Just returned from a really delightful stay at the Makanda hotel. It's a tiny hotel, with just 12 rooms/villas, but feels spacious and has all the services you could need of a larger hotel. You can not find a more beautiful natural setting- lush jungle around the property with incredible ocean views from the pool and all the rooms.
We stayed in Villa 1- highly recommended- spacious, nicely appointed, well decorated, giant wall of glass overlooking the ocean with large floor to ceiling glass doors that slide open so that you're just wide open to the forest. Large king sized bed, large kitchen.
They bring you breakfast to your room each day at a time of your choice- it's amazing sitting at your table looking out over the green rainforest and the ocean and watching colorful birds and butterflies go by, hearing the ocean waves. One morning a large group of monkeys went right by the windows.
There is a small beach down quite a steep hill, but it's much quieter and more relaxed than the crowded beaches in Manuel Antonio park. Great for swimming and relaxing.
The reception staff were super friendly and helpful, from helping us book a flight to calling us taxis, to giving us tips on where to eat.
The pool area was beautiful and never too crowded. There is a nice restaurant by the pool (and you can order frozen cocktails and your lunch for example without ever leaving your pool chair if you prefer). We had dinner there one night and it was quite good.
Overall, loved it and would go back again any time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Makanda By the Sea is 12 acres of wildlife sanctuary, 100 meters above the ocean. Our fully equipped Villas and Studios are carefully placed in rainforest gardens with spectacular views of the sixty mile coastline. Hotel Makanda is the ideal location for guests wishing to experience “romance in nature”, dazzling sunset views and our personalized boutique hotel ambiance. Offering gourmet cuisine, first class service, and close to Manuel Antonio Park, Spas, Restaurants, Tours and Beaches. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Cancelon, Agoda and TripOnline SA so you can book your Makanda by the Sea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Makanda By The Sea Hotel Manuel Antonio National Park
- Makanda By The Sea Costa Rica/Manuel Antonio