While everyone at the Shana was very nice during our stay, we had some serious issues with the accommodations:
- When we arrived my wife and I were put in a dank room on the ground level with a rock hard mattress, 2 floors separate from the room with our kids. While the decor was pleasant in a modern, stark-white hospital sort of way, the white area rug was badly stained, giving the whole room a dirty feel. On our request we were moved to another room on the third level, which also had a rock hard mattress, this one with shot springs on one side that creaked and listed badly. But we were finally next to our kids so we let it be. More about the bed later.
- The breakfast included with our package was the exact same EVERY MORNING - fruit, bread and eggs, with an option for rice and beans. This got old very quickly.
- On the last day my wife discovered bed bugs on our mattress (we include photos) When we alerted management, they said it was ants and suggested it was our fault because we brought food into the room (the one day we did that we kept the food in the mini-fridge). I really resent that tactic on their part. While I tried to give them the chance to make good on such an unpleasant stay, they refused, saying we had stayed all the nights (Such reasoning is bewildering, since we didn't have an option to move anywhere else, and I am sure they would not have refunded our money if we did).
On the plus side, it is a lovely setting, the pool was nice (though over-chlorinated), and a lovely public beach was a 10 minute walk away. Again, the staff was also super-freindly (save for the manager, with whom we only exchanged emails). But it was not worth the considerable expense, especially considering the management did not want to make good on the fact that they had bed bugs. I reiterate, this is not a luxury accommodation, as it is billed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Shana Hotel is the world’s leading brand in exclusive lifestyle boutique hotels. Embracing the culture, beauty, purity and perfection of its natural environment. Shana Hotel in Manuel Antonio, guarantees guests a unique and exclusive travel experience. Complimented by distinguished design, organic local cuisine, ecological adventures and exceptional hotel amenities, this new hotel in Costa Rica is among of the most exclusive and prestigious lifestyle hotels in the world. With that premise in mind, the Shana Hotel provides visitors a fabulous selection of 27 rooms, all with exceptional garden and ocean views. Choose from Superior or Deluxe Rooms, Junior Suites or pamper yourself in the Souss "Spa Lifestyle Suite," a 3 bedroom luxury unit with its own private infinity pool and full kitchen facilities! Book today to start enjoying your dream Costa Rica vacation getaway! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Hotel.de and HRS so you can book your Shana By The Beach, Hotel Residence & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shana By The Beach, Hotel Residence & Spa Costa Rica/Manuel Antonio National Park