“Beautiful rooms and grounds but bad service”

Tulemar's Buena Vista Luxury Villas
Berkeley, CA
“Beautiful rooms and grounds but bad service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

We were really looking forward to staying at this property. We had read all of the reviews about the lovely resort and the great service. The resort was lovely -- our room was clean and beautiful. Unfortunately we had a obstructed view from our room (303) because there was a big, but luckily unoccupied, house between us and the beach. The service however, left a lot lacking. We may have had a concierge (his card was in our room) but despite the fact that they told us on the first day that he would check in with us, we never saw him. When we called for recommendations for restaurants, activities, etc. we were given basic information but not much more. Once they did make a dinner reservation for us and another time we were told they would make a reservation for a night hike but when we got to the night hike they didn't have us booked. No one ever checked in with us and asked us how our stay was going and when we checked out they took our money but never said thank you or goodbye. The bar/restaurants at the beach and pool also had bad service. Our lunch took 45 minutes and was cold. And on our last day we asked for a smoothy and the bartender, who was doing nothing, told me he couldn't make it for 15 minutes. There was no other customers there and when I asked him if I could place my order and come back in 15 minutes he said no, I would have to come back in 15 minutes and order it. I waited to see if he was busy with other things but he proceeded to sit down and do nothing for a while. Finally, the pool at the Villas was totally unattended despite the fact that there was a bar there. Most days there were no towels. And on our final day there was an attendant and he was watching movies on his computer. So, overall, lovely spot and if they didn't promise service we wouldn't expect it. But because they do, it really falls short.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank berkeleymom
BuenaVistaLuxuryVil, Manager at Tulemar's Buena Vista Luxury Villas, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write the review. We’re sorry you were not satisfied with the view from the unit you were in. The view in our opinion is a very good view and we will post a picture named 303 view on our FB page. As far as the concierge service goes, I must admit our service did fall short. After this guest arrived the concierge assigned to them (Orlando) fell ill with the flu; Eduardo was then assigned and no sooner he too was out with the flu. This is not an excuse, we did fail to provide our normal level of service and we are sorry. We did try to recognize our shortcoming to our guest by providing the guest with a free dinner at Victoria’s (rated number 1 restaurant in Manuel Antonio on Tripadvisor). But again thank you for the comeuppance; your point is well taken and as a result of your review we have addressed how we handle our guest service in the absence of one of our concierge’. Thanks for writing the review, Pura Vida, The Staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

Our family of five just spent the Christmas holidays in a Two Bedroom Villa at Tulemar Buena Vista Villas. Although I doubt anyone would call this place inexpensive, we do give the place full credit for top notch service, a great private beach and accomodations as nice as we have ever spent time in anywhere in North America. The Villas are spacious and have all the modern luxuries you could hope for. The concierge service is happy to amke all your tour and restaurant reservations and makes sure your stay is as stress free as possible. We would highky recommend these villas for your next stay in Costa Rica!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Ace65
BuenaVistaLuxuryVil, Manager at Tulemar's Buena Vista Luxury Villas, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Thanks for the nice review and glad we made your Christmas Merry!
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

Recently stayed here in one of the select 1 bedroom villas. The villa was what I expected and exactly like the photos I saw. Great views, comfortable. Getting slightly dated - especially the bathroom - it always feels a bit dirty and wet. The small kitchen was very useful although not somewhere you can expect to easily cook up a meal. For small things it's great though. The balconies were such a great place to hang out and enjoy the views.
The facilities is where I felt a bit let down. It seemed like there were always a lot of staff on but they were always sitting around. The pool by the select villas had 1-2 staff sitting on the lounge chairs under the awning, which I found a little odd. There were rarely clean beach/pool towels - maybe 5 would be put out in the morning, but they were never replaced. The pool up by the Tulemar Villas looked like it was falling to pieces. The furniture was really old (although once looked like it would have been such a cool spot to hang out!) and there were no towels in sight.
I found this really annoying and it signaled to me that the property may be going downhill as it doesn't seem like there is much upkeep in terms of the facilities.
The newest villas (I think the premium ones) looked really nice, and if I was going back, I would definitely stay in one of these. The Tulemar bungalows looked a bit sad.
I would never pay full price for the select villas - I believe they charge $675 per night in December. This would not be worth it at all to me - but for just over $400 a night, it was reasonable.
Overall, the staff (especially the ones that drove the shuttles - they were the best) were good, the housekeeping staff did an excellent job, and I liked that you could order delivery from the restaurant across the road (Victorias - the food was excellent). I think they should do this with Kapi Kapi as well as it definitely has the best food.
The villas are getting a bit old and the facilities need a major overhaul - I can imagine the pools won't be very nice to hang out by in a couple of years.
Other things to note - Cafe Milagro is amazing, Kapi Kapi is also amazing.

