New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Condotel Las Cascadas
San Francisco, California
“Great hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

This was our last stop on our Costa Rican adventure and Las Cascadas was the perfect way to end it. It was right in between Manuel Antonio and Quepos. We were able to walk down into town or catch the bus to Manuel Antonio. Gary was very helpful and friendly, gave us recommendations and helped with transportation. We stayed in the gorgeous honeymoon dome. We had a gorgeous view of the hotel, and quite a workout every time we got home! Make sure you're in shape if you stay in the dome, its definitely a hike up!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
las_cascadas, Front Office Manager at Condotel Las Cascadas, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am happy that we were able to play a part in a memorable vacation. The Dome location isn't for everyone, because of the hike up, but it is a very private and unique suite for those who are up to the challenge.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Finnish first
Hallandale Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I had a great time at Las Cascadas in early September.
We felt so welcomed by Gary and Catalina. The hotel is located in a great little city called Quepos and everything was perfect and very relaxing. Gary and his wife arranged all of our tours and made it very safe and simple for us as foreigns,and best of all was to see the attention and dedication they give out to guests. It was perfect!!! I would definitely come back and recommend this hotel to friends and family.
Thank you for the amazing time we had.
Vanessa Witte

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for taking the time to give us a comment on your stay. It was a pleasure to be a part of your vacation. We do our best to look after the little details so that our guests can truly enjoy a slice of Costa Rican life.
Coconut Creek, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

My friends and I stayed at Las Cascadas during the first few days of September of 2012, and from the moment the car dropped us off, I was in awe... Gary (the hotel owner) and his family have a done an absolutely beautiful job decorating, running, and creating a comfortable, 'homey' feeling at Las Cascadas. The entire place sits beautifully on top of a hill. Many of the rooms have spectacular views, little bunnies run around, and there were days that we even saw monkeys swinging about. Every room was tastefully decorated, and felt authentically Costa Rican. It truly is beautiful, and I can't even count how many pictures I took of the place alone.

As for our experience with the staff... There is not a single negative thing that can be said. It is a family run place, and Gary and his family really made us feel like we were long lost relatives. They helped us with everything we needed, deterred us from shady situations, and took a personal interest to make sure that we all had a great and safe time. They were truly generous and king hearted people that we all feel in love with.

The hotel was also excellently located. We were walking distance from the city of Quapos, (literally down the hill and to the right) where there were great restaurant and little stores, street vendors, and one of the days we were there, there was a great outside farmer's market with some delicious fruits that I have never even seen before. Prices for food and shopping were definitely a little better in Quapos then in the heart of Manuel Antonio. But on the days that we preferred to hang out in the more touristy Manuel Antonio, cab rides were only $8-$10 and it generally did not take more than 10 minutes to get to our desired destination.

I can honestly say, without any reservations, that I would stay at Condotel Las Cascadas again the next time I visit Costa Rica... The hotel was amazing, the owners were fantastic, and the experience was deeply memorable. Thank you for everything Gary! You and your family helped make our trip everything we were hoping that it would be and more.

Room Tip: There's a renovated room, a bit higher up than the others, that is absolutely breathtaking. It e...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
las_cascadas, Owner at Condotel Las Cascadas, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Thanks so much for your wonderful review. You have expressed exactly what we try to accomplish here at Las Cascadas , that our visitors feel right at home . What a great group you were, and beleive me when I say I think we had as much fun as you all did . We truly feel we have made some new friends and we hope to see you all again soon.
Gary & Catalina
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

After staying in hostels for our whole trek, my fiancee and I wanted a little luxury for our last night in Costa Rica. The night before we wanted to arrive, I had emailed Gary, the owner, asking about availability and he responded right away. Once you find it, and we definitely would not have found it on our own - even our cab driver had to ask around a bit - you realize the location is perfect. Despite being hidden away, up a hill, it's easy walking distance both to the heart of Quepos, and to the road connecting Quepos and Manuel Antonio, where you can catch a bus to take you to Manuel Antonio.

The grounds are beautiful - including a pool - and two cute bunnies who hop around the property! Our room was stunning. Beautifully decorated. When the afternoon rain hit, I could not think of a cozier, more romantic place to be. We had the terrace outside our room all to ourselves, and made good use of the bar/sink/fridge area. Comforts of home. This terrace generally would be shared with another room. This would be ideal for families or groups travelling together. One of the highlights of my entire trip was the monkey show I witnessed at 6 am the following morning. From our terrace, I could watch the monkeys swinging in the trees below, and running across the roof of the school nearby. Priceless.

Breakfast was great! Beautiful presentation. Gary chatted with us while we ate, and as we were curious about the rest of the property, he took the time to show us around, even highlighting the medicinal value of some of the plants. He very kindly allowed us a super late check-out that day, as we did not need to head to San Jose until late evening. Throughout our stay, everyone was super helpful, and helped us figure out other bookings we needed, like our transportation to San Jose. All in all, a fantastic end to our vacation.

