“Unit was left unlocked by the maids and Alcohol stolen no King bed”

Hotel Villas El Parque
Ranked #42 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Reviewed March 16, 2014

We had a one bedroom on the ground floor. 7b I think. You could see the ocean barely. The pool area is confining. It is surrounded by a tall fence and you have no view. The property is old. The interior of our unit had been re done and was nice enough inside. Parking can be problematic if you have a car. The unit had AC and it worked great. They also have dehumidifiers in the units and that really helps. They have cable tv, most is Spanish and many channels are not very clear. The bed was not a king as we were told, it was a queen but it was not rock hard.

The villas are located about in the middle between Quepos and the beach. There is a bus stop very close. A supermarket and ATM machine is right next door and a pretty good restaurant above the units.

The price is reasonable for this area.

We actually tipped the maids and one day they left the door to our place unlocked. We also noticed that about 1/2 a bottle of rum had been consumed by someone other than us. It was brought to managements attention which did nothing. I also noticed that the window was left unlocked.

The pool is in need of some attention. It looks old because it is.

They do offer a $5.00 breakfast at the pool except on Sunday or maybe they just didn't open the Sunday we were there. The food is fine. The menu shows two eggs but you only got one.

We found this place in somewhat of a rush as we had intended to stay in Parrita but we did not care for that area. We would not come back. I am certain there are better places for similar money in the area it is just hard to find online with crappy internet that plagues the area.

There is wireless but it was bad. I don't believe they understand that 70 people cannot share the same basic internet connection especially with people trying to skype and upload pictures etc. Forget using in the evenings.

Other than Mgmt not doing much about the theft of our liquor and the door being open there were very helpful. They were always happy to answer our many questions and booked our tour at the Park in Manuel Antonio.

Room Tip: King beds are hard to find for some reason. If they say king make sure you confirm it. It could be...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

We traveled to Manuel Antonio and stayed here for the week. It's definitely not the best place to stay, but for the price it's decent. The view from our villa was great! The location is good, near lots of restaurants and super markets and also a bank right next door. Lots of stair climbing if your in one of the upper villas, so keep that in mind if you have problems with climbing stairs. The AC in our unit just barely kept up and was not the coolest. The linen on the bed was old and so was the mattress. We woke up with all the bed linen undone from the bed. There was a problem with our toilet flushing and reported it to the front desk the 2nd day we were there and they said they'd fix it ASAP and it still wasn't fixed by the time we left 6 days later. Lots of bugs also due to the cracks in the building. As I said , it's ok for the price, but if your willing to spend $200+ a night there are much better places that offer more.

Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed February 6, 2014

This was our first time to costa rica and we were quite nervous.. After many phone calls and e mail exchanges we decided to book for 10 days.. all the help and advice from the owners really helped our decision and the extra bonus that there manager spoke english..let me start by saying the view from villa #15 is so wonderful. We were so happy with everything. the kitchen, the new air conditioner, the new stove, new mattresses (the owner informed us of this.. very true) The house keeper does not speak English but washed our dishes and made us feel at home.Fresh beach towels every day! She was a sweetie. The pool and tub were quiet and peaceful.. We were a bit skeptical about the noise we read about in the reviews from Byblos the casino but we found out that they are no longer having loud music.. which we were so happy to listen to the waves at night.. the beach, dinning and shopping is so close..We walked to the beach every day and swam in the warm waters! We cant wait to come back next year!! Love this villa and the owners are from michigan they are so accommodating as well as David the manager who lives in Costa Rica!!. Oh and I forgot to mention the amazing hammock that my husband and I argued over to look at the monkeys and the ocean! best deal ever!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank steve m
Reviewed February 4, 2014

