“Good memories”
Review of Hotel California

Hotel California
Ranked #30 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Some difficulty finding this hotel as road in is up a narrow gravel road. Beautiful setting with great view of the Pacific. Staff very friendly and helpful. Loved the pool and the outdoor restaurant. Food was great. Easy to book tours from the staff. Good value. Great area. Wonderful weather.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
AlonsoCalifornia, Manager at Hotel California, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review.
It’s very important for all of us who works at the Hotel.
For future guest, We are located left hand side just passing Hotel Mimos and Mono Azul property, on the way in to Manuel Antonio National Park from Quepos, 300 metres from the main road on gravel road, not easy to walk at night, we do agree on that and we are doing our best to light up this road. Thank you for your feedback.
We are especially happy about all the great things you said about our staff, and facilities.
Look forward to having you here again.

Alonso Madrigal

There are newer reviews for Hotel California

Reviewed February 8, 2014

A friend and I stayed here for four days over New Years and we had a wonderful time. The staff were warm, welcoming and very helpful. They booked 2 outings for us. One of those was a walk through Manuel Antonio with Edgar who works at the front desk but who also leads guided walks. He was a wonderful guide!

The hotel was clean and comfortable. The food was excellent. We sampled many things on the menu and everything was delicious. I highly recommend the mosquito and fresh blended pineapple pina colada's. In the evenings from the bar you can see monkeys come through the trees, iguanas and toucan's live on the grounds. It was a wonderful stay and will stay here again upon my return to Manuel Antonio.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Hi JenSpen128
Thank you very much for the wonderful review !!
Thanks again for the kind words about Edgar and his guided tour in Manuel Antonio National Park
Glad you mentioned our special mogitos and fresh blended pineapple.....nothing better than see monkeys, iguanas and other wildlife from the restaurant of the Hotel.
Thanks again for posting the review and we hope to see you back again soon!
Alonso Madrigal

Reviewed February 5, 2014

I actually saw more wildlife sititng by the pool at the hotel than I did in the park! The location of the hotel cannot be beaten. The staff, most importantly Gilberto who works at the bar, was more than welcoming. He became a friend of my family and me and significantly improved the quality of our time there. He was always in a great mood and happy to see every guest. If you stay at the hotel, you will certainly get to know him as well as he is as friendly as can be.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 5, 2014

You had to drive up this narrow road to get to it. We could hear and see the monkeys. Little restaurant which overlooked the jungle. The pool was good sized. They had balls you could play with. The rooms were not to big.

Room Tip: All the room are towards the jungle and are balconies. In the morning you can go to the balcony and...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I stayed in two places in Costa Rica, hotel California being my first. The staff treat you like a king and are more then happy to help.. Edgar and Eric were the best, they even remember emailing me before I got there! Of course I didn't know much about the area but they were VERY HAPPY to call any excursions or taxi i needed. Always happy to give advice and honest opinion on how to make the most of your stay . They Seriously they take pride in being a great hotel and an amazing staff, the view was incredible and the breakfast was great too, it's not a traditional buffet but you tell the cook exactly how you want your food cooked(egg ect) and they make it in front of you. Served with fresh squeezed juice. Happy hour was fun too! I wish I had stayed there for my entire trip because the other hotel I stayed at (hotel posiden in jaco) couldn't even compare! When I return to Costa Rica I will be def be staying there again

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed January 25, 2014

The grounds and rooms were very well kept and clean. After a wind and rain storm the grounds were almost already cleaned by the time I woke up. The food was great and the view from the room was fabulous. I must warn you though, if you choose to get your laundry done there, make sure you understand the way they charge you....by the piece. I paid over $30 US for just a few pieces.

Room Tip: Upper floors, ask for a room with a view. I forget which side.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Stayed here in Dec 2013 as part of our G Adventures tour. Food, though expensive, was very tasty. Superb views over the bay of Quepos and the wildlife viewing at times surpassed what we saw in the national park. But best of all were Gilberto's cocktails. I have tasted mojitos in lots of places around the world but have never before had one as delicious as his. We tried quite a few of his other cocktails too, and while some of the others were also particularly good, the mojito was, for me, the most outstanding. Just a shame we were only there 2 nights!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends