I stayed at the Cabinas Espadilla from March 1 to March 4, 2013. First off, the location's great, an eight-minute walk to Manuel Antonio National Park entrance, and it's a pleasant walk past other hotels or a small tourist shop here or there. There's also a short walk the other way to one of the many beaches in the area--you're there in five minutes.
In between the hotel and the path to the beach lies a very small wooded area, and I found it a great place to spot birds, either just after sunrise or an hour or so before nightfall. I hiked a great deal in Manuel Antonio and later in Monteverde, but two of the best birds I saw on my entire trip, the Hoffman's woodpecker and the striking fiery-billed aracari, I saw right in the small wooded area near my hotel.
The room was fine--good size, fridge and coffee maker, no insect issues. The wifi was okay--there was one time it didn't work, but only for a while. It was a little slow, but certainly enough to stay in touch if you need to--and really, you shouldn't be in Costa Rica if you require speedy Internet that works 24-7.
One morning the hot water took some time to get to a tolerable level, but for the most part that wasn't an issue, either. The air conditioner was old, but it got the job done. Breakfast buffet was at the Playas Espadilla across the street, a very short walk, and was really good.
I've read some other complaints about the noise, but it was fine while I was there. Staff was friendly and helpful--when my shuttle to take me to Monteverde didn't arrive, they contacted the travel company to make sure it was coming, even though that was really the travel company's responsibility, not the hotel's. No phones in the rooms, so no wake-up calls--instead, you requested a wake-up knock. And I got one every time I requested one, at the exact time.
There are other hotels in Manuel Antonio and most looked very nice, and I'm sure a few are better than this one. That being said, I'd have no problem staying here again should I be lucky enough to return to Costa Rica.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Espadilla Cabins is a beautiful little beach hotel located just one minute from the beach in Manuel Antonio. It has 16 units surrounded by beautiful gardens, a swimming pool and parking. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Cabinas Espadilla reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cabinas Espadilla Hotel Manuel Antonio National Park
- Cabinas Espadilla Costa Rica/Manuel Antonio