“Gaia is a Jewel” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Sparta, Tennessee
“Gaia is a Jewel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2010

I just returned from a second visit to Gaia Hotel & Reserve.
My first trip was so incredible; I could not wait to get back.
I do not EVER visit a resort twice, but after my last trip, I had to come back to Gaia.
Please try their Costa Rican Ceviche, and the Gorgonzola Tart, both are incredible!
And the roasted squash and papaya soup, yummy, they will even give you the recipe!
I am a foodie, had to mention the cuisine first.
Ramiro is the absolute best waiter and the pool bar, well, you have to experience it yourself.

The views of the Pacific are something you will never forget.
My room was incredible, a suite with a Jacuzzi that has an ocean view.
Last trip I was in a studio, which is great, but I wanted to treat myself, and it was worth it.
Compliments to the entire staff, they go the extra mile.
All my tours were perfectly coordinated by my concierge and I cannot wait to go back.
There is so much to do in the Manuel Antonio area, it would take 10 vacations to experience everything.
I recommend this hotel for everyone, and cannot wait to go back for my third trip (already booked for Thanksgiving, 2010).

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank oma777

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
San Diego, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2010

My husband and I decided to stay here last month after reading all the reviews but ended up being extremely disappointed. Rooms are nice inside, however, we had no privacy at all. You could look out to our terrace from the restaurant which was very intimidating taking into consideration we booked one of the most expensive rooms. Staff was rude when we tried to have us change room and no seemed to always be the answer to our requests.

Menu at the restaurant was the least Costa Rican ever. Too many american dishes (to what we are used to) and nothing that could really give us a slight idea of what we could experience in the area or the country. Moreover, prices were high (even compared to the best US Restaurants we have visited).

Pool was small and if you want to have some tranquility we recommend you go to the beach (which unfortunately is not in walking distance and shuttle should be arranged in advance - which complicates things more!).

If you are looking for a beach and romantic experience we recommend looking at some place else, this might dissapoint you as well (and don't even think on a family vacation here).

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank lindalola05
Tommy-Farrell, Owner at Gaia Hotel & Reserve, responded to this review, July 21, 2010
I want to thank this reviewer for their very frank and subjective analysis of their stay here at Gaia. However, we are disappointed in the fact that this guest appeared to not have fully appreciated what we strive for here at Gaia.

It is clear from the photographs on our website and brochures that the rooftop decks are surrounded by lush tropical plants and the day beds are covered in top to bottom striped canvas material both ensuring total privacy from any location on the property.

Our La Luna Restaurant has an international flavor and we strive to cater to all cultures and dietary preferences. I am not sure of the true definition of Costa Rican food but our breakfast, lunch, tapas and dinner menu all have their very fair share of local Latin dishes created by our well trained and educated Costa Rican chef. As far as prices are concerned, we consider ourselves to be extremely competitive with local restaurants which seems to be proven given the number of outside guests who frequent La Luna Restaurant both local residents and visitors alike.

Our complimentary shuttle service is available to visit the beautiful beaches of Manuel Antonio and the Manuel Antonio National Park and no advance reservation is ever required. There are several cars on the property to take our guests on the short 7 minute transit on a moments notice.

Although Gaia is an adults only property we do have numerous families visit and stay with us and our only request is that their children be a minimum of 16 years of age. This policy ensures that all of our guests enjoy the quite tranquil nature of our property and natural surrounding. Honeymooners, couples, singles and yes families (with older teenagers) come to Gaia to experience what we have created here in the lush tropical rain forest setting.

Finally, we take all reviews here on Tripadvisor seriously and strive every day to consider the content each review and make any necessary changes. Thanking this guest again for taking the time.
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2010

We stayed 4 nights at the Gaia hotel after spending 4 nights at the Nayara Hotel in Arenal, which we found be a very, very nice hotel and was a tough act to follow.

Where Naya goes for tropical chic, Gaia goes for sleek modern, even though the hotel is perched on top of a steep hill surrounded by the forest. Gaia is probably a little older and maintaining white concrete structures in this climate must a bit more of a challenge. Our first room (#142) was not so great--only one window on of the shorter sides and a very insidious (chemical?) smell. I usually don't complain much but after 30-45 mns in the room, I was feeling sick, so I asked if the room had been recently repainted or something. I did not quite get a straight answer, but we were "upgraded" to another room (#242) with a much larger window and a terrace with partial ocean view. The room layout was bit a funky with the very narrow and long bathroom area being concealed behind 3 large sliding doors covering the length of the bedroom. The room was nicely appointed, but the TV screen too small when watched from the bed.