We rented the larger villa of unit 18; we did so thinking that its view was as shown in the picture on the hotel website. It was not!!!
After doing my research, I found out that If you want a nice view of the Ocean at villas el parque, you have to stay in the UPPER villas: 5,8,11,13,15 or 17. I asked around and found out that out of these 6 UPPER villas, only 3 (villas 5,11 and 13) are available to rent through the hotel. I was told that the other 3 UPPER VILLAS (8, 15 and 17) were rented privalely by the owners.
So, ask to stay in villas 5, 11, and 13 instead of villa 18. The price is the same as villa 18, but you get so much more for your money, which is essentially the amazing view and the convenience of being closer to the main road and the parking area.
Villa 18, like almost all the villas at villas el parque, has two levels located one on top of the other. Even the upper level of villa 18 has absolutely no good view of the Ocean.
Overall, the location of the complex (not villa 18) is great. The on-site restaurant is also great. There is a pool and a spa next door which were nice. Banks and other nice restaurants are close-by. The employees of the hotel are happy and very helpful.
I gave this place an average rating for several reasons: First, because I thought I was getting a room with a nice view of the Ocean, and I did not. I could have gotten a much nicer villa, with a great view, for the same price. Second, I also gave this villa an average rating because we thought the mattresses seemed a bit old. Third, villa 18 is closer to the bottom level, which could be noisy, dangerous, and annoying. For instance, when it comes time to exit the premises and go out for dinner or to the beach, if you stay in villa 18, you have to climb a commonly used road, with some traffic; which was not very safe and it was huge nuisance.
Thank you very much for reading. I hope to return to this place so long as I stay in one of the upper villas.

Room Tip: if you want a nice Ocean view, stay in rooms 5,11 or 13
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank MELane916
Roger R, Owner at Hotel Villas El Parque, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

When I first read this review I immediately called our Manager and asked what happened to my ocean view. He assured me that it was the same as always. For the record, I have posted a photo taken by me in December of 2013 from the balcony of Unit #18 in the Trip Adviser photo section. By any standard, it is very nice ocean view.
Our web site describes the ocean view from the balcony of Unit #18 as fantastic. A claim I do not think is an exaggeration. Ocean views from the upper units are described as panoramic.
Contrary to what the reviewer stated, upper units are more expensive than lower units.
As an owner and part of management of the Hotel, we expend a tremendous amount of effort and money to make sure each guest has the most positive experience possible while staying at Hotel Villas el Parque. Please view the picture and decide for yourself about the view.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

We rented the entire Villa #15 and had a great time! The space was so functional - the kitchen was a great gathering space, and those huge patios with such amazing views made for a great breakfast/coffee and cocktail hour spot! The people were incredibly friendly, the restaurants in the area were fantastic. And it felt so private. We will definitely go back!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed in Villas el parque for 5 nights. Generally, very good. We had great ocean view, a nice and large open living room. The bed room and bath rooms are good and clean.

However, the noise from neighbouring hotel Byblos is truly the most horrible experience we had in CR.

the 1st night disco music was till after mid night till i called hotel mgr who called the police to stop them. Then the braindead music just went on every night (only not on Wed). This music level can wake up everyone on this hillside. If you cannot sleep, should call the hotel mgr or the police.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Roger R, Manager at Hotel Villas El Parque, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

The reviewer is correct. The noise from Byblos Casino was, at times, awful. Fortunately, several Hotels near Byblos complained to the Ministry of Health about noise pollution. The Ministry of Health told Byblos to close down the disco and the space is now converted to gambling tables and a bar. I just returned from 10 days at Villas el Parque and did not hear a peep from Byblos.
Come check us out!

Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stayed here in late May for the first few nights of my 2 1/2 weeks in Costa Rica. Someone else had made the arrangements and other members of the groups were in different rooms around the complex. My experience was the least pleasant. I actually liked the room--on a lower level near the pool. It had a fabulous view from the balcony. The complex spilled down a hillside and was full of steep steps and dark corners. Rather charming, actually. But. The door from the balcony to the outside stairs locked, which was a good thing as the door to the room from the balcony had a completely inadequate lock--in the morning, I found the door open several inches! As I was on a lower level, just above the walkway, this made me a bit nervous. Aside from that, the room was nice and the balcony was delightful. I thought the kitchenette on the balcony was a great idea. After arriving, the young man from the office carried the bags down many steps to the room. No one mentioned that the railings outside the room had just been painted and I got dark red paint on my clothes and on the sole of my shoe which I tracked into the room and back out again. I met up with my friends for dinner and when I got back to my room I was exhausted. I pulled back the covers on the bed to discover that the sheets were dirty. Lots of long dark hairs in the bed and on the pillows. Ick. But, by this time (not yet 10pm) the office was closed and there was no one to talk to about it. The next morning, I stopped in the office to discuss it with another nice young man. When I returned at 5pm--no change. Luckily the office was still open. They told me that they had only recently started renting my room and they only had one key. Hmmm. . . Did no one think this might be a problem? But, he called the maid and she came back to the hotel to clean my room. I felt bad for her, but I was pleased to have clean sheets. After that, I left my key at the desk during the day so they could let in the cleaners. But, it really put me off this hotel. I didn't expect luxury here, but I did expect clean sheets.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business