Room Tip: Go for a Select 1 Bedroom Villa (the studios were under the 1-bedrooms and looked dark) or splash ou...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
BuenaVistaLuxuryVil, Manager at Tulemar's Buena Vista Luxury Villas, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and your insights are noted. This guest was traveling at the very end of our Green season and it sounds as though she uncovered some late season doldrums in some of our staff. I will mention that many guests seem to forget they are in the rain forest and things can be wet though we do diligently fight the dirt. She is correct about the kitchen in the selects they are not the large full kitchen of the premium bungalows but will serve well for smaller endeavors. As far as property age: the bungalows are older all in the 20 year range the select villas are just a bit shy of 10 years and the premiums are in the 7 year range. We update the individual units as our owners permit. Finally with the rainforest conditions here we are always updating and renewing the common areas and the bungalow pool area is one of the areas in flux right now. Thanks for the review, Pura Vida The Staff
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

This was the best vacation I have ever had. The rooms and view were beyond ammayzing. My wife and I went for 5 day on our honeymoon and couldn't ask for anything better. We went at the end of low season and it was a little rainy, but our concierge Brian took wonderful care of us. We did many activities including white water rafting, jet skiing, etc. we also took advantage of the Chef's privite dinner which was one of the best meals we have ever had. Even staying on resort the pools were well maintained and the wildlife on resort was great. The people were so nice and would bend over backwards to help.
I cannot express how great this place it! You cannot go wrong!
Nick

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you Nick, glad you had such a good time. Yes even in the rain you can very much enjoy the area it’s just not that cold and the rain is a fresh. Glad you enjoyed the private chef service guests often say this is not to be missed. Even with the rain it’s the best time of year down here since it is so relaxing! Pura Vida Nick! The Staff
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

Buena Vista exceeded our expectations in all regards. We stayed in a 3 bedroom villa, which was very modern with a fully-equipped kitchen, jacuzzi hot tub, private deck, and 4 bathrooms - and of course the beautiful outdoor showers! The 3-level villa was perfect for our family of four, affording us privacy and space. The in-unit washer/dryer was definitely a plus.
The private beach, beachside restaurant, and all accommodations were perfect. They offered boogie boards, kayaks, and life vests for our use.

Above all, the SERVICE and attention to detail by the staff was 5-star. Our concierge Orlando took care of our every need from the moment we arrived (taking our luggage). He recommended restaurants in town, excursions, arranged the shuttles on the property, and booked a babysitter for one of the nights. Every staff member genuinely seemed to enjoy their job and their pride in showcasing Costa Rica was evident.

We will certainly recommend Buena Vista for family travel, honeymooners, and those who want a luxury experience in the heart of the jungle - and close proximity to the adventure excursions of Costa Rica!

Room Tip: I'm not sure if some photos on this site are just outdated, but our villa (#411) and our friends...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank KathyLindner
Thank you for the kind review and taking the time to write it! You said it all and all I can say is please come back! Pura Vida! The Staff
New Brunswick, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

My husband and I spent an amazing week here September 1-9, 2012. Prior to arriving in Manuel Antonio, we were a little bit nervous about traveling during the green season. However, I would recommend going to Costa Rica at this time of year to any other traveler! The weather was beautiful. We had warm sunny days and cool rainy nights with fantastic thunderstorms. Because it was the "off" season, the town was not overly crowded with tourists and it made the experience even more relaxing for us.

Our villa at Buena Vista was incredible. The views were breathtaking - basically anywhere you stay in this resort complex will not disappoint. I've seen other reviews commenting on how hilly the resort is. In my opinion this is a huge plus! It made the views of the ocean something we will never forget. The shuttle service was impeccable, seriously they were at our door within 3-5 minutes of us calling them. The service at the front desk was amazing, how personal concierge Brian booked all our events for us and was always around to say hi to at the beach. The other concierge on duty were amazing as well and made my husband and I feel incredibly comfortable and taken care of.

The food, I could write an entire post about how amazing the food was. There are so many restaurants within walking distance of this resort, it's SO convenient. Kapi Kapi has spoiled me rotten. I literally have never had ahi tuna that was that good.

I picked this resort based on all the positive feedback through tripadvisor and I was very nervous that it would not live up to it's reputation. But my experience here was amazing, it lived up to its reputation and beyond and I will never forget my honeymoon. Pura Vida. ;)

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor if you can, we stayed in the Select Villa and the view was insane!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Congratulations on your nuptial and thank you for the nice review; we are so glad to have made your honeymoon as wonderful as you said! Good tip on the Green season travel… it’s my favorite time of year. Though for future travelers be forwarded it is not always so perfect; if there is a storm in the Pacific we have the potential for days on end of rain. But that said life here is always Pura Vida! Again congratulations! The Staff
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

We stayed in a 3 room villa and it was just beautiful! Our view of the ocean was great. The maids even did our dishes and laundry which we weren't expecting. There were monkey on the beach and the food at the beach bar was good. I feel like when I am on vacation I want to stay some place at least a little nicer than my home and this was perfect! I even get some decorating ideas! The swimming pools on site were great too! Make sure to use your map to find them all!

• Stayed November 2011
BuenaVistaLuxuryVil, Manager at Tulemar's Buena Vista Luxury Villas, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you for the great review glad you enjoyed your stay and yes our maids are the best! Isn’t it great to go out to have fun and come home and even the dishes are done?! Good observation to explore for all the swimming pools too! Pura Vida, The Staff.