The Makanda by the Sea is sited in the book Elegant Small Hotels listing the best small hotels around the world. That says a lot for this beautiful hotel set amongst tall trees and lush landscaping. We were greeted at the gate with a golf cart to take our luggage and ourselves to the reception desk where we were served a welcoming drink. The hotel consists of 11 villas some of which are attached but provide all the privacy and security you would want. Our villa had a large room with a built in sofa at the foot of the bed. There was also a view of the ocean from our terrace. The room even had a large vase of fresh flowers. There was also a small kitchenette with a refrigerator so we could store cold drinks, coffee maker, 2 electric cooktops, sink and dinnerware if you wanted to prepare something. The bathroom had a huge shower. The swimming pool had an infinity edge making photography especially inviting. It was relaxing to sit by the pool and occasionally dip in. The tree surrounding the pool had a sloth in it the day we arrived. The eating area is located at the edge of the pool. Service is exceptional with the waiter explaining the various items in detail and making suggestions. The shredded pork sandwich is huge and the salads are great. There are several other good restaurants in nearby hotels as well but i would recommend taking a cab since the hill is narrow, steep and curvy with autos speeding up and down. You can take a 15 minute walk through the woods down the hill to the beach which we did once but the hotels pool was just fine for relaxing.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Makanda By the Sea is 12 acres of wildlife sanctuary, 100 meters above the ocean. Our fully equipped Villas and Studios are carefully placed in rainforest gardens with spectacular views of the sixty mile coastline. Hotel Makanda is the ideal location for guests wishing to experience “romance in nature”, dazzling sunset views and our personalized boutique hotel ambiance. Offering gourmet cuisine, first class service, and close to Manuel Antonio Park, Spas, Restaurants, Tours and Beaches. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Priceline and Cancelon so you can book your Makanda by the Sea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Makanda By The Sea Hotel Manuel Antonio National Park
- Makanda By The Sea Costa Rica/Manuel Antonio