TripAdvisor

from $99.00
from $390.00
from $75.00
11,657 results
All reviews beautiful beach national park costa rica public beach white sand warm water entrance fee white faced monkeys main trail capuchin monkeys guided tour nice park bring water clams fruit beaches wildlife
Selected filters
Reviewed May 8, 2017 via mobile

Spent the money on a guide (spontaneous decision at the gate, got a good deal), well worth it to see many things you would otherwise miss. Beach was great, fun for the whole family.

2  Thank Herb S
Reviewed May 8, 2017 via mobile

It's $16 to go into the park and it takes you to the beach . At the park you can see monkeys, sloaths, deer and go into the beach.

1  Thank jalyn2016
Reviewed May 8, 2017 via mobile

Costa Rica has so many beautiful places to see wildlife and nice beaches that I honestly didn't see what was so great about this specific park. Prior to arriving at MA we were on the Caribbean side in Puerto Viejo where we did a short hike and snorkelling in Cahuita national park and saw all the animals and more in MA within 1 hour. There are far too many tourists here, with thousands of tourists groups speaking loudly and laughing of course no rare animals aside from usual raccoons and monkeys (sloths are up in the trees anyway) will make much appearance! The beaches are ok but not amazing, the water is murky and green, I really don't understand the reviews on here!

It depends whether your preference is to visit somewhere everyone goes or to be more of an explorer in less popular but equally nice places

1  Thank goncat883
Reviewed May 7, 2017 via mobile

This was my first time to CR. I was looking forward to visiting the Caribbean coast but unfortunately couldn't make it and Manuel Antonio seemed highly recommended on a lot of travel blogs; as it was close to San Jose I decided to make the trip there instead.

I was expecting pristine white sand, clear water, free from rubbish.... sadly this wasn't the case. However, I am referring to the public beach that is just before entering the national park, the beach within the park may be different.

On so many travel blogs Manuel Antonio was hyped up to be a paradise.
Unfortunately there was a lot of vendors (fair enough people need to make a living), but also a lot of discarded coconuts (that people drink from), a lot of sun chairs and umbrellas making it hard to find space for just a towel, the sand seemed dirty.

Maybe I'm biased because I come from a very beachy country so have higher expectations. Also I'd just come from Hollywood beach in Miami and I much preferred Miami.

It is also VERY expensive in Manuel Antonio, same prices you'd pay in Miami for meals and drinks. I was staying in a hostel and was hoping to cook a few nights but there is only 1 very small grocery store within walking distance that doesn't sell meat, bread or fresh fruit n veg (there is some veg but extremely poor quality). It's more like a convenience store.

I really wanted to fall in love with Manuel Antonio... maybe the blogs I read where written by people who didn't grow up on the beach so maybe I have higher expectations or they were written a couple years ago and things have changed ..... I don't know. I'm just a bit sad I wasn't impressed.

There seems to be a lot of Manuel Antonio die hard fans online... I bet these people have money and are staying in resorts. This is not a very good backpacker / boho / beach bum beach.

Having said that, the national park beaches may be amazing, I just didn't want to pay $16 to enter and be disappointed.

See my photos for a better description.

Date of experience: April 2017
Reviewed May 7, 2017 via mobile

Beautiful beaches, there were raccoons and monkeys all over the beach si be careful where you leave your clothing and bags as they will take them.
This is a nice park to swim in but they charge too much for the daily entry fee and when you get into the park they try to hit you up for more money for a animal site seeing guide. I do not think you need a guide and would be just wasting your money.