Service was excellent whether at the reception/concierge, spa (we sure enjoyed the included massages and other treatments) or restaurant. The restaurant is located on the highest floor and offers an excellent view of the hilly coastline to complement the very good and well priced food (better than at the Nayara which was good). The pools are not large but also offer spectacular views.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2010

I stayed at Gaia a few years ago, just after they opened, and was totally impressed.
So much so that I just came back from another trip to Gaia, and trust me, I have never gone to any resort twice,
Gaia being the exception.

Having stayed in several hotels in different areas of Costa Rica (Four Seasons, Reserva Conchal and Tabacon Springs),
I found Gaia to be the most unique hotel, and absolutely had the best service, food and wine, and spa treatments.

I just returned from a second trip to Gaia, and could not believe that they had added a third pool deck, which now has a Jacuzzi/whirlpool,
the menu has changed and is even better than the 5-star quality it had years ago, and my room was simply incredible. I decided to go with
the Deluxe Suite, which has a private roof terrace with the most amazing, panoramic views of the Pacific. And the sunsets? Better than Mykonos!

Special mention to Cristian #1 (there are 3 Cristians on the property) who was my Personal Concierge, Marlon, the Maitre’d in La Luna Restaurant,
and Sandy in Reservations who helped me immensely with my personal needs to be arranged before I arrived.

Looking for a barefoot luxury resort where you don’t even have to think, they do it for you?
Gaia Hotel & Reserve is the place for the world-weary traveler to be pampered.
Before I left, I booked and paid for the entire Thanksgiving week 2010.
Hint: I heard from one of the owners that they keep turning down celebrities because they tend to book so late.
This is a small, boutique, luxury hotel with only 20 rooms, BOOK EARLY!
I have to add that I stayed at one other resort in Manuel Antonio this same trip, just to try it out. I was totally disappointed. Please see my review on Arenas Del Mar.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank senecafallstraveler
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2010

We just returned from 6 nights in Manuel Antonio and we are so pleased we chose to stay at the Gaia Hotel and Reserve. The staff, location and restaurant were all brilliant!
From the moment we arrived until we left, the concierge, owner, pool staff, restaurant team and everyone at Gaia made our stay a real pleasure. If you love a resport where attention to detail is important to you - you MUST stay here at Gaia. The front office staff and concierge team were the best I've ever encountered. Not only did they book all our activities and arranged tours for us on short notice - they also managed to move us to a new room when there was a problem with a door lock (no problem, sir!), and when our return flight to San Jose was to be cancelled due to bad weather, they arranged a car and driver from the hotel to personally drive us to the airport - AND - the concierge had the driver stop at 3-4 points of interest on the way, including Volcan Poas, and suprisingly a local lunch spot in San Jose before dropping us at the airport. The Gaia staff really impressed us and I would not hesitate to recommend this resort to anyone.

The restaurant La Luna, had superior food and one of the best views on the coast.
If you are debating going to Costa Rica or looking for a great place to make your stay special and memorable. Stay at Gaia Hotel and Reserve. You will be so happy you chose this hotel. Thank you Gaia for making our trip so special. You made my partners' 40th birthday especially memorable and fun.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Tommy-Farrell, Owner at Gaia Hotel & Reserve, responded to this review, July 8, 2010
The entire staff of Gaia Hotel & Reserve is thrilled that our guests had such a wonderful time here. And you are very welcome for all that we were able to do for you. We pride ourselves on 5-star service and nothing is to small or too big that we can not handle it for our guests. It is truly our pleasure!
Parkland, Florida

food 10
services/spa 10
overall 10
This place is great.
Close to beaches, national park, fishing, ziplines

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I want to thank our guest for leaving a very kind and supportive review of Gaia. We take a lot of pride in what we have created here and always look forward to sharing this with our guests. Thanking you again!
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2010

As a Costa Rican entrepreneur and single Mom; trying to escape from my daily running… I decided to give something to myself by heading to Manuel Antonio and booking a nice Suite at Hotel Gaia… the Best Decision ever made!!!!!
Don´t have enough words to describe my stay at Gaia… the Hotel, more than beautiful, the room…perfect…!!!! The service …. They treated me like a Queen!! All of the staff knew I was just by myself so, they did whatever they could to make my stay more than perfect…!!!
Regarding “La Luna” Restaurant, the food was superb!!! The best I have had in months!!!! The view… an extra worth to enjoy.
If you are getting away from your day to day rush and want to be treated the way you deserve…I truly recommend Gaia!!! Thanks to them!!! They made my day!!!!!!
Catalina

Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Tommy-Farrell, Owner at Gaia Hotel & Reserve, responded to this review, July 2, 2010
The pleasure was all ours here at Gaia. We love to pamper our guests with luxury beyond their expectations and it appears we succeeded here once again.
We thank our guest for taking the time to experience Gaia and all we have to offer.