“Vacation of a lifetime!”
Review of Tulemar Resort

Tulemar Resort
Ranked #2 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We just returned from a 9 day family vacation which was pure perfection thanks to the Buena Vista Luxury Villas! The location, staff, service, scenery, wildlife, private beach and beautful villa all surpassed our high expectations. The staff were all so friendly and provided such impeccable service that we felt like celebrities. The views are stunning, the villa was lovely and comfortable with all the amenities we could ask for. Victoria's resteraunt delivered delicious food when we didn't feel like dining out. We loved the many options for shopping and dining within walking distance or taking a short cab ride into Quepos. The monkeys were so fun to watch and it was great to be at tree level to enjoy them. I sat on the large veranda every morning taking in the stunning views! We couldn't have asked for more and we are so thankful to the Buena Vista for giving us memories to last a lifetime.

2  Thank Meredith C
BuenaVistaLuxuryVil, Manager at Tulemar Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Wow! From my perspective I sound like a broken record, but that’s good. Glad to be able to create good, and good memories too! Thanks for staying with us, Pura Vida! The Staff.

There are newer reviews for Tulemar Resort

Reviewed March 7, 2013

This is a perfect vacation spot...for families or couples alike. The grounds are gorgeous and well maintained. The beach is clean and the sand seems endless. The nearby restaurants serve amazing food and deliver right to the villas. Quepos is a lovely town where the locals are very friendly and eager to share their culture. I could honestly go on and on.... But, the thing that really made the trip was the service on the resort. From the front des, the drivers, the bartenders, the beach boys, and last but no least the concierge. Our concierges name was Bryan. He was spot on! We were able to enjoy our vacation....while he took care of the planning, rides, groceries, etc etc. He knew about local activities, and went as far to meet us in Quepos to show us the in and outs of the yearly festival that happened to be taking place during our stay. (When we first arrived he gave us his cell phone number and said to call if we needed anything 24/7.... We thought he did this to only be polite...but when HE called us ON HIS DAY OFF to see if we needed anything we knew he was THE REAL DEAL. THANKS BRYAN and thanks Buena Vista Luxury Villas! PURA VIDA

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Jamesounds101

Thanks for the great review so glad to hear that our concierge staff is blossoming into the guest service amenity that future guests can enjoy! Thanks for spending your vacation with us, Pura Vida! The Staff

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Great location, staff, accommodations, shuttle service, scenery, wildlife, private beach. Grocery and restaurants close by. Manuel Antonio Park and beach close by.

Downside is the steep hills - it was difficult to walk any lengthy distance but felt like I got a decent bit of exercise in with all the walking.

1  Thank sls970
BuenaVistaLuxuryVil, Manager at Tulemar Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Thanks for the review and glad to hear you appreciated the exercise (good for the heart)!

Reviewed March 5, 2013

This pains me to write this review but i feel it is only fair to the people who visit this resort. All of the reviews are right on about the beauty and all the things the resort has to offer. But what i do need to share is the experience that i had on my 50th Birthday vacation week at this resort. On our 3rd evening we went across the street to Victories for dinner returning a hour and a half later to find that our bungalo was broken into and that my Samsung gallaxy note pad and digital camera with a very expensive zoom
lense was stolen. When i first called the office they told me to wait till tomorrow to report the thef, at this point i was afraid for our safety and mad.
They finally did send security to search our room #303 and then they left someone from the staff stand gaurd outside our room till day break for our comfort level. The following morning we were escorted to the police dept. To fill out a report, upon returning to the resort they moved us to a much larger bunglo room #414 tht was more populated. We were treated to dinner
W hich was greatly appreciated but i was and still am without the tablet and the camera. The G.M came to our room and at this point i asked if the resort was insured for this type of instance. He said yes and took the police report and a copy of my passport with a promise that this would be handled. Two days later i receied notice and not from the Gm that the resorts insurance company was giving them a hard time about the claim and we would be receiving no repayment for the stolen 2k worth of items but another dinner would be served on our last night comp. From the resort. I treasure my family pictures and used my notepad for work and my personal use, i ended up having to cancel a debit card during this trip due the the stolen identity theft on the note book along with a dozen accounts all stored on the note pad. I was and still am very disapointed and hurt by the resorts disregard for how violated i felt as a result of this theft. The night of the theft all i wanted to do was fly home. All of the pictures are gone and i was left with no means to replace them not alone replacing the items worth 2k that were stolen. Please beware if you are visiting this resort that this can and will happen again, please dont exspect to much from the resort or you will be as hurt as i am

