“Not for families!”

$59.00*
Manuel Antonio National Park
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: One of Costa Rica's most popular beaches, Playa Manuel Antonio frequently hosts parties and festivals, and it is an ideal destination for avid surfers.
Israel
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 138 helpful votes
“Not for families!”
Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Beaches in Costa Rica are not people friendly unless u r a surfer or a fisherman. Very scenic but if you're not into overly active days don't go. My best but if advice that I can give to anyone going to Costa Rica is to get a SIM card at the airport for you phone I got a local number with 200 minutes and 15 days of unlimited Internet for my iPhone for $15. Cheapest package in the world. And you must have Waze if u r planning on driving there. There are hardly any signs and no street numbers. Lots of luck.

1 Thank Icchok

• Slovak first
Melbourne, Australia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Nice but crowded and beware river scam...”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Firstly there are many good things about this park and it is hard to deny the amazing beauty of the beaches and forest surrounding. I have to say though that it is a real shame that in a National Park in Costa Rica that you are totally ripped off at the end by having to pay some people on boats to cross a supposedly croc infested river to get out of the park even after having paid $10 to get it. Speaking to some locals afterwards this is apparently a scam by them to rip off tourists and there are no crocs at all and even if there are this should be included in your entry ticket. I can understand this if it is happening outside the park where trying to get scammed is part of travelling in some countries but this is inside the park itself so where is the regulation of such actions. I also saw a lot of locals get on a boat and pay nothing to cross. This ruins a day to the park and is such a shame that this happens and does nothing for the reputation of the way they run their national parks in Costa Rica.
The park needs more bins around the beaches as they are so incredibly crowded and bins are all open so the monkeys can just grab whatever they want. Im not sure what the $10 entry goes to but surely this should be a priority.
I couldnt help but feel that my $10 to enter the park does not get used in the right way and having seen all of the people there and the amazing number of hotels around the park that I am concerned for the future sustainability of the park and the animals within which is a real shame.

California
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Interesting but not a destination.”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

My wife researched Costa Rica and planned a great itinerary for our trip. We spent the last few days in Manuel Antonio and went to the park the second morning we were in town. Get there early because it is incredibly popular. We hire a guide and joined a group of 13 people. The guide was excellent but we were underwhelmed by the park itself. It was so crowded it felt mor like a zoo or wild animal park. After being at Monteverde and Arenal, I would place this as a distant third. It is too commercial and though interesting not worth the price of admission. Walking in the nearby beaches and Forrest was more enjoyable. This is probably a good choice for a family with young children since it is safe, well maintained and does offer views of wild life ( monkeys, interesting insects, sloths and cayman). Definitely hire a guide otherwise you will miss much of the wild life.

Atlanta, Georgia
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Cheapies Go to the Park!”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We were debating getting the guided tour, but after meeting a guy from Reno who owns a taco stand in town, we decided to go the cheap route and walk the park on our own. He said he'd been about 5 times and had seen all types of animals. We enjoyed it. It was nice to be on our own and not have some random tour guide with us the entire time. We saw monkeys, racoons, iguanas, and one sloth (that was my must). *I will note that we wouldn't have seen the sloth if we hadn't looked through a tour guide's telescope thing.* A tour guide walking back to the front without a group showed us a cool trick with one of the plants - touch it and the leaves close up. We enjoyed some time on the beach and in the water. All in all, I think if you have a larger group or want to get a guide, it would be worth it (depending on the guide you get) - as we walked along, we heard a few that sounded really good and knowledgeable, but some others didn't sound so into it and had basic information. I would definitely recommend going to the park - either for a full or half day. If nothing else you are supporting the Costa Rican rain forest and a national park, but you are bound to see something interesting and fun. :)

Visited November 2012
Quepos, Costa Rica
“worth seeing”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

You definitely need to pay a guide if you want to see any animals at all! They are quite expensive 20dollars per person on top of entrance fee...but knowledgeable as to where the animals would be located. I personally, did not like Miguel, our guide, I felt he was in quite a hurry for the money we paid for 5 people....spent about and hour with us and did not offer anything beyond the standard here is a sloth-here is a monkey etc..... Make time to swim...Beaches are the most beautiful ever. If I had planned better, would have come at opening for some unguided hiking as well....