“Great food, great view, great service”
Review of El Lagarto

El Lagarto
Cuisines: International, Central American
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Unico y original
Reviewed August 21, 2014

Ignore the ugly entrance: this place is great.Go early if you want to enjoy the view. It's worth it, even on a cloudy day as today.The jalapeño shrimps are out of this World: spicy as hell, tasty as heaven.And the grill setup is spectacular.

There are newer reviews for El Lagarto

Reviewed August 21, 2014

These grilled fish and steaks will be competitive anywhere in the world, including New York, San Francisco and even Argentina. The menu is deceptively simple, but it highlights what this restaurant does best- grilling. There are very few things that are better than a perfectly aged and seasoned steak grilled over real wood charcoal, and this place has perfected it. The only thing better than their grilled steak is their grilled fish. We I'll be back for great food, nice service, good drinks send killer fresh fruit juices off the kids.

Reviewed August 20, 2014

I have eaten at most places in Manuel Antonio and this one by far is the best tasting food. Our table had the edemame, Pork tenderloin with bacon and madam cheese, Mixed mushroom plate, Mahi Mahi, and the regular pork tenderloin. Every plate was delicious! The flavors of every item- from the grilled tomato to the baked potato were amazing. Especially the Pork tenderloin- perfectly seasoned and cooked. Highly recommended place and I can't wait to go back! I very rarely find many places that I will die to take friends and family to when they are in town and I am glad to say I have found a place! They even had buy one get one free happy hour drinks!

Atmosphere is great. Definitely a must try!

Reviewed August 17, 2014

We were the only people in the whole restaurant!!! They had a very basic menu of steak, chicken pork, seafood. But, the cooking system was different. They fired logs up above a chute, as the coals become small enough to drop thru gate onto chute were chef spreads coals of a bed. over the bed is an adjustable swinging grill platform. The flavor from the coals was amazing!!! I would rate this the best restaurant in Manueal Antonio!!! A must go eat here place!!!!

Reviewed August 12, 2014

Don't let the unappealing entrance, the off the beaten path type of entrance fool you. I have to admit, I was a little thrown off by the entrance and worried about the quality of the food. This place is a hidden gem. Beautiful, open-air seating overlooking spectacular views with robust scents of perfectly seasoned meat making you yearn for food immediately. Friendly staff. The food here is fresh, delicious and perfectly seasoned. I had the steak and chicken combo which comes with a baked potato and roasted tomato and zucchini...all perfectly seasoned ( a unique seasoning I've never had before) and the steak cut like melted butter. The appetizer we had (forget the name) was a spicy shrimp cooked in a roasted Jalepeno topped with a spicy cheese. It reads "Very Spicy" on menu but I didn't think it was too hot. I loved it. It was like a Tex-Mex kind of dish. Our waitress was super sweet as were her helpers. The restaurant has mega ambiance--perfect for families or even couples on a romantic night out. Oh, I had chocolate mousse for dinner---it is on the small side so if sharing you might want to order two, but nonetheless delicious. The only complaint I have about this restaurant, and it is minor is that they don't have bread or tortilla chips before dinner is served. While the restaurant is not slow by any means, it still seems like a lifetime between ordering and serving when you are hungry and I think offering guests a basket of bread or tortillas would be a nice touch. Oh, and maybe an extra choice or two on dessert menu. But really, these are just minor suggestions for a place that is already outstanding. I would give this place an A+ in delicious food, friendly staff and phenomenal views! I would come back if I travel to the area!