“Best place to stay in Manuel Antonio”
Review of Makanda by the Sea

Makanda by the Sea
Ranked #16 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed June 24, 2013

If you are looking for a private, clean, great service without visibility of the staffs. I would stay here again when I go back. And, I will recommend this place to anyone who has traveled in Manuel Antonio and haven't stay here before, you should try it.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank travelfei

Reviewed June 2, 2013

My wife and I just got back today from Makanda and it was amazing. The people were so friendly, especially Fabi, and the rooms were great. The views from the rooms and pool are some of the best in Costa Rica. They really create a feeling like you are part of Costa Rica at Makanda. I would recommend this place to anime staying in Manuel Antonio and I plan on staying here again when I go back.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 23, 2013

The hotel is located very conveniently to different restaurants and bars if you have at least a scooter. It's quite a walk and an uphill ride on a bicycle to town. Otherwise, everything you need is on the grounds: pool, in suite kitchenette, small restaurant, room service. It is gated and has access to a private beach, though the walk to the beach is down the hill about 400 meters. The staff is extremely helpful! Wish we were able to stay longer.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We were actually here in May, 2010, but have just booked our trip to return next month. I have not stayed anywhere else in Manuel Antonio, but when I find something I really like I prefer to stay with it so I can't make any comparisons. We stayed in Villa 10 and are staying there again. The room was beautiful, quiet with an amazing view. What is better than having breakfast on the terrace, overlooking the Pacific and watching groups of monkeys wander on by? The grounds are very well kept and the pool area was quiet and relaxing with a quaint little restaurant. Makanda keeps a no children under 12 rule so you only hear the screaming of the Howler Monkeys and not the the screaming of the abundant child monkey(nothing wrong with children, but its nice to have a break.)
Can't wait to get there!!!

Room Tip: I have only stayed in Villa 10, which is a Deluxe Villa and absolutely loved it. I can't commen...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 9, 2013

A little haven away from all the tourists of Manuel Antonio.
The suites are amazing and totally private. They are beautifully appointed and very clean.The balconies have a view of the Pacific to die for. To relax on a hammock looking at the sea is just a wonderful way to while away the time.
Beware if any walking problems that some of the room have a LOT of steps to them and if they are down from reception one has to climb up to the swimming pool and restaurant.
We had white headed capuchin monkeys in the trees right next to the balcony.

Room Tip: Remember the steps! I have problems with my knees and we had to change rooms when we arrived. We had...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2013

A wonderful, quiet retreat, hidden in the trees, surrounded by flowers and a sea view to die for. Each room has its own big balcony with a view, with relaxing hammock and cane chair set. Breakfast is served here. I was a bit sceptical about that to start with but it worked perfectly.
We had a huge bed and delightful big bathroom. We also had a little dining and kitchen area so i had tea in bed in the morning and we pulled back the floor to ceiling windows and took in the view. You are very high up so you can watch the passing of the boats and admire the antics of the monkeys who ar swinging around in the surrounding trees, at the same time.

The pool is also a delight and as this is an adults only venue it is quite quiet. Cocktails at 4pm and a dip after the sightseeing - perfect. Food is excellent here both for lunch and dinner. However you can walk up to the main road about 10 minutes and get to other nice restaurants.
The only thing we would not recommend is going to the park at the weekend and in high season. It is the main route to the beach and therefore packed with people.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paula T
Reviewed May 4, 2013

My husband and I had a great experience at Makanda by the Sea. The staff was friendly, and informative without being intrusive. The room was spacious, clean and we especially enjoyed the deck with the hammock/outdoor furniture. The grounds were always well kept and we enjoyed spotting animals such as monkeys and sloths in their natural habitat. The view and sunsets were amazing. Breakfast delivered to your suite each morning was most enjoyable too! If you're looking to disconnect, recharge and enjoy quiet time together this is the place to be!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple