“Dream Vacation”

Gaia Hotel & Reserve
Ranked #3 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed May 7, 2008

I arrived at Gaia with my boyfriend and our two friends on April 26th to spend a week celebrating my 40th birthday and I could not have asked for a more perfect location. We stayed in a two bedroom Villa which was enormous and had the softest sheets and nicest beds we have ever experienced at a hotel. While the hotel and property are gorgeous, the real jewel of this place is the staff. We were treated like the only guests in the place (and I know for a fact we were not the only guests staying there). I can't thank Christian, John, Josue, Gari, Francisco and Alvaro enough. The service was impecable from the pick up at the airport to booking every adventure we wanted to experience in the way we wanted to experience it. Tom, one of the owners, even drove us to the butterfly reserve one morning -- now that's personal service! The breakfasts are fantastic and I challenge anyone to leave breakfast feeling unfullfilled. Finally, we LOVED the spa -- there were so many tantilizing treatments that there was not way I could do everything I wanted to do in one week without never leaving the spa. Long story short - GO, RUN to Gaia. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (1,635)

Reviewed May 4, 2008

I travel a great deal so I can be a bit of a tough critic when it comes to hotel service, food, location, etc. Gaia proved to be a winner in all categories and we're so glad we chose it for our vacation at the end of April. We arrive at the local airstrip (Quepos) over 2 hours late due to delays with Sansa Air - but the Gaia staff was there to meet us anyway, tracking our flight changes as they occured. The location is amazing - on top of a mountain, overlooking the jungle with the ocean in the distance. The buildings are modern and the design incorporates the open 360 degree views, water elements and natural wood/plant/flower aspects. We booked a suite online for 5 nights and were contacted shortly after by Gaia to let us know that due to many internet bookings that same day, we were asked to consider an alternative reservation. Instead of 5 nights in the suite, we would spend the first night in the "jungle suite" (same as a regular suite with a jungle view) and then receive a free upgrade to a premier suite for the balance of the 4 nights. We were thrilled with this plan as the premier suite not only includes a bedroom, living room and deck - but also a 2nd level private terrace located on top of the building. This top deck had incredible views, a reflecting pool, table/chairs, outdoor shower, canopy with deck chairs, etc. My boyfriend and I had happy hour, watched the sun set and listened to the monkeys and birds chirp every night! The suite itself was incredible - the softest sheets and towels you'll every find, modern furniture, hardwood floors, jacuzzi tub, a dining area and minibar. The pool area is also a major highlight at Gaia. Terraced pools offer secluded deck areas, waterfalls and a top-notch pool bar. One of my absolute pet-peeves is fighting for a deck chair so I was so happy to find that there were plenty to go around, with only 1 or 2 other couples at the pool at the same time. We loved to watch the igaunas sunbathing on the decks in the afternoon! The hotel only has 17 rooms (no children under 16 allowed) so it can cater to the upscale, adult guests. The food is fantastic - great for me who likes gourmet, well-presented specialty dishes - and great for my boyfriend who has a much more simple tastes. The kitchen was highly accomodating for both of our needs. As you'll read in other reviews, breakfast is AMAZING and included in the price of the room. Lots of choices, ala carte and available at the restaurant or through room service, free of charge. Service is top-notch and I have to say, nobody does it better. Roberto and Steven at the Bar are personable and knowledgeable about recommendations for dinner/activities. Eylene, working at the spa, gave me an incredible manicure and pedicure. And of course, Boris (owner), David and Tom (VPs) were so professional, friendly and accomodating that we really felt like special guests. The concierge staff was on top of everything - arranging for trips into town, activities, transportation - anything you needed. My boyfriend was slightly ill one night so I requested something to settle his stomach since the pharmacies in town were already closed. They gave us some tablets and teas - and then even checked in with us about his health the next day. When you stay here, everyone takes the time to learn your names and really make sure you are having an incredible stay. As you can see, I am a big fan of Gaia. I truly believe in passing along info to help other travelers as these reviews have helped me find vacation properties that fit our needs. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions - I'd be happy to share other info on activities/restaurants in the surrounding area. jill.werry@novartis.com

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BellaRouge
Reviewed April 22, 2008

An adult-only hotel set in the hills overlooking the western coast of Costa Rica, Gaia is absolutely exquisite. Like many resorts in the country, Gaia offers a full service concierge that will help organize day trips for the more active guests. The hotel rooms themselves were immaculate and charming. The bathroom was spacious with a huge shower/jacuzzi tub. The room looked out into the jungle and had huge windows and a covered porch. The pools at the hotel were perfectly situated overlooking the same beautiful vista. The staff could not have been better, I felt like we were looked after and cared for. The food at the restaurant was brilliant- we rarely ventured away as it was not only convenient, but the best meal around. Usually I am one to wander around strange lands on my own in search of hidden treasures, but I honestly felt like I had chosen the best treasure at all in choosing to stay at Gaia!

• Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed April 12, 2008

This hotel is a true 5-star experience. The grounds are absolutely breathtaking - mixing the natural beauty of Costa Rica with the luxuriously modern and fresh design of the hotel. The staff could not be more helpful and warm; we felt like celebrities during our stay because of how well we were attended to. The hotel is small and doesn't allow children so it feels very private, intimate and romantic. A decadent full breakfast is included each morning (including the freshest juices we've ever had) and dinner at La Luna was our best meal of the trip. Gaia has a ton of modern conveniences that you would expect in the States but in no way is the authenticity of your trip compromised (we saw squirrel monkeys, a sloth and iguanas all on the hotel grounds). And while the hotel is not "cheap" for Costa Rica, when compared to similar resorts in other countries or rates in our home turf of Manhattan, the prices at Gaia were a steal! We can't say enough good things about this special hotel!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank missleigh
Reviewed April 1, 2008

The Gaia Hotel is a superb European style boutique hotel. My wife and I stayed at the Gaia for several nights at the end of our vacation in Costa Rica. After the very active hiking, zip line, and horseback riding adventures we did at other locations in Costa Rica, the Gaia was a wonderfully relaxing and thoroughly enjoyable experience. The Gaia's staff were the most efficient and friendly staff of all the hotels and resorts that we experienced. The grounds were immaculate and the multi-level pool and swim-up bar area was a great place to relax and enjoy the beautiful views of the Pacific Ocean. The studio room was exceptionally clean, comfortable, loaded with all the modern conveniences, and had sufficient room for two people. The restaurant served delicious breakfasts that were included in the room rate. The restaurant also had a great panoramic view of the Pacific Ocean, and the dinners were of gourmet quality. One evening during dinner, the co-owners (Tom and Dave) introduced themselves to the guests. It's obvious that the owners are truly interested in their guests experience at the Gaia, and the quality of the staff and facilities reflect their attention to detail. The spa was also a beautiful facility with excellent treatments at reasonable costs. My wife and I had the couples massage and we were very pleased with the service and staff. I noticed that one reviewer complained that the Gaia was not located on the beach. The Gaia offers a free, five minute van ride to the public beach and we found that this worked well. My wife and I would highly recommend the Gaia for those people who are interested in a five star, wonderful hotel in Costa Rica!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TennesseeTravelers
Reviewed March 26, 2008

We had a great stay here on the second part of our honeymoon. The staff and service was excellent. All of the hotels in Manuel Antonio are up on the mountain, as far as I could see. Manuel Antonio is more touristy than Mal Pais where we were before. But the Gaia was still serene and private enough with close enough access to tours and beaches. I actually thought it was a perfect compliment to our stay at Casa Chameleon. We only had 9 days total in Costa Rica and it was perfect split between the two. I would have to say we had the perfect honeymoon. And it was the first time either of us had travelled outside the U.S.!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ddtxTexas
Reviewed March 19, 2008

stayed here for the last leg of my honeymoon in costa rica and this was by far the most disappointing.. room was unbelievably small(the suite) .. the place is beautiful and one of kind BUT 10 mins taxi from the beach.. food is great and staff is great but I would not go there again.. Try the other hotels like Si Como No or Arenas Del Mar! I was payin 330$ a nite for a small room and for the same amt i would get an ocean view suite at another hotel! hope this helps.. bon voyage~

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank buckeye2005
Tommy-Farrell, Owner at Gaia Hotel & Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2008

Your subjective review is interesting to us here at Gaia. We need to point out that our Suites are 700 square feet comprised of one bedroom, a bathroom, a living room & dining area for four persons and a beautiful private balcony with two lounges overlooking the Pacific Ocean and tropical rain forest. The square footage is oversized in comparison to other hotels mentioned. And our rates are comparable if not less expensive for any hotel in the area that even comes close to the quality of Gaia.
Gaia provides free shuttle service for our guests to and from the beautiful beaches in Manuel Antonio from 8 AM until 4 PM. Taxis are not necessary. And the journey time to the beach is anywhere from 7 to 10 minutes depending on the time of day and local traffic.
Gaia provides a 5 to 1 ratio of hotel staff to each guest room which is the highest in all of Costa Rica. We have this to ensure our 5 star rating by Small Luxury Hotels of the World.
We hope this helps.