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Denise S

Thank you for writing the review and I understand your violation; I am sorry this happened to you. This Guests experience is not a common one but none the less it serves as a reminder to future guests of two things: one we offer trip insurance on our website and two we highly recommend to all guests to use the safes that are provided in the room. I am truly sorry this happened and beyond the material items that she lost the pictures she had taken. Thank you for writing the review. The Staff.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

I spent three nights in February 2013 at Buena Vista Villas with my mother and two adult brothers and it was an amazing stay! We arrived late at night after traveling from Arenal and were frustrated to see that our villa, although beautiful, had just one bedroom with one bed. We let reception know about the mix-up and Johan went above and beyond to correct the mistake. It ended up taking about an hour and a half to get into our new villa but it was worth the wait! We were given #401, which is right next to reception, and it was an amazing two-level villa with two bedrooms, each with an attached full bath (including an awesome, massive partially outdoor shower). It was really convenient to have the full kitchen even though we just used it to prepare/store snacks and drinks; had we stayed longer, I think we definitely would have used the grill and other appliances to cook meals. The balcony was also amazing (complete with a hot tub, dining table and sitting area) - one of the best views I've ever seen and yes, the monkeys will come visit! Johan repeatedly checked on us throughout our stay to make sure we were enjoying ourselves and not upset by the issues at the beginning. He and the other staff were extremely friendly and helpful with everything.

As for the rest of the resort, the three pools were all very nice but the real selling point is the private beach! We spent one morning on a tour of the National Park (great experience) but the rest of the time was spent at the beach. It was definitely a trek all the way down from #401 (the way back being a real workout), but we decided not to be whimpy and get the exercise (shuttles are widely available though). The beach had plenty of chairs and the attendants were very helpful with setting up umbrellas, helping us get out on kayaks, etc. We didn't eat at the beach bar or any of the pool bars but it was very convenient to have the bar right there for drinks. Speaking of food, I would highly recommend Cafe Milagro (just a short walk out to the right of the resort) and Agua Azul (to the left). The road/sidewalk situation is a little dicey (as in most of Costa Rica) but you can definitely walk to restaurants, bars, the ATM and grocery store.

I have nothing but good things to stay about Buena Vista - I would be thrilled to return. And thanks again to Johan and his team for making sure we had an unforgettable stay!

Room Tip: We actually enjoyed being up at the top of the resort next to reception (#401) because it made it ea...
2  Thank smcintosh430

Thanks for the review and I definitely understand your like of 401 since it’s close to the main gate and has a jaw dropping view. Sorry about the mix up upon your arrival and I’m glad we fixed it right, thanks too to Johan. Quick tip Agua Azul is to the right out of the main gate so in Café Milagro. As always thanks monkeys! Pura Vida, The Staff

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Casa las Flores is a wonderful place to stay, especially for families with teenage children. At first I was a little uncomfortable because the only way to get from the top level to the bottom level is to walk down an outdoor staircase. However, my teenage kids loved having their own space and the outdoor walk didn't phase them at all. Brian, our concierge, was wonderful and followed up with all of our pre-booked tours to make sure that pick up times were correct and then instructed the tour companies to pick us up at our unit so that we didn't have to travel up to the gate.

