“Friendly instructors - both of us got up the first time!”

Dante's Water Sports
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Surf Lessons School for all ages and Paddle Board Tours, beach tours, kayaking SUP.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Friendly instructors - both of us got up the first time!”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Just came back from our first surfing experience. It was great! Our instructors are patient and friendly. We got up the first time!

• Hebrew first
Toronto, Canada
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“What a great day!”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

If you are thinking about surfing or just trying to improve on some basic skills then you have to go to Dante's water sports. I had previously done a lesson Quepos Harbor with another company and that was great but my husband was with me and there is really nowhere nice for someone to sit in Quepos Harbor. It was our last day so we decided to go to the Manuel Antonio local beach and I decided to go surfing with Dante's water sports. They picked us up in a really nice brand-new van and it was a quick drive down to the Manuel Antonio public beach. It was $65 for my lesson and that included a beach chair and umbrella rental as well as fruit and the lesson went all morning. My husband was also able to rent a beach chair and umbrella and share the fruit as well for an additional $10. Another family with three kids was also joining in the lesson that morning so they provided three instructors for 5 people, a good ratio. They start with a quick lesson underneath a shaded tent showing you how to get up on the board, then it's off into the water to learn how to surf. I was luckily paired up with an instructor named Lara, she recently came to Costa Rica from Germany to surf full time and we got along very well. She was quick to get me on as many waves as she could, and that really just came down to how fast I could paddle back out. There's a good amount of gentle waves in the morning and I tried to take advantage of as many as possible, you do have to miss some to let others go and there were maybe about 10 people surfing in the area we were in, but it was a great time and our group of five went down to two as people got tired and that cleared up lots of space but the waves die own a bit as noon approaches so you spend a bit more time lying on your board waiting for a wave (note to the fair skinned, reapply sunscreen during your mid morning break because lying on your board displays your backside and back legs to the sun and you will pay for it. I robot to reapply and I paid for it dearly hanging to fly home with a badly burned backside). Lara was a great instructor and the other two, Paulo and Jose were super nice and encouraging, great with kids for sure. What's really nice is you get the whole morning, hey are really relaxed and if you come with someone who just wants to watch, they can rent a lounger and umbrella and just watch from a beautiful beach. It is a public beach but the local vendors are chilled out, not pushy at all and won't bother you once you say no. I think this place gives great value and good fun, perfect for beginner surfers and family members that just want to watch. I would use them again.

Visited February 2013
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Great surfing lesson!”
Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I had a wonderful surfing lesson today with Carlos! Highly recommend Dante's surfing lessons. We were picked up in a nice van on time and quickly made it to the beach. They gave great instructions on land before we headed to into the water. Carlos stayed right beside us in the water giving us step by step instructions! During a break and afterwards they had water and watermelon for us.

Minneapolis
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Surfing made easy & fun!”
Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

A true professional doing what he loves. My wife and I have never surfed and now we have. Dante and his crew makes the learning process fun. Don't worry about bringing your camera, they do an excellent job of capturing memorable photos and while they are not free the price is reasonable. I will be back to conquer more waves thanks to Dante! Chairs and umbrella come with the package. Totally worth it so just go for it!

Miami
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Awesome Surf Lessons!”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Our family was able to enjoy surf lessons during our stay in Costa Rica. Our instructors were great and very encouraging in helping us learn how to ride our very first waves. We had a great time and this was very memorable experience.

Visited January 2013