HVS attracts all types so solo travellers can be sure to meet some travel buddies here.

The hostel is a 5 minute walk from the supermarket and from bus stops. The bus takes you to Quepos, or to Manuel Antonio park and costs 250colones. There are plenty of restuarants in the area, but frankly, it's a lot cheaper and more fun to have cook offs with fellow hostel-goers.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed at Vista Serena for one night in a private room next to the main building. Nobody was in the other room in our suite, so we had a bathroom, kitchen, living room and terrace all to ourselves for $30 dollars! It was definitely the best deal of our trip. The whole place was very clean. The staff were very nice and relaxed. The view was so beautiful, a perfect place for watching the sunset over the ocean. We cooked our own food, but the breakfast food they served looked good. There was a huge DVD collect and a computer with internet. It was easy to walk to the supermarket and several restaurants on the road between Quepos and Manuel Antonio, yet it was a bit apart from the really bustling area around the park entrance. It might be hard to sleep late in the morning because of everyone up and about, but who wants to sleep in when you can get to the park early? We would have definitely stayed longer if we had more time!

Room Tip: If you can get one of the double rooms apart from the main building, they offer a bit more privacy t...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We actually didn't end up staying here because of a misunderstanding of what we were booking, but wanted to go out of our way to write a review because Conrad was so friendly and helpful! We booked on hostels.com and somehow thought we were getting a bungalow or private house to ourselves but when we showed up we had a private ROOM but a shared kitchen and bath. Since we are on our honeymoon and wanted more privacy he immediately offered us our money back and recommended the place next door which was a better fit for two honeymooners. We were SOOO grateful for the refund and for the advice, since it was getting dark already by that point! I can tell this is a place run by good people.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah W
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We stayed in a shared bungalow with kitchen, lounge and balcony - great value. The view towards the Pacific Ocean is stunning and there are plenty of hammocks and comfy seats to enjoy it from. The hostel was the friendliest we've stayed in throughout our three month trip - we made friends instantly just sitting on the lovely communal balcony area. Highly recommended for a relaxing and fun stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple