“Hotel Staff was exceptional!”

Gaia Hotel & Reserve
Ranked #3 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 25, 2010

My husband and I just got back from our visit to Costa Rica. I couldn't get on the computer fast enough to write my review on the Gaia Hotel. The hotel staff was exceptional. Compared to all the hotels in the area, this is a step above the rest which is why it is listed among the world's best luxury boutique hotels. There is a ton of things to do in the area, the list of activities is endless. The hotel provides a free shuttle to the national park with hosts three beautiful beaches with an amazing sunset view you have to experience while you are there. What stood of for us regarding the hotel was the service. You enter the gates where I golf cart is waiting for you take you to the reception. A short ride up a curve path engulfed with beautiful exotic flowers and rain forests. When you are ready to go to the beach, there will be someone waiting for you by the entrance with towels to borrow, every time! If you choose to use the hotel pool, periodically the waiter by the pool will bring you fresh fruit or a nice cool face towel to refresh you from the heat. C'mon does it get any better then that? The rooms are clean, the tv has a ton of channels (english too). There is a DVD player to bring your own movies. They have wireless internet and a business center which includes 3 computers, printer etc. ALL free of charge. Finally, I want to include we took this trip for my husband's 30th birthday. Once I told the staff, they prepared a custom cake with my husband's favorite flavors and periodically throughout the day the staff would wish him happy birthday. My husband is shy but he felt so special, including a call and drink from the owner when we sat down to enjoy our breakfast. Did I mention the food is fabulous!?!?! We simply can not say enough. We were very fortunate that we had great experience and will definitely visit again in the future.

2  Thank ChicagoLola1983
There are newer reviews for Gaia Hotel & Reserve

Reviewed January 25, 2010

Where to start.
Simply one of the best hotel experiences of my life. Being that it was our first time in Costa Rica, when my wife and I arrived at the Quepos airport in Manuel Antonio we did not know what to expect. We felt immediate comfort and relief when we were picked up and greeted by one of the fabulous owners of the hotel. Within ten minutes, all doubt and worries were gone.
Upon arriving at the hotel we were given these delicious fresh fruit smoothies...very refreshing and set the tone for both of us...."we are officially on vacation"
The room we had was a suite....very modern, very clean, and very spacious. Our rooftop had a large sitting area and more importantly a beautiful shower. After a day in the jungle, on an ATV tour through dirt roads, this outdoor shower paid off as we rinsed off our clothes and didnt have to walk into our clean room all dirty.
Without a doubt, the hotels restaurant and menu are the best in the entire town. My wife and I adventured out a couple of nights only to be dissapointed. The last 4 nights of our stay we ordered lunch and dinner from within the hotel. There is a tremendous variety and always fresh.
The Staff - when we checked out of the hotel, we literally felt like we were leaving family. Christine # 1, Christine # 2, Thomas, David, Borris, Mario, etc....sometimes, the staff of a hotel can make or break a trip....in this case....they were precious. Not enough words to say about all of them....

In the end, it rarely happens, but I dare to say that we have a PERFECT trip to Costa Rica, and the Gaia hotel in specific. Every accomodation, from the spa to the daily tours, from my camera breaking and the owners lending me his own, from the reception desk paying my departure taxes beforehand(major time savor in the crowded hot airport!), to the shuttle to the beach that was never a minute late.....every little thing was taken care of for us. This isnt as much of a review as it is a thank you....to the entire Gaia Hotel and Staff....we will be back....and hopefully others will read this join too.
- Josh S. Room 321

2  Thank jsultan34
Reviewed January 22, 2010

We stayed for 4 nights after staying at the Arenal Nayara nea the Arenal Volcano and spent 3 days in the rain. We flew to Quepos on Nature Air (2 - 25 minute flights). The turbulance was so bad we would consider driving next time).
A Gaia driver picked us up at the Quepos airstrip for a 10 minute drive to the hotel. We were greeted by one of the owners when we arrived. The hotel and reserve are beatiful. There are about 20 rooms no children. The pool has two levels with a great bartender (Mario). The restaurant and the pool and rooms have a great view overlooking the reserve and the Pacific Ocean.

The staff at the hotel was execellent from the wait staff, the bartenders to the golf cart drivers who shuttled you up and down to the front enterance.

The food at the restaurant was excellent. We stayed 4 nights and ate at the hotel twice for dinner and all 4 days for breakfast and once for lunch. They have great tapas late afternoon as well.

We stayed in a Deluxe Suite which had a sitting area with a couch and a few chairs, then a sliding glass door to two chaise lounge chairs outside. The staircase to the room (it is on the 2nd floor) keeps going up to the 3rd floor which is a private rooftop with an outdoor shower, a reflecting pool (just for looks) and lounge chairs and a table. We had breakfast delivered up there one day. The bedroom is nice (although we should have asked for softer pillows) and a big bathroom with a tub/shower (ours wouldn't have been too easy for an older person to get in and out of). There were two sinks. My only complaint was that the hatbox looking toilet had a square seat and wasn't comfortable.

The front desk was able to set up tours. We went on a catamaran snorkeling. We took a tour of the Manuel Antonio National Park with the Gaia's guide. He was amazing. The other guides were in awe as to how he spotted animals (they set up telescopes which you with certain cameras can take a picture through). He was a great guide.

