“Don't be fooled”

Hotel Mimos
Denver, Colorado
“Don't be fooled”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2012

After reading the other reviews for Hotel Mimos, I'm wondering if this is the same hotel we stayed in Manuel Antonio. Hotel Mimos was a huge disappointment and after 2 days, we ended up transferring to another hotel up the road. The building we were in was extremely outdated, dark and dingy. The room was right on the main road with lots of traffic. When you walked into the room there was an overwhelming musty odor and it didn't help that our air conditioner did not work. The staff was pleasant enough but never actually help correct any of the problems. We asked several times to be moved to a new room but they just kept telling us they didn't have anything available even though the newer rooms were obviously empty. We had prepaid a ridiculous amount of money for such a room and they refused to give us any refund. We ended up leaving and forfitting our payment to stay at a much much nicer hotel - for the same price as Mimos.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
MimosinMA, Owner at Hotel Mimos, responded to this review, February 9, 2012
This review ashamed product of a threat. If so this guest came in the middle of Christmas week and New Year through her travel agent. The claim I made to her travel agent which notifies to her that the hotel is full and there is no possibility of refund attributable to well know political high season. Unable to get away with it She threatens to make the hotel a bad review does not receive their money back knowing is nothing wrong with the hotel Hotel Management notifies to her that everything about refund is with the her travel agency not to Hotel. Anyone can read other reviews where Mimos hotel makes changes and upgrades whenever possible. By having a variety of rooms in three different buildings. I hope that this aberration is revealed where the anger of a person using this medium lies to get away with making fool of all us.
Best Regards ,
Mimos Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Indian Rocks Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2011

This is a family owned and operated hotel. The family is very friendly and take pride in their work. I was upgraded to a very roomy suite with a balcony overlooking the rest of the hotel which is etched into the side of a mountain. Be prepared to do some hiking as there is no phone in the rooms and if you need anything you must walk down steep steps to the front desk then back up again. My room was very clean but had a constant odor of the septic tank. I would have left the windows open but there are no screens on the windows to keep creatures out. Do not be fooled by their website, there is no view of the ocean anywhere from the hotel. As far as booking any tours I would do that through the people on the streets in Manuel Antonio. I don't think the staff has as much knowledge or experience with the actual tour as they should have. Overall I would recommend this hotel purely on the fact that the family is so nice and it is centrally located between Quepos and Manuel Antonio Beach

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the front desk if you don't want to hike up to your room.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank lizqueenbee
Matthews, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2011

We recently came back from Costa Rica and this hotel was one of our favorites. The staff (especially Arturo) was great, they opened rooms early, helped us plan tours and guided us on places to eat. The bus stop is located just up the street so an easy ride to Quepos or the beaches at Manual Antonio. The room was large and the beds comfortable. The only downfall was the the pool and hot tub are not heated, but that didn't stop us from swimming.

Breakfast was good at the on site restaurant, but the service was a little slow - we almost missed our pickup (it took 45 minutes to get eggs and toast for 5 people).

I would recommend this hotel and would stay there again.

Room Tip: Get are junior suite - the beds were large and there were plenty of beds
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Indio, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2011

My wife and I decided to get married for a second time in Quepos, Costa Rica. We needed a place for the bride and groom parties to get ready. The staff at Mimos was very accommodating and the wedding went off without a hitch. The rooms at Mimos have all been remodeled and are very nice. The pools at Mimos are my favorite part. The pools can feel very private and are a great place to dip in after a day at the beach. The restaurant at Mimos is exceptional. There are no bad items on the menu. I suggest the fresh fruit juices. All and all an amazing stay at Mimos that I would recommend to anyone. I know I will be staying there again when I return to Costa Rica. PURA VIDA!!!

Room Tip: The upper floors have amazing views and access to a private pool
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2011

Located a few miles up the road from the pristine Manuel Antonio National Park, Mimos offers luxurious accomodations at a budget price. Friendly, knowledgable owners treat you like family members and are full of great recommendations for local restaurants and day trips. Breakfast is served in the open air restaurant each morning. If you're lucky, you'll see a troop of rare squirrel monkeys on the move.

Room Tip: Spring for the penthouse. You won't regret it.
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Atlanta Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2011

Having spent time at Hotel Mimos last year, I could not wait to make a return trip. My son and daughter-in-law joined me this year making the 10 day visit even more memorable than last year. From day one we were treated like "returning family by the entire staff at Mimios. Our rooms (two bedroom suite) were fantastic, with a large balcony to enjoy the surrounding gardens, sip coffee in the morning, and watch the iguanas that came on a daily basis to sun themselves,. Loved having the refrigerator and coffee maker in the room, and contrary to other posts, the air-conditioning worked just fine! The food at Mama Mia's was wonderful from breakfast through dinner with large servings and very reasonably priced. My son and daughter-in-law went fishing on Sunday and brought their catch back to the hotel, where the cook prepared it for them for dinner, what a treat! Petra, Giancarlo & Rebecca, Oscar, Lilianna, Fabian, and all the rest, thank you, thank you, thank you for welcoming me back with such open arms, and making my son and his wife feel like part of the family too. You are absolutely five stars in my book, and I can't wait to make a return trip.

• Stayed May 2011
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2011

A nice hotel just near Manuel Antonio. Cozy rooms and brilliant service is what you can expect if you decide to visit this place. But be sure that whatever happens the staff of the hotel will be there to help you! So if you are planning to spend time somewhere around Quepas or Manuel Antonio this hotel is the place to be and you get wonderful value for your money and very caring attitude which is priceless! Using this opportunity I want to say thank you Petra, Rebecca and Giancarlo!!! And for all the people planning to visit this beautiful country: Do not loose your grip!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple