“UNFORGETABLE”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Hendersonville, Tennessee
“UNFORGETABLE”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

This property is the best! The staff was friendly and accomodating for our every need. The rooms, which all had breathtaking views, were appointed for the guests every need. The sunsets in the restaurant were lovely. The food was superior-tuna melted in your mouth. I can't say enough nice things about the property as a whole--they tried to make you feel as this was your second home. Will go back and stay longer!!

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Tommy-Farrell, Owner at Gaia Hotel & Reserve, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thanking our recent guests for all their wonderful comments on our Gaia Hotel & Reserve.

Yes, many guests do feel that Gaia is their second home and is the reason many return year after year to experience this once again.

We would love to welcome you back and look forward to spoiling you once again.

Thank you for posting your experience on this TripAdvisor forum.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Tampa, Florida, United States
Reviewed October 7, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at Gaia Hotel from October 4 thru Sunday October 6th. We had just come from a breathtaking hotel in La Fortuna, and Gaia had high expectations to meet, and they did!

We arrived before check in and were greeted with a cold towel and a drink and MANY friendly smiles. The gentleman at the front desk never stopped smiling and was genuinely happy to help us. He explained that they could take us to the beach or to the park until our room was ready or that we could lounge by the pool or the beautiful restaurant upstairs. We decided to change shoes and walk around the reserve on the property. It had been raining so I'm glad they advised us to change shoes. We were absolutely blown away to see a sloth right there. On our way back to get to our room we saw a family of monkeys on the property! That was worth every penny right there.

When we were shown our room we were very impressed by the amount of space and the ammenities. We didn't stay in our room much, because there was a lot to do else where. However, the room was luxiourous and spacious enough to lounge around if you want to relax.

We spent several hours on Saturday just lounging in the beautiful pool. Joshua was our bartender and was there for WHATEVER we needed. The appetizers were delicious and the drinks were cold. The view was something we will never forget.

I HIGHLY recommend eating at the restaruant on the property, La Luna. We read great reviews prior to going there and were not disappointed. The breakfast that came with the room was tastey and had the right amount of selections. Our dinner Friday night was to die for.

The hotel had wifi throughout, so it was nice to be able to send pictures to family from the pool. The shuttle service was courteous and timely. I can't say enough great things about this hotel. Highly highly recommend it!

Room Tip: Didn't pay top dollar for a room because we weren't in it enough, but it was still a great r...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
What a wonderful review. It is guests like you that we thank ourselves for having created Gaia Hotel & Reserve.
The entire staff is still smiling and we welcome your very extensive review of our hotel and reserve.

A more magical experience could not be duplicated in the Manuel Antonio area. In face, we are amongst the very small number of hotels in Costa Rica that have earned the 5 star emblem from the government tourist board.

Thank you for sharing your experience on this TripAdvisor forum.
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We visited the Gaia Hotel & Reserve for our Honeymoon in September 2013. We absolutely cannot say enough about the amazing service we were provided throughout our entire stay. The staff bent over backwards to make sure we had a great stay. We flew into SJO from the US, where our friendly driver Alex awaited us with a sign. He explained a lot about the land and culture to us on our almost 2.5hr drive to the Gaia, and made sure we got to stop and see the crocodiles en route. He remembered our names throughout our stay and always made an effort to come say hi to us when we were nearby. Upon arrival to the Gaia, we were amazed by the beautiful views the resort boasts, and had a nice lunch at La Luna, the resort's restaurant. Then we got a tour of the property, which was nice because it made us feel more comfortable in terms of navigating what seemed like a rather large place upon our arrival. We stayed in a deluxe suite, which was spacious and very nicely maintained. We unfortunately did not use our upstairs terrace, as we visited Costa Rica during the rainy season, and seemed to get a good bit of rain every afternoon/evening when we had time to use the terrace. The staff at the Gaia helped us to plan and schedule all of our activities for the week, and we loved the ease of being able to pay for our activities through the hotel rather than having to carry cash/colones or incur the additional international transaction fees every time we went out to do something. We were even able to charge our beach chairs and drinks from the public beach back to the hotel! The hotel transportation to and from town/the beach was very easy to use and always readily available. We also visited the spa on 2 separate occasions, and had nice treatments with great service. Prices at the spa were very comparable to what we're used to in the States. The food at Luna was pretty good overall, and we loved that breakfast was included every morning, but we would definitely recommend going out to eat in town for even better food with less expensive prices. Overall, we loved everything about our stay at Gaia. It was the perfect place for our honeymoon! We would definitely recommend it to our friends and family, and can't wait to return for another visit!