Out of everything that we did during our Costa Rica trip, probably my favorite memory was sitting on the deck at Casa las Flores and watching the monkeys. One afternoon we had 10 Squirrel Monkeys start dropping out of the trees and they wrestled on the deck while we sat watching in amazement. The next day a group of 6 white faced monkeys were swinging in the trees in front of us having a wonderful time playing. Once they saw us they sat in the trees near us and stared as we took photos and sat in awe of them. Monkeys could be seen all over the property playing in the trees, on the South trail and in the trees at the beach.

We made many great memories at Tulemar swimming in the ocean, kayaking, lounging at the family pool, looking at the many sloths and iguanas on the property, hiking the North and South paths every morning and as I mentioned above - just sitting on the deck having a cocktail while watching the monkeys play and the sun set.

Tulemar is also located within two blocks of a grocery store and within walking distance to many restaurants.

We would definitely stay at Casa las Flores again - it's an amazing place!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thanks for the nice review, always glad to hear good things about our concierges. As always the monkeys earn their pay! Thanks for staying with us and please come back! Pura Vida, The Staff

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Absolutely stunning resort ! Extremely private, secluded and quiet. I stayed in the 200 bungelows and was more than pleased with the location. The view was unobstructed and outstanding. In addition the bungalow did not seem to be in a high traffic area and was close to 2 of the pools. The bungelows do seem to be a bit outdated and worn in some areas but were very well cleaned. The housekeeping staff was fantastic taking care of every little detail. The grounds of the resort were well maintained and you certainly feel as if you are right in the jungle with all of the vegetation and wildlife. The monkeys greet you both morning and evening. When at the private beach be sure to ask a staff member to point out the resident sloth and take advantage of the hiking trails to and from the beach.

I traveled at the end of November so the resort was relatively empty (might have seen 2 other people the entire time I was there). Because of the time of my travel (the resort's low season) some of the amenities were lacking (no towels at pools, no food at any of the pool areas on the day of my arrival, etc...) However all of that was outweighed by the TREMENDOUS personal attention from the concierges.

This by far was the BEST part of staying at this resort. My concierge, Bryan and Eduardo, were absolutely amazing. From the moment I arrived they was interested in making my stay the best it could be. I was a solo traveler and my reason for visiting Costa Rica was to concentrate on my photography while learning about the people and culture of this amazing country. Upon learning this, Bryan (along with Eduardo) arranged to take me on a walking tour of Quepos so that I could discover and document the "non-tourist" area and daily life of Costa Ricans. They introduced me to the food (home cooked meal), culture, family life and history of this great town. They answered every question I threw at them and even waited while I took hundreds of photos.

On a day that I had no activities planned (by the way Bryan took care of all of the arrangements for any and all of the excursions I went on, I did not have to worry about a thing) I headed out of the resort on my own intending to just wander and take photos. Before exiting the lobby door Eduardo offered to accompany me to town. It was absolutely perfect as he was able to introduce me to the "locals", show me places off the beaten path which provided unlimited photo opportunities. I know I would have never seen even a fraction of this without Eduardo. It was exactly what I was looking for but never expected it. I am still in awe of the personal attention and concern for the purpose of my trip that I received. I am convinced that I will never find another resort with this level of personal attention.

Thank you Bryan and Eduardo, you guys are absolutely amazing and I will NEVER forget ALL of the experiences you provided me with!!!!!!!!!!

I have only one suggestion: It would be nice if you upgraded travelers to suites or better accommodations when your resort is so very empty. The first resort I stayed at did this for me and it was such a nice gesture and made my stay so much more pleasant. This would have compensated for the lack of services and amenities that you did not provide due to it not being the "busy" season.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank TravelPhotoBug_12

Thank you for the review and I’m always glad to hear that our concierge service lives up to its potential. FYI for guests this guest stayed not in a bungalow but in a Jr. Suite (select villa). Outside of the Thanksgiving week, November is a lower travel month here and the end of the slow season for our employees. This explains (at least to me) the reason for some of the missing towels and the ability for my concierge’s to be able to accompany the guest off site. We are always striving to improve our guest services and are thankful to hear from guests on their experiences. Pura Vida, The Staff