“restaurant is terrific”

Villas Nicolas
Maryland
“restaurant is terrific”
Reviewed August 13, 2011

We did not stayat the hotel. I could not find a way to review the restaurant seperately. It was a recommended to us by a lovely canadian woman who works at a great shop near the bank. The blackened tuna was incredibly fresh and cooked to perfection. My family loved their meals as well and the service was great.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 21, 2011

First I have to say the staff was very friendly and accommodating. Nice quaint boutique hotel and very reasonably priced. The only 2 complaints I had was the bed smelled a little musty. I think it is because of the humidity and they don't turn on AC in room until people rent it. Second their is no TV. I thought that was odd since I saw cheaper hotels advertise with TV's. If you can afford to pay a little more, then definitely recommend Hotel Si Como No next door. I kind of wish I stayed there.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
San Francisco Bay Area
Reviewed July 20, 2011

We stayed in a 2-room suite, nice and roomy for three people (#11). I loved the balcony (and hammock) with a view of the ocean and jungle. The two wooded, arched doorways that opened to the balcony were a nice touch. We could hear the ocean as we sat on the balcony, but also enjoyed all the monkeys and the sloth we observed in the jungle around us. The balcony was nice and private. We woke up one morning and did exercises on the balcony as all three types of monkeys passed by: spider (Titi), howler and white faced.

We did find a cockroach outside on the gate, and there were a couple ants inside the kitchen, ...but this is Costa Rica. If you are terrified of bugs it's probably a bad idea to visit the rainforest! It's a very open floor plan and we left doors open for the most part, so I was surprised we did not find more bugs.

The included breakfast was good, but the same every day. We never ate there for dinner as it seemed very expensive. I would highly recommend walking to El Avion restaurant. I found most Costa Rican restaurants expensive, but surprisingly, El Avion was quite reasonably priced.

I was very sad to leave this hotel, I wish we could have stayed for more than 2 days.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank NorCalVoyager
Amsterdam
Reviewed June 25, 2011

Wow! What a great place. Our huge room (nr 3) was big with kithen, a very big terrace with ocean view, a living room, a nice bedroom and a good bathroom. The style of the house was very nice, we felt home soon. The room was very pricey, but because of the low season we could make it a bit cheaper. The breakfast was oke, and the swimmingpool very nice.
The surroundings are great. It is very near to the National Park and ten minutes by car to Quepos. We highly recommend Sancho's fish taco's, it's a 2 minute walk to the left.

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IwanYvonne
Benicia, California
Reviewed May 24, 2011

My husband and I spent two nights at Villas Nicolas, and of all the places we stayed while in Costa Rica, we most wish we could go back to Villas Nicolas! While it was the most expensive place we stayed, it was absolutely amazing. We had Villa #3 up, which had a gorgeous view of the ocean and the treetops. From our balcony we could watch the birds and butterflies and listen to the howler monkeys!

Besides the view, the restaurant there were fantastic, and the pool and grounds very beautiful and peaceful. We had dinner at the restaurant our first night - fresh local fish and we each got a complimentary cocktail! The Guaro Sour is delicious :)

Julio at the front desk set us up with a guided tour of Manuel Antonio. Our guide Dago was excellent! Very funny and also very interested in the wildlife and conservation. He was able to spot many animals we wouldn't have seen otherwise.

Villas Nicolas is a great location for visiting Manuel Antonio. While it is a long walk to the beach, for about 50 cents each there is a bus that goes to the beach/park, and the bus stop is right outside the hotel. The bus ride is probably only 8 minutes.

I would definitely go back there in a heartbeat!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kmz84
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 4, 2011

We made the unfortunate decision to stay here on our way back to San Jose from Uvita for the last night of our honeymoon. At the beginning, it seemed like this was a property with beautiful landscaping and beautiful views for a reasonable price. Because it does have all of those things I will give it a second star. The rest of the stars are deducted for the following reasons: 1. When we took the blinds down dust fell off of the blinds and onto our pillows, 2. There were cockroaches in the room, 3. There was something that looked like an old poop stain on my towel, 4. The girl at the front desk refused to give us a recommendation for anywhere other than the restaurant at the hotel for dinner, 5. There is literally no single way to make a phone call after 5pm here. The public phone was broken and literally I spoke to a security guy holding a cell phone in his hand begging him to help me find a phone that worked and he would not either call the manager (she doesn't take evening problems) or let me pay him to use his cell phone. 6. When we complained to the manager about the incidents she made excuse after excuse and did not offer a single apology. When we met the manager I think it explained the complete lack of professionalism and service culture here. She is not Tica and I think maybe that explains why this place was completely outside the realm of anything I have experienced in 15 years of traveling in Costa Rica. That said, if you do not care about service or cleanliness and just want a room with a patio and a view then you should think about coming here.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tschannen
slitherCR, General Manager at Villas Nicolas, responded to this review, August 18, 2011
When I spoke personally with this guest, the only complaint he had was the lack of telephone service after hours in his room. I am therefore surprised at the litany of complaints that are mentioned here.
They arrived on a "walk in " basis for 1 night in the evening prior to our reception closing. The receptionist answered their questions regarding places to eat and suggested our Rancho (which is leased and not run by Villas Nicolas). She also suggested they take a look at the Information book which is in all of our rooms and has over a dozen recommendations for alternate restaurants in the area.
We are a small condo hotel,not a resort, and do not have 24 hour reception service.Our reception closes at 8Pm. There is a sign posted advising this. These guests did not request that their phone line be opened for them during office hours so unfortunately when they tried to use it later in the evening it did not function. The restaurant staff informed me that they gave them directions to the public phones(5 MINUTE WALK) . The guests told me the following morning that these public phones did not work.
Had these guests requested during office hours that their line be opened they would have had phone service from their room. It was unfortunate that the public phones were not functioning ,but this was certainly beyond our control.
Golden, Colorado
Reviewed April 24, 2011

Their website says they may not be for everyone, but we cannot find a vault! The service has been terrific, the room is unbelievable, and the grounds are beautiful! We have a large private patio outside our small room with seating and a hammock and an unbelievable view across the forest to the beach below. The pool is a good sized and very clean. The hotel restaurant's food has been fantastic plus it is reasonably priced for the area. Overall, the best "beach resort" hotels we have ever stayed at!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floors