The hotel drove us (about 5 minutes) to the public beach. There are entreprenuers who rent you chairs/umbrella for $8-10 per day. The National Park $10 entrance has a nice beach - no chairs and calm water.

We got a couples massage one day. The spa is nice with a few rooms and was very relaxing.

We ate at Karolas in the Los Altos hotel (fairly new) and the food and ambiance was very nice. The food/service at Marlin near the beach (there are not many restaurants there) is ok, but nothing special.

They had free wi-fi everywhere including the rooms. I used Skype on my iPhone to make free calls back to the U.S.

Friends of our highly recommended the Gaia and we would do the same. It is not often you find a hotel with great facilities, great food, great location & weather and fantastic staff.

Finally, when you fly out of Costa Rica - there is a $26 per person tax. A staff member at the hotel told me that they can take our passports (with or without us) and $26 pp to a bank and get the stamp which will save time at the airport. This was a big time-saver.

1  Thank smjjjs
Reviewed January 20, 2010

This hotel has it all. The rooms, the service, the location are all top line. There is an attention to detail that you find only in a few hotels and it comes across here. Our suite was roomy and quiet with the most powerful shower I have come across in some time. The bed was very comfortable. There is plenty of space and a natural eco-friendly atmosphere that is part of the Costa Rican culture.
The staff is very well trained. We had no trouble solving some difficult problems unrelated to the hotel their assistance. What they don't know, they find out willingly. We felt comfortable in every way.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank shoemouse
Reviewed January 15, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at Gaia for 6 nights last April. We had an awesome time, its probably the best place I've stayed, although I should say I have rarely stayed in upscale hotels before.

We stayed in one of the deluxe suites which was immaculate, and huge, and we loved the private roof deck with view of the ocean. The food in the restaurant was awesome, and they are very accommodating for vegetarians (you can ask to have something specially made if you wish). We would have eaten there every night because it was definitely the best restaurant in the area that we went to, but it was just a little pricey. The whole atmosphere is very relaxed, ie. the pool is never overrun with people. One of our favorite things to do was relax by the pool with a cocktail while watching the sun set. I loved the pool bar. We also loved the daytime shuttle. It was so convenient for getting to the beach etc especially when its so hot outside. Don't bother with the guided tour of the reserve (Gaia reserve not Manuel Antonio). There's no wildlife to see and you have to get up early. The only thing I think could improve this hotel is if it had a beach.

We did have a couple of small problems (but all the good stuff overwhelmed it so I don't want to make a huge deal out of it):

-when we arrived, our reservation had been mixed up. We had reserved (actually won) a deluxe room, but they had us down for a standard room and had been planning to upgrade to the next level up. Granted, this probably was the fault of the travel agent, not the hotel, but I was a bit peeved that they said they had no deluxe available rooms and was I ok just in the room they'd planned to give me. When I said no, they phoned the travel agent, confirmed it was a deluxe room and showed us to that room.

-the water in the bathtub/shower was lukewarm. I told them, they sorted it, but shortly after it returned to lukewarm. Although I'm sure they would have sorted it out if I'd told them, I ended up having showers on the roof deck which was more pleasant anyway.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Tommy-Farrell, Owner at Gaia Hotel & Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2010

As one of the owners of Gaia Hotel & Reserve I want to personally thank our guest for taking the time to post this review and sharing their wonderful experience at our property. Also, regarding the two points mentioned, we confirm that indeed the travel agent had made the mistake and we are happy to have resolved the error to the satisfaction or our guest.
The hot water problem was fixed at the guests request the first time and we wish we were notified of the second time in order to have solved this issue permanently. But the guest is 100% correct.....the private outside shower on the roof-top deck is quite delightful and so happy it was enjoyed!

Reviewed January 9, 2010

the hotel was amazing. From the spotless, beautiful, room to the amazing views from our roof top balcony. The room service (included) breakfasts were great. The pools were great. This is one of the best hotels that I have ever seen. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank aakcats
Reviewed January 4, 2010

Spent four nights at the Gaia and had a wonderful experience. It’s a small, adults-only (thank you), intimate, and beautiful eco-friendly hotel set in a lush tropical setting. The entire Gaia family were welcoming, always friendly and accommodating, and went out of their way to ensure we had everything we needed for a fun and relaxing stay. The service throughout was impeccable without being pretentious. We appreciated the little touches like offering us towels when we asked for a ride to the beach, bringing us a tropical drink while waiting for our complimentary ride to the airport, or offering us a fruit kabob as we sat poolside. Speaking of fruit, it’s local, fresh, and so good so get your fill at breakfast. The restaurant, which is considered one of the finest in Manuel Antonio, has a beautiful, open air setting that overlooks the ocean and tropical landscape. You’ll have your breakfast there but try at least one dinner there too.

We stayed in the deluxe suite which was very comfortable – spacious, sleek, crisp and clean with all of the expected amenities. One minor issue: the lock on the sliding door onto the balcony was broken. The hotel was very secure and we were on the second floor so we really weren’t concerned but it should be fixed.

Another minor observation is that outside of your room, there really wasn’t a good air conditioned space to just sit for awhile to read or cool down. Not a huge deal but Manuel Antonio was hot and very humid and at times, you just needed to go indoors.

Overall, we truly enjoyed being spoiled at this beautiful hotel and appreciated the great hospitality of the Gaia staff.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple