“Convenience in Quepos/Manuel Antonio”
Review of Hotel Verde Mar

Hotel Verde Mar
Ranked #27 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Reviewed March 11, 2009

I recommend staying at Hotel Verde Mar in Quepos. I think this is the only hotel with beach access. The road from downtown Quepos to Quepos and then Manual Antonio is very twisty with little to no place for walking. You have to take the bus or a taxi to get to most places. Hotel Verde Mar though has beach access so you can go to the beach without transportation and you are close enough to walk to "town" and the Manual Antonio park. The hotel is clean and the front desk is very knowledgeable and helpful if you want to book some tours.

Reviewed February 25, 2009

My boyfriend and I just returned from a trip to Costa Rica and began our vacation at this hotel for 4 nights. We had a fantastic time. The location can not be beat! It is steps from the beach and just a couple of minutes walk from the entrance to the park as well as restuarants and shops in town. The rooms were clean and we even had a little kitchen area so we could save money eating breakfast in the room each morning.
The staff was very helpful in meeting any needs we had. Easy to get taxi to go to Quepos or other areas. Make sure you ask price first because if you dont they will overcharge you.
I would recommend eating at El Avion (very cool arirplane restaurant), Marlin, just couple mins walk from hotel, Cantina (great BBQ food), and there is a fabulous restaurant across from Marlin which had terrific food for dinner and also a bar. Also Agua Azul is a great little place with an amazing view. Go there in the afternoon to watch the sunset or for lunch.
At times the beach in front of the hotel was rough but you can go to the beaches inside the park which are really nice and also calm plus all the monkeys play right on the beach which is soo much fun to watch.
I would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2009

This hotel was recommended to us by friends, and they were right. We stayed here for a week in February 2009. The hotel has the best location of all the area hotels, being literally right on the beach. We could walk out to the beach in the mornings right from our rooms with our coffees in hand. The rooms are fairly basic but quite adequate and very clean as well as being nicely air conditioned (you'll be thankful for that!). The surroundings are beautiful, with the jungle being literally right off our balcony, and yet bugs were never a problem. Our stay was made especially enjoyable by very friendly and accommodating hotel staff. There's no restaurant in the hotel, but there is no shortage of great restaurants in close proximity.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed January 26, 2009

The first year I came to Costa Rica was Nov. 1999. I come to Costa Rica every year ( sometimes twice a year ) to go fishing. The third year, the hotel I used was full and recommended the Hotel Vrede Mar. I have been staying here ever since and would not think of going anyplace else. I am really surprised and saddened to see some of the negative reviews. The owner and staff go out of there way and cannot do enough to accommodate you. This is by no means a 5 star luxury resort and doesn't claim to be BUT, in my opinion, for the price you pay, the rooms and bathrooms are clean and efficient, the kitchenette is an added bonus well stocked and great to have if you don't want to go out every night, the air conditioning works great, pool is always clean and clear,the location to the beach of Manuel Antonia is only a few steps away and the overall setting is peaceful and completely relaxing. ( except when the monkeys come around and put on their show) As for musty smells and little bugs running around, let's face it. This is a TROPICAL climate. The slight odor, if any, that I've encountered here is the same as any other room I've stayed in whether it was here or Cabo, Mexico or the Bahamas. I've been there during the so called construction which is usually a few workers doing routine maintenance or possibly making some minor improvements and in no way did it interfere with anything going on. The last and most important issue is the reference to prostitution activity. Our fishing day usually ends around 3:00pm and we are back at the hotel around 3:30. Our routine is, hang at the beach and watch the sunset, back to the room, shower, few cocktails, then out to eat or make something in the room. With all the time we spend in and around the hotel and at the front desk using their phone for local calls and/or phonecard calls, I have NEVER EVER seen any such actions in or around this hotel. This is not to say that it never happened, but if it did, I am absolutely certain that it had nothing to do with the Verde Mar.
<%)))><

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 23, 2009

My two friends and I stayed at Hotel Verde Mar for 3 nights, which wasn't long enough! It was the best part of my trip to Costa Rica. The employees were extremely friendly and helpful. I really liked the location and how you could walk right out to the ocean :) The rooms were very nice and clean. I would go back in a heartbeat!!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed January 22, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for 4 days. The personnel was very nice and gave us very good informations.
The hotel is about 10 minutes walk to Manuel Antonio National Park, and 5 or 6 restaurants.
The room was nice and clean and from the balcony we could see the ocean.

Monique et Gill Finnerty
Montréal Canada

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 13, 2009

My husband and I recently stayed here and we were very pleased with our stay. The location is excellent, as many people have mentioned. Being able to walk right onto the beach and to the park was a plus for us. The room was clean, with a very hot shower and nice kitchen (we actually cooked dinner in the room one night). We would definitely stay here again in the future.

Stayed: January 2009