This was one of 3 hotels we stayed at in Costa Rica while on our honeymoon. Some aspects of the hotel are top notch, while others could use a little work.
We stayed in the Jacuzzi Penthouse Suite. The best aspect of this room is the magnificent penthouse view. When we first entered the room, we were overwhelmed with the scenery through the adjacent glass/plexiglass walls that gave an unobstructed view of the tall jungle treetops and the ocean just beyond and below. The view definitely gave us our money's worth.
The room was also romantically laid-out, with rose petals adorning the king bed, L-shaped couch (basically two day beds), and the jacuzzi. However, we felt the layout of the room was not too subtle and perhaps a bit sleazy/cheesy - with the king bed, jacuzzi, and couch all so close together it was almost as if the room were carefully planned for "mating purposes," and not much else.
The room layout was also a bit odd, which was basically a square floorplan that contains the toilet and shower areas inside the main room, rather than in separate rooms. The toilet is behind French doors, which are open on the top and bottom, so there is some visual separation but not much privacy. One of us would leave the room when the other had to use the bathroom; or else we would just go downstairs to use the community bathroom. If I could redesign the floorplan I would convert the large closet (which is a separate room with a solid-wood door) into the bathroom for more privacy.
Cleanliness was also a bit lacking. While the beds were neatly made and carefully decorated, my wife noticed an unclean smell with the pillows (B.O.) that she chose not to mention to me. I'm not sure how I failed to notice; I definitely would have asked for new pillows. We both noticed an unclean smell with the jacuzzi water. Downstairs, the restroom by the spa area was also not well attended. There were no clean towels to dry one's hands, the roll of toilet paper was loose and never mounted on the paper holder, and the scraps of tissue I used to exit and placed onto the table by the door were still there 24 hours later. That is in comparison to another comparably priced hotel we stayed at on this trip where the attendants regularly entered and cleaned almost everytime a guest entered and exited.
The free/included breakfast options were appreciated. The free coffee was a nice touch, though the quality was a little poor. Costa Rica has some great coffee, but not all Costa Rican coffee is good quality. I would have preferred a more premium brand, even if I had to pay extra for it.
The DINNER was EXCELLENT. This was a pleasant surprise, because hotel food is rarely exceptional. The fish and side dishes were delicious, however, and was among the most fresh-tasting food I had on this trip. I would have eaten there every night if I had known that. The desserts were not quite as good (for example, I think the cheesecake was frozen, then thawed just prior to serving).
So as you can see from my review, our stay with the hotel was a mix of 5-star aspects with a few 3-star aspects, but on balance, it was still an awesome experience. You just cannot find too many spots in the world with a view like this over the treetops and ocean, with natural wildlife in such proximity.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Issimo Suites Boutique Hotel, Spa & Waterfront Reserve offers intimacy and elegance for your romantic escape. Each suite includes a Jacuzzi bath tub for relaxation and enjoyment, as well as a majestic ocean view overlooking a pristine pacific cove. A plush king size bed, sofa, and room service from our boutique restaurant await your arrival. You can also indulge yourself with a massage in our spa after a day of adventure on one of our many tours or beaches. Our romantic hideaway suites access adjacent sandy beaches with a walk to the cove or famous Manuel Antonio Park and beaches. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity and Hotwire so you can book your Issimo Suites Boutique Hotel and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Issimo Suites Boutique Hotel Manuel Antonio National Park
- Issimo Hotel Boutique
- Issimo Boutique Hotel
- Issimo Suites Boutique Hotel And Spa Costa Rica/Manuel Antonio