Room Tip: Ocean-view king was great!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thanks for staying with us, Its been a good year and closing the year on a positive , with guests like you makes it all worth while. The fact that you proposed to your lady here at Las Cascadas made me feel proud that our guests feel the magic of our little hidaway, God Bless your relationship and if you do decide, as you mentioned, to have the wedding here that would make it even more special. We look forward to it.
Gary $ Catalina
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I stayed here with my best friend for an impromptu trip to Costa Rica. I loved the feel of this resort, it felt very authentic. Gary, the owner was great. He was incredibly helpful and a pleasure to shoot the breeze with. He helped us plan the second leg of our trip to La Fortuna, advised us on restaurants and places to see.
Our room was a two level apartment with the "living area"/kitchen on the lower floor then up the few stairs are the bathroom and bedroom. It was a cute bungalow type room complete with little lizards here and there climbing the walls (which I loved).
The pool was pretty cool, not huge but it was clean and there was also an honor bar stocked with Gatorade, water and beer.
The only reason I gave it 4 stars is because the A/C didn't really work in our room and the lock on our door was broken. It's not a fancy place but there are good people that genuinely care about your stay working there and that counts for a lot.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank NicolePappas
las_cascadas, Owner at Condotel Las Cascadas, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Thank you! I hope you had a great time on the second portion of your vacation, I am thrilled to know that our authenticity and customer service were able to compensate for the A/C problem.
Please come back, we have the little lizards waiting for you!
Gary & Catalina.
Macon, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Las Cascadas is a hidden gem just outside Quepos and Manuel Antonio National Park. My girlfriend and I stayed in a one-bedroom suite for three nights. Gary and his family were very helpful during our entire stay. Gary even used his own vehicle to provide transportation for us to the meet the bus on our last day. The breakfasts were delicious each morning. the view of the ocean is spectacular. The rooms are clean, cozy, and well decorated. The pool is very nice. We enjoyed the three nights we stayed here and wish we'd stayed longer. It was a very peaceful, relaxing stay. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Can be set up as one bedroom, two bedroom or three bedroom suites
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you! Certainly we appreciate your recommendation to others.
We look forward to your next stay at Las Cascadas.
Gary & Catalina
Eagle River, Alaska, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

While researching things to do and places to stay in Costa Rica I discovered a hidden jewel nestled within a lush tropical rainforest, Condotel Las Cascadas. While on holiday, I typically try to cram too much into my travel itinerary; often, needing a vacation from my vacation. When I found Las Cascadas my inner voice told me to slow down and explore the area around Quepos and Manuel Antonio National Park. My inner voice has not always been right; however, this time I am glad I listened.

While planning my recent trip to Costa Rica I was searching for someplace I could use as a basecamp where I could rest after a long day backpacking through Manuel Antonio. Las Cascadas offered that and much, much more. Gary and Catalina were generous and gracious hosts who gave willingly of their time and offered advice on local activities. A scrumptious breakfast consisting of fresh fruits, juices, omelets, banana/coconut pancakes, and smoked salmon and bagels were served daily by the poolside or at another private setting of my choice.

Living in Alaska, I am surrounded by beautiful scenery and wildlife; however, I found my time spent hiking through Manuel Antonia to be awe-inspiring. Experiencing the lush vegetation, beautiful sandy beaches, white-faced and howler monkeys, two-toed and three-toed sloths, iguanas, and colorful birds was life changing. By the way, if you are wondering if it is worth the money to take a guided tour through the Park….I would just say, Definitely. The guides are professional experienced individuals who carry powerful telescopic lenses to aid in viewing wildlife. It is amazing how much more you will see with a guide then going it on your own.

Any guest who stays at Las Cascadas will agree that over the past two decades Gary and Catalina have poured their heart and soul into transforming their property into an amazing sanctuary. Shielded within a beautiful rainforest it appears that Las Cascadas has existed since the beginning of time. As a scientist, some may think I am often too detailed-oriented. Catalina and Gary’s attention to detail is exceptional and they have truly exceeded my expectations. Although, built in stages their vision has remained constant throughout the years. The property’s open design built on sloped terraces, use of windows to accentuate vistas, waterfall and painted murals in the pool area, a rock fountain in the Penthouse Suite, and use of woods and earth tones within each of the condos are only some of the examples of how Gary and Catalina have succeeded at bringing the outdoors indoors.

Gary and Catalina, thank you for opening your home to help provide me an experience of a lifetime.

Cheers,
Jeff Norberg

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank JeffNorberg
Many of our guests , take on a special place in our lives, Your short but significant stay here Jeff, proved to be one of those, Even when you made the reservation on the phone we seemed to click and your arrival here just confirmed that. I have no doubt in my mind we will be friends for a long time , and thanks for choosing our little hidaway above all the options out there.
I know we will be seeing you sooner than later.
Gary & Catalina Rogers