“Wow!! The special flavor of the coal cooking system was WOW!”
Review of El Lagarto

El Lagarto
Ranked #19 of 100 Restaurants in Manuel Antonio
Cuisines: International, Central American
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Unico y original
Reviewed August 17, 2014

We were the only people in the whole restaurant!!! They had a very basic menu of steak, chicken pork, seafood. But, the cooking system was different. They fired logs up above a chute, as the coals become small enough to drop thru gate onto chute were chef spreads coals of a bed. over the bed is an adjustable swinging grill platform. The flavor from the coals was amazing!!! I would rate this the best restaurant in Manueal Antonio!!! A must go eat here place!!!!

Reviewed August 12, 2014

Don't let the unappealing entrance, the off the beaten path type of entrance fool you. I have to admit, I was a little thrown off by the entrance and worried about the quality of the food. This place is a hidden gem. Beautiful, open-air seating overlooking spectacular views with robust scents of perfectly seasoned meat making you yearn for food immediately. Friendly staff. The food here is fresh, delicious and perfectly seasoned. I had the steak and chicken combo which comes with a baked potato and roasted tomato and zucchini...all perfectly seasoned ( a unique seasoning I've never had before) and the steak cut like melted butter. The appetizer we had (forget the name) was a spicy shrimp cooked in a roasted Jalepeno topped with a spicy cheese. It reads "Very Spicy" on menu but I didn't think it was too hot. I loved it. It was like a Tex-Mex kind of dish. Our waitress was super sweet as were her helpers. The restaurant has mega ambiance--perfect for families or even couples on a romantic night out. Oh, I had chocolate mousse for dinner---it is on the small side so if sharing you might want to order two, but nonetheless delicious. The only complaint I have about this restaurant, and it is minor is that they don't have bread or tortilla chips before dinner is served. While the restaurant is not slow by any means, it still seems like a lifetime between ordering and serving when you are hungry and I think offering guests a basket of bread or tortillas would be a nice touch. Oh, and maybe an extra choice or two on dessert menu. But really, these are just minor suggestions for a place that is already outstanding. I would give this place an A+ in delicious food, friendly staff and phenomenal views! I would come back if I travel to the area!

Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

Can you believe that the owners picked us up and dropped us off at our hotel? What a great and kind service! The round trip would have been at least $20.

I ordered the fish fillet (mahi mahi), with baked potato, grilled tomato and zucchini (approx. $11). My husband ordered grilled chicken and we both enjoyed our meals and our happy hour drinks.

The sunset was amazing and the service was great.

We felt so grateful for the shuttle service and the chance to try a new restaurant

Reviewed July 6, 2014

We went there twice. First time had baby back ribs and lomito - both were juicy, delicious and smokey. Went there second time and were a bit disappointed - instead of baby back they only had st.louis ribs that were kind of dry and not that tasty. They compensated with lots of garlic sauce to the extent that my stomach got upset the next day. Give it a chance, but it has its ups and downs - for the price i would expect more reliable quality

Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our dinner despite that it was empty when we went for dinner. The steak was very good! The grilled veggies were excellent. My son loved the ribs. It would be perfect at sunset!