“Great service”

Dante's Water Sports
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Surf Lessons School for all ages and Paddle Board Tours, beach tours, kayaking SUP.
Reviewed June 9, 2014

When we arrived at Manuel Antonio Beach for surfing lessons, Dante suggested that we travel 30 minutes south to another beach where waves would be better. I was skeptical at first, thinking "what's this gonna cost?" My mistake. The recommendation was made with our best interests in mind (as beginner surfers). Dante didn't charge a penny more, even though this trip usually costs double what we paid. And it was more inconvenient for them (packing up the boards and gear, travel). Boy was I surprised when we arrived at the beautiful black sand Matapolo beach that stretches for miles until it fades into mist. And the added bonus of being relatively spectator free.

I give 5 stars for several reasons:
Dante was clearly supervising the instructors to make sure we had the best experience. He was laid back, but not overly so. It seemed that we all (students and instructors) had fun. Pura Vida!
Instructors were awesome. We were engaged in conversation with them during the 30 minute drive and they were informative and knowledgeable about Costa Rica beyond the surf. Felt like we made new friends. We even stopped to say goodbye on our last day.
Every one was able to stand up!

Reviewed June 1, 2014

Dante and Jessie provided for an excellent experience for my girlfriend and me. My girlfriend couldn't handle the pro level waves we experienced the first day, so Dante brought us back later in the week when it was calmer, free of charge. Lounge chairs, water, and fresh pineapple completed a great day at the beach.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

I recommend Dante and his staff if you want to learn how to surf. Jessie and Mambo taught my four kids today - their first time ever - and they had a blast. Both instructors were attentive and gave good instruction on safety and technique. Dante also set us up with chairs and umbrellas to watch. Really appreciate Mambo's patience and enthusiasm.

Reviewed May 24, 2014

Our entire group got up first try. The safety tips were also very valuable. Overall had a great time and I would highly recommend this group.

Reviewed May 12, 2014

My 15 year old daughter took a surfing lesson with Jessie. It was fantastic! He was a very good instructor, safe, and attentive. My daughter was up surfing in a matter of minutes and had an absolute blast! Dante provided a large canopy for shade and lounge chairs for us parents while we watched. We all enjoyed fresh pineapple on a break. Overall this was a highlight of our trip to Costa Rica!