“Exceptional service, delicious cuisine, and a stunning view.”
Review of Emilio's Cafe

Emilio's Cafe
Cuisines: Healthy
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed August 27, 2014

Don't judge this book by the cover. From the outside the restaurant looks a little shady but when you walk through the door and gaze out over the water you'll be thankful you didn't pass this one by.

From start to finish we were taken care of. As a large group travelling to Costa Rica for a wedding we were accommodated without delay and offered a drink while we perused the menu and considered the daily specials. Drinks arrived quickly and were regularly offered (this was a blessing in the swelling heat, my margaritas were perfect). The food was fresh and pleasingly plated, the portions were more than generous and the balance of traditional and local plates offered was just right. The cost of plates was more than fair as well. What would have been a very expensive meal in Toronto, Canada was a pittance at Emilio's.

I would highly recommend this local hideaway to all travelers in the area. It's a great place to have a nice sit down meal or a coffee/dessert while enjoying breathtaking views.

Reviewed August 24, 2014

My husband and I came here a few times during our stay near Manuel Antonio on our honeymoon and each experience was great. We've tried their croissant breakfast sandwich, flourless chocolate cake (YUM), macaroon, and lattes. All were great and the service was good. Beautiful view.

Reviewed August 24, 2014

We stopped there for lunch after visiting Biesanz beach down the street. It was recommended by locals. Delicious food, beautiful views, great staff. Had the falafel salad and the Kafka pita - really tasty! The cheesecake is nice, too. It's a pity we found this place on our last day in the area... It's a must if you want to escape the kitschy tourist places.

Reviewed August 23, 2014 via mobile

Went here twice--both times i hated the service, but the first time i thought maybe they were having an off night and since i liked the location/atmosphere i tried it again.

Problems with service:

A) cant get service to save my life, completely ignore me

B) they pay attention to others, like families (im traveling alone at this moment) -- im guessing they assume theyll get a bigger tip.

C) friendly costa ricans dont work here-- they WILL NOT speak to me in spanish, it is literally the only place in costa rica or manuel antonio where this happens, even though they are tico and i speak to them in spanish, they just see me as a white girl. This wouldnt bother me except i know that this is not how a normal tico acts, so if nothing else i find it a bad sign. Additionally, the ONE thing i asked for in english because i wasnt sure of the spanish name, they got wrong. Good job.

D) after paying no attention to me (both times) they unceremoniously kicked me out of the table i was sitting in while i was having a post-dinner drink (sangria, which is a very big glass so it takes a while!) I was sitting by the pleasant view, but it was night with zero visibility, and this has a cafe vibe with a live band about to start. They hadnt asked if i wanted dessert or anything to give a hint. They did not move my glass, i did. Furthermore, maybe 2 minutes after i left for an inside table the people next to me turned out to be the live band that was scheduled to play, and when they got up to play the table remained open the rest of the time i was there. So why was it necessary to kick me out so tactlessly?

Food:
Great menu options but tasteless (the fish was so bland i couldnt finish it and i was really hungry and am not a picky eater!), with the exception of dessert which is yummy (but not costa rican so for all the trouble ill just get it elsewhere)

Vibe:
Nice, not costa rican, but artsy/bohemian which i really liked

View:
Great, but everywhere in manuel antonio has a breathtaking view, so skip it.

Other:
They let me use the restroom on my way to the beach before i came back for the second time, and were perfectly nice (thus i decided to come back on the assumption they were having an off day)

I do not recommend it, there are so many wonderful places to enjoy in this area

Reviewed August 23, 2014

Views are great, the salads are fantastic!!! and also the rib eye, but... in the end you pay for it. I can't rate it as excelent, because the views are the best thing that they have, and it wouldn't be worth for other places that do a fantastic job and you leave the place incredibly happy without this views. Views are theirs, but they make you pay for it and nothing else.

But, if you need to do a quick lunch or breakfast, visit this place!! It's for a fantastic-quick stop, not for special ocasions and anything else.

GREAT DESERTS!! They have plenty of options as cakes, cookies, etc.