WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“you get what you pay for” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cabinas Piscis

Cabinas Piscis
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Manuel Antonio National Park
Cabinas Piscis
Portsmouth, Virginia
“you get what you pay for”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2011

We stayed two nights in August 2010. Selected these cabinas on advice of a Tico friend when we were looking for last minute rooms for a spur of the moment two night trip to Manuel Antonio. Called ahead before leaving the Central Valley to inquire about room availability---they had a room to sleep 4 at $50 a night---we asked them to hold it for us. We arrived in the afternoon, checked into the room, lower left in the 4 unit, two floor building. 4 twin beds, 2 busted up but working fans, a rusty refrig that cooled by needed a bent coat hanger to keep door closed, and termite eaten trim work on the baño door---yep, pretty run down.
Changed and walked down the short path to the beach---the location is excellent, very close to beach and an easy walk to MA Park.
After a swim and some comidas we came back, showered---warm--and hung out.
Guests included a 3 generation Tico family, a German couple on a bike tour, and a few surfers.
The on premises soda served bottomless cups of coffee and a reasonably priced desayuno delicioso!
We sat out in front of the room in the tipico Tico rebar rocking chairs enjoying some cervesas, the nature and the neighbors.
I'd say Piscis is exactly what we expected, a typical Tico cabina at the beach.
We paid cash--did not offer any credit card info, so we didn't suffer that---and received our money's worth, a cheap sleep in a very good location.
Would I stay here again? Probably. Do I recommend this place? Absolutely, if you're looking for a unique taste of the "real Costa Rica" this will add a memorable experience to your visit. Just understand that you'll get what you pay for, a clean but run down room, steps from the beach.

Room Tip: best room?
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank ed4_vida_rica

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Munich, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2010

I made a reservation in advance for the casita. The owner Viviana charged 3 nights in advance to my credit card, although the credit card authorization form I had to fill in was just meant as a security in case of non-arrival. We arrived and the casita was in such a bad shape (dark, dirty, smelly from mildew and definitely not worth 65$ a night) that we left right away. It was so disgusting that we didn't even want to stay for one night. The receptionist didn't talk any English but promised me that we would only have to pay for one night and the two other nights would be charged back to my bank account. This never happened - even after reminding Viviana severel times. So I had to recall the money via my bank. Definitely cannot recommend to anyone staying at this place!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kastellina

Travelers are raving about these Manuel Antonio National Park hotels

Salt Lake City
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2010

We made a reservation and they charged our credit card which we didn't know (lost $280) when we showed up they told us that we don't have any reservation and receptionist didn't speak English, so we paid cash. We tried to contact them no response. It seems to us that they are doing that on purpose since we are not the only ones. We got the worse cabinas, no windows the cover was ripped off. They said that there would be hot water but was only cold. We have two small kids and I don't recommend this. We were highly dissatisfied.

Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank janethesun
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2010

Our stay at the cabanas was great initially, the room was clean and right by the beach, nothing fancy just a bed and a shower with hot water in a little cabin with a screened porch. We saw monkeys and iguanas from the porch within minutes! The place is a little run down but it was quite and close to the beach and national park and cheap for MA! We payed in cash when we left - none of the staff members spoke English. When I returned home I saw that my credit card had been charged for $100 from somewhere called cabinas y restaurant in Aquiles (which is the county of MA) this was the only place we stayed on the Pacific Coast and I did give them my credit card # to reserve the room. All attempts to contact them about this failed- they never returned my emails etc... So be warned don't give them your credit card#. Just show up.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank asim11
Central US
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2007

Nothing special about this little place. I gave it 4 stars because of it's low rates and proximity to the beach. It is hard to find - on the right side of the road just before reaching Manuel Antonio beach. There is no pool or special amenities. Room was typical for a cabinas - no TV or air conditioning - just a simple room, clean bed and shower. After a 30 second walk on a trail through thick jungle, the view opened up to M.A. beach - very beautiful! A good value for a budget minded traveler who doesn't want to pay for all the extra amenities. I used the money I saved to have some great meals at nearby restaraunts.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — no amenities
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled with friends