Room Tip: Pick your room based on the purpose of your trip.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Tommy-Farrell, Owner at Gaia Hotel & Reserve, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Thanking our recent guests for their wonderful review of our Gaia Hotel & Reserve.

They are the type of guests that fully appreciate what we have created here and we welcome them back for many more returns.
Our entire staff are grateful for having been able to serve them while on our property. Service is our best kept secret and our staff seem to excel in that region.

We are thrilled you chose Gaia for your special honeymoon and even more thrilled that your expectations were exceeded.

Thank you for sharing on this TripAdvisor forum.
Mableton, Georgia
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I'm a 60 yr old female from Ga, stayed for a week at Gaia with my 20something daughter on our first trip to Costa Rica. We were traveling with friends, husband, wife, and daughter, who stayed at a nearby resort. Our group had several meals and cocktails at the restaurant in Gaia.

For reasons we can't fathom, on the 6th night, after our group dined in the Gaia's restaurant, the owner ordered my daughter and me to get out of the hotel, at mid-night! Ostensibly the reason was that we had guests after 11pm. What actually happened is that after our group finished a late dinner, our companions walked us to our room and then left for their own hotel, @ 11:30. Bizarrely, our movements were apparently being watched and relayed to the hotel owner, who verbally assaulted us before ordering us out of his hotel.

Mind you we were two women staying alone in "his" hotel.The owner shouted at us about his rules and ordered us out, with no regard for our safety, much less our rights as hotel guests. The incident was extremely scary and we ended up calling the police, who were very professional and helpful. The owner assured us that he didn't care what reviews we wrote and that he is on the chamber of commerce board, so no need to complain to them.

His unexplained, uncalled for, and over the top behavior effectively ruined our vacation. I would never recommend this hotel under any circumstances.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
38 Thank Denise W
Booking a room for two and attempting to squeeze in 5 individuals is unacceptable.

We do not tolerate such behavior at our hotel.
Reviewed September 26, 2013

This place has the best service ever and most beautiful views! Words can't describe how great the place is! Everyone was so nice and they give you complimentary massages and food throughout the day! Seriously amazing!!

• Stayed September 2013
Tommy-Farrell, Owner at Gaia Hotel & Reserve, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Wonderful guests and we thank you for your wonderful review.

It was our pleasure to spoil you and give you all that you expected and then some.

At Gaia, it is not the ordinary resort with the routine expectations. We provide you with what you expect and so much more. Extra added values are yours to enjoy and it is our responsibility to make sure your experience here is beyond your wildest imagination.

Thank you so much for experiencing what the magic of Gaia is all about.

And thank you for sharing your wonderful experience on this TripAdvisor forum.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 26, 2013

The experience my family and friends had at Gaia can only be described as a nightmare. It is such a long story that it would probably be impossible to follow without bullet points:

• To start with, my mother and I are very reputable people. I'm a third-year law student and my mother is a hospital executive, in her 60s. Between us, we've stayed dozens of luxury hotels across the world, from Johannesburg to London to Montreal to Martinique. We are also African-American, which I truly, truly hope had nothing to do with this shameful incident.
• On this occasion, we were traveling from the States with friends to visit their daughter, who had just begun a research position in one of the rain forests outside San Jose. The hotel they were staying at had no vacancies, so we booked a studio at nearby Gaia.
• Our experience was "off" from the beginning. Not only were there surveillance cameras EVERYWHERE, but staff was standing by almost every couple of feet as well. What initially seemed like friendly service started to become controlling and obnoxious. For instance, our first night there my mom made a passing comment to our waiter about her fish being dry. We were pleasantly surprised that he gave us 50% of the meal...until our concierge spoke to us after dinner and made my mom sign a release, keeping her from commenting about the meal online!!!
• One night, my friend came over the hotel to pick me up so we could head to a local bar. The front desk approached and out of nowhere told me that I could not have guests overnight, and if I wanted to have a guest past 11pm I'd have to get "permission from management"... (Yes, PERMISSION). I told them that she had her own hotel and definitely wasn't staying the night. I also asked them to go ahead and get "permission" for us, which they did. She ended up leaving shortly after anyway, because we decided we were too tired to go out. The next night we finally made it out, while our parents stayed at the hotel restaurant and had drinks. We got back a bit after 11 and texted them saying we were in. They came down to drop my mom off at the room and to pick up their daughter before heading back to their place.
• Almost as soon as they got to the room, someone appeared AT OUR DOOR to tell us, again, that we could not have guests stay the night. Why they thought we were trying to cram five adults into one studio in the first place is completely beyond me. Our friends left immediately, but we were, very reasonably, upset at this level of harassment. We called the front desk to complain and were transferred to the owner of the hotel, who promptly told us if we didn't like the rules we could leave the hotel! He also said our “behavior” was unacceptable (What behavior? Complaining? Staying there? Having friends we were traveling with stop by the room? ... As I said, we’re very well-traveled, reputable people. We would have never behaved in a way deserving this). The conversation turned so nasty that I recorded part of what he was saying on my iPhone!
• The next morning we were headed out to a catamaran tour when our concierge told us that we had until 11am to vacate our room. We were completely floored. My mom and I felt so uncomfortable that, on the way back from our excursion, we called the local tourism police, who met us at Gaia. I'd never been so happy to see the police in my life! They accompanied us to our room to help us pack our stuff and stayed with us until we left. Before we did, however, we made sure to give the owner a piece of our mind! We told him that we would be following up on this horrible mistreatment with the U.S. consulate, the Costa Rican Tourism Bureau, and online.

I still can't believe this happened. And if I hadn't taken that video I probably would have written the whole thing off as a horrible dream. Unfortunately it wasn't. What a miserable experience. Thankfully though it didn’t ruin our stay…Costa Rica was otherwise a lovely country.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
39 Thank SisWilliams
borism1, Owner at Gaia Hotel & Reserve, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
This is simply not acceptable that Tripadvisor should be part of people that try to blackmail clients. These people were not even charged for the last two nights in order to get them out of the hotel. They yelled and screamed at our staff, even in front of other clients and they demanded that if they had to leave we needed to give them back the money for all their expenses in the hotel for the previous 4 days or they would write comments about us. We don't accept blackmails and particularly when they start playing the reverse discrimination card which I immediately told them not to talk to me that way, since I had defended equality causes for sexual alternative lifestyles, people of different races and more so than any, income inequality. It is unacceptable that should be going on and at this point I demand from Tripadvisor any and all information regarding the logs for these clients in order to preserve their viability as a legitimate platform for the exchange of opinions. All the other evaluations should clearly indicate where the problems really is and we, at this point are not willing to continue being bothered by a legal issue similar to the canadian event currently under way. One of the three partners - Boris V. Marchegiani
Miami, Florida
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Where do I begin???
From the moment we checked in, I was in love. The property is beautiful, the views are stunning, food is delicious, and service couldn't be better. If you need a place to just relax, wine and dine, and enjoy your significant other then look no more. The sunsets where beautiful from the pool and restaurant. The rooms where clean, modern, and beautiful. The bed was so comfy it was hard to avoid ordering breakfast in bed! We saw monkeys, sloths, tucans, iguanas...more wildlife then the national park! My husband and I have traveled the world and I don't think I've ever been so impressed by the service and quality of what Gaia offers! The spa was amazing and relaxing too. If you even thought you wanted something next thing you know its there! The service is incredible and the staff couldn't have been anymore hospitable! We will be back sooner then later, no doubt!

• Stayed September 2013
Tommy-Farrell, Owner at Gaia Hotel & Reserve, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
The entire staff is over the top thrilled that you enjoyed yourself so immensely....

As a 5 star luxury boutique hotel, Gaia certainly sets itself apart not only locally but in the entire Central American region.

This is proven by the numerous awards we have won ....competing against 7 nations including Mexico.

We can not wait for your return. Our staff already miss you and are looking forward to spoiling you once again in our little slice of paradise.

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience on this TripAdvisor forum.