We stayed at the Shana Hotel (boutique hotel-27 rooms) at the end of a week-long tour (arranged by Swiss Travel) of Costa Rica Feb 5-7, 2014. It was by far the most beautiful hotel we encountered during our tour. We had a junior suite and the room was breathtaking. (if you don't like contemporary, white minimalist decor, this place is not for you.) The room was exceedingly clean. The king bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was huge (especially enjoyed the rainshower). We had a small private balcony with a beautiful view. We had dinner at the hotel one night--it was very good, but a bit pricey. The included breakfast menu was limited but also very good and the presentation was pretty. The fruit and bread was excellent! Carlos was SO helpful during our stay. He arranged a ziplining tour for us and made sure we were able to have breakfast early before we went--even though it was before serving time. The infinity pool was beautiful with walk-in access. We enjoyed a full afternoon just relaxing on one of the "pool beds" near the pool.
If I could, I would give them a 4.5-4.75. The reasons I did not give this place a five:
1. LOCATION (not their fault). The hotel is located near the end of a long & windy road. If you like quiet and a fairly isolated location and/or have a car, this would NOT be a problem. There is no shuttle service and you have to take a taxi ($10 each way) to other restaurants, Manual Antonio & Quepos. The road to the hotel does not have sidewalks and is steep, windy & narrow-perhaps OK to walk in the day, but much too dangerous to walk at night. Also, the walk from your hotel room to the front desk/pool/restaurant is VERY steep. They realize this and do offer a golf cart (which is stationed by the hotel rooms) to take you up if you wish. There are more condos than hotel rooms at this property, but we did not feel crowded at the restaurant or pool.
2. Property Issues
Apparently, this property was recently acquired by the current owners. The Spa was closed (maintenance-but I was told I could have spa services by arrangement), the elevator in the hotel was not working, some of the pool decking was broken and needed to be replaced (we did bring this to Carlos' attention and we did see repairman working on it), and the whirlpool wasn't working.
Also, there is a private beach within walking distance (interesting walk). We visited it once, but I didn't care for it (nothing like the beach at Manual Antonio) and would suggest water shoes as it has a fairly rocky bottom.
Overall, we really liked this hotel & the staff, loved the views and the food, but didn't care much for the location. I like to walk around the areas where we stay and was not able to do much of that. I feel that the maintenance issues are easily fixable and probably on management's agenda. Again, I think our experience would be different if we just wanted to "veg" out (perfect place to do this) or had a car to get around.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Shana Hotel is the world’s leading brand in exclusive lifestyle boutique hotels. Embracing the culture, beauty, purity and perfection of its natural environment. Shana Hotel in Manuel Antonio, guarantees guests a unique and exclusive travel experience. Complimented by distinguished design, organic local cuisine, ecological adventures and exceptional hotel amenities, this new hotel in Costa Rica is among of the most exclusive and prestigious lifestyle hotels in the world. With that premise in mind, the Shana Hotel provides visitors a fabulous selection of 27 rooms, all with exceptional garden and ocean views. Choose from Superior or Deluxe Rooms, Junior Suites or pamper yourself in the Souss "Spa Lifestyle Suite," a 3 bedroom luxury unit with its own private infinity pool and full kitchen facilities! Book today to start enjoying your dream Costa Rica vacation getaway! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, Priceline, Hotel.de and HRS so you can book your Shana By The Beach, Hotel Residence & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shana By The Beach, Hotel Residence & Spa Costa Rica/Manuel Antonio National Park