“Beautiful hotel, wonderful atmosphere”
Review of Hotel La Colina

Hotel La Colina
Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
“Beautiful hotel, wonderful atmosphere”
Reviewed July 12, 2009

I stayed here with my boyfriend in July of 2009 and when i left I felt like i made close friends for life. The hotel is only a 5 minute taxi ride from either Quepos or Manuel antonio beach and it's a 50 cent bus ride to either. At the reception Lorena is really sweet and friendly and very accomodating! We stayed in a jungle view room which had a double bed, a tv and a private bathroom with a/c. It was steps away from the pool with a swim up bar! The bartender John is from Canada and he makes great drinks and we instantly bonded with him. Michael the owner is a chef from virginia who's kitchen was incredible. Best guacamole (made to order), ceviche and fresh fish i have ever had. He's also extremely laid back and friendly and we hung out with him every night. He even let us have a bbq for the fourth of july! We stayed there for 5 nights and never went out once in town at night--we loved the hotel so much we ate and drank there every night! We will DEFINITELY be back next year! Plus there is free internet and as many beach towels as you want.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pilar813

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
East Lansing, MI
Reviewed June 17, 2009

We drove by this hotel and asked for the availability. It looked like a fun hotel to stay and the hotel had a swimming pool.

The first room we saw was the one at the lower level. I felt really sad when I saw the room - I could stay if I had no choice, but I preferred not to. Maybe the owner felt me being reluctant staying in that room. He showed me the other rooms at upper levels. We had a choice between one extra bed, or a upright piano. Both rooms had ocean views, and we decided on the room with a piano (it was not tuned :) )

The view from the room was beautiful and although the piano was out of tune, it was fun to play some pieces in the room. This is not a luxurious hotel, but the room was clean, and the bathroom was better than the ones we saw at the lower level.

The hotel also offered free breakfast: Gallo Pinto, French toast, etc. It was not bad - but the waitress did not appear to be very attentive. She could do better.

The pool was a good addition to the hotel because it was really hot during the day. Also after a long drive, we needed to refresh ourselves. It is not a big pool, but it was decent.

It was a good place to stay, but I may look around a bit more, when I come next time. However, for the price we paid, I think it was great.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lovebossa
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed June 4, 2009

First time in Costa Rica and my boyfriend and I found this place very charming and unpretentious. The hotel is owned by two brothers from San Francisco so they know how to satisfy Americans expectations without losing the Costa Rican tropical feel. The staff is extremely friendly. Good complimentary breakfast and the swim up bar makes for a great relaxing evening with hotel visitors if you don't want to go out. Manuel Antonio is not commercialized so you'll need to take a cab to the local restaurants and beaches but they are close by. You can walk but I wouldn't advise that with the narrow, winding roads and lack of sidewalks.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Houston
Reviewed May 27, 2009

We went to Costa Rica in late May in the rainy season and still had a blast. The mornings were sunny and hot and it would rain on occasion in the afternoon. We stayed at La Colina for 4 nights and got one free. The free breakfast is good you can choose from costa rican eggs, rice, beans, and toast or have pancakes, cereal, french toast all with juice and coffee. We only ate there once for dinner because we were out exploring and it was a bit pricey, but delicious. We stayed in the cheapest room, which was very small and basic. The hotel only gives you two towels so I would recommend you bring some beach towels or mats and a blow dryer to dry some wet clothes. The hotel is about 30 minutes walking distance and 5-7 minute car ride from the two free beaches and Manuel Antonio park. My boyfriend and I went to Costa Rica on a budget for an adventure and had a blast. For budget travelers we recommend you rent a car and drive here and to Volcano Arenal, eat in the local town restaurants for about $15 for two instead of the tourist places because our bills would come out to $40-50 for dinner. Every place includes a 13% tax and 10% service fee so keep that in mind. Bring a waterproof camera or case because it rains spontanousely so you don't want to get your camera wet. The tours we did were Canopy, white water rafting, snorkeling, kayaking, hot spings in volcano arenal, which were a little pricey, but awesome and most came with free lunch. Make sure you check out the free private beach for cheap tour prices. You will see all types of animals, which is amazing. We did not go out much after dinner because we would wake about 7 am to do tours all day, but alot of people recommended Bambay Jam. Ladies wear comfortable cute swimsuit clothes because its really hot and Costa Rica is not a place to be flashy because it is super casual.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Utah
Reviewed May 24, 2009

I recently returned from visiting Manuel Antonio which is probably the most beautiful place I have ever seen. We stayed at La Colina for 6 nights and were very pleased with the service we received. Those at the front desk, Rodrigo and Lorena, were both very friendly and helpful. The breakfasts that are included are good--a few of the choices are rather small, but delicious, as well as the dinner menu. A couple of us stayed in a Jungle View room which was clean and did have a lovely view. My only complaint is that the bathroom was very small (as well as the entire room, although I somewhat expected that). The married couple in our group stayed in an Ocean View Suite which was very nice and spacious with vaulted ceiling and a beautiful view from the balcony. The whole atmosphere is so lovely and you really feel like you are in the midst of a rain forest. We saw a few white-faced capuchin monkeys, iguanas, and even a 3-toed sloth all right there on the grounds of the hotel!! One of the few downsides is that it is a ways out to the main beach, but not a huge deal--there are public buses that cost less than 50 cents or taxis available. Overall, I would definately recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a great deal and beautiful atmosphere. I would recommend getting an Ocean View Suite if you will be spending much time in the hotel--especially for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Aylmer
Reviewed May 21, 2009

It's been my second time going to Manuel Antonio, I love it, last year I was at la Mariposa nice hotel very expensive, but this year I went on budget and La colina it's awesome the staff are very friendly and helpful, I had great conversation with them especially Lorena
she's always smiling and making people happy same for Crystal, and Jon from Toronto that work at the bar makes some great drinks. If you looking for a great location, not to expensive and very friendly this is the place I recommend it. Can't wait to go back again!!

Pura Vida!!!!!!!!!!!

Harley

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
Brooklyn
Reviewed May 5, 2009

We really enjoyed our stay at La Colina. We definitely recommend the upper Ocean view rooms, which as other people have mentioned, do take some stair climbing to access (it's not a big deal if you're in average shape). This property is more rustic than polished, but totally pleasant and comfortable and of good value - and a diversion from the other more touristy resort style hotels. There is a swim up bar and the drinks are delicious and cheap!!!! I also need to mention that the chips and guacamole are made fresh - and were so delicious. It's a bit of a sleepy place - which is really nice. We had a car which was crucial to getting to the beach, as it's not that close to the beach. We felt very relaxed here and slept very well, but were still up every morning at 7am to enjoy the breakfast.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple