“Great place to stay on the beach!”
Review of Hotel Verde Mar

Hotel Verde Mar
Ranked #27 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I am late with this review (was here Nov 2011). This was a great place to stay at the beach in Manuel Antonio. The staff was beyond helpful and friendly, and they even had a chef to prepare food right at the front desk (not sure if this is still true). Beach access was convenient, the rooms were clean and air conditioned, and the pool was very nice.

I would definitely stay here again next time we are in Costa Rica.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gettysburg11s

Reviewed October 7, 2013

My partner and I stayed at Verde Mar for 3 nights at the beginning of September. We chose it because we were travelling by public transport and wanted to be on the beach. We were not disappointed. It is literally a few steps from the beach and right near Balu's beach bar. It's also within walking distance of Manuel Antonio "center" (very small) where you can walk to for a meal or to the small supermarket. Really easy to get to by public bus. Ana looked after us very well and even pointed out the sloth that was sleeping under the roof when we arrived. We were in a room on the ground floor with 1 bed and kitchen. It was perfect for us although I think the rooms on the first floor are nicer because you can sit out on the balcony and you don't have people walking past the room as much. The room was clean and comfortable and having a fridge and stove was great. I wish we had used them more. My only complaint would be that the air con wasn't very effective. All the same, I loved the pool and we had good breakfasts at the restaurant. Overall, it was unbeatable for the price. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: 1st floor. I'm not sure of the numbers.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gibber16
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed in Hotel Verde Mar for 2 nights while visiting Manuel Antonio in August and absolutely loved it! The staff was excellent. The room was a very nice size, the beds were comfortable, and the air conditioning worked great. It did have a slight musty smell, but every hotel I've ever stayed at in a tropical climate does unless you want to pay mega bucks for an American chain like the Marriott or Hilton (I'd recommend against this because you loose all of the charm and culture). The hotel was in walking distance to several restaurants, a grocery store, liquor store, and the entrance to Manuel Antonio National Park. If we ever make it back to Manuel Antonio we will stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank PittLauren85
Reviewed September 1, 2013

There are many expensive to very expensive beautiful fancy hotels in ManAntonio but they are all "up the hill" and a cab or bus to the beach. This is one of the two that you could walk right out of the hotel and on to the beach. With a kitchen. At a decent price. I have been staying there 15 years. Canadian owned. Not fancy but for crying out loud you are right on the beach. People spend $75 and they want the Taj mahal. Cheap is the norm for many N Americans and Euro's.

Of course there are bugs--it's 200 feet from the surf and in a mountain range. Go find one on the beach that doesn't--you won't. The reviews make me laugh. Passport--it is the law in CR sine 2009 for them to have a copy of your passport---go find a hotel in CR that doesn't ask, you won't. Phones in the rooms in small beach hotels don't exist anymore--that's all for SJ or the gigantic so called 5 star places in the north. Who are you going to call? Your mother? At $4 a minute? Bring a cell phone like the rest of the world. It's less then a penny a minute to CR #'s., 34 cents a minute on a cell.

How anybody can complain about this location is beyond me. Why are you going to a beach town if you don't want to be right on the beach? Some wierdo's out there. Go to the mountains then you dopes.

The other decent place right on the beach there is a bit to the north, Karahe, but get the rooms on the beach side of the road. New (15 years old?) But small and no kitchen which is why VerdeMar would be my pick, and 20 bucks more then Verde Mar and no where the kind of service. Plus it's for sale so you know what that means.

Ramon has been the mgr for 7-8 years? Worked his way up from night time security guard 15 years ago. Now perfect english. Nicaruguan. He will make you happy. If possible. Geez.

Room Tip: They have a new building a few yards to the North--don't stay in those.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Dick d
Reviewed August 26, 2013

First of all, if it was not for the staff, I would have given it a terrible rating. We had several bad experiences. Our first room was (101) and as soon as we opened the door we were hit with an awful musty smell. Next, in the process of taking shower (FYI- there was no shower curtain. The bathroom had a sink, toilet and shower head that was all in open space) the shower head broke off. Due to the design of the bathroom, our room ended up with a lot of water coming out of the bathroom into our living space. Our room had four towels. Earlier we had to get four other towels for the beach. We used all 8 towels to clean up the water. When I told them at the front desk, I was asked to return all the towels. In a short time, one of the staff showed up with another shower head. I had to install it myself without tools. Due to not having tools, the shower still leaked. Next, when I went to get towels for the beach the person at the front desk said that I had not returned all of my towels from earlier. After some persuasive conversation, we got four beach towels. We left the door to our room open most of the day to get rid of the musty smell. We turned down our sheets to go to bed there were several hairs throughout the bed and the sheets were a dull white. It seemed that they were really old sheets. I went back to the front desk and they switched our rooms. The room was better. It did not smell musty and was fairly clean. Major problem in the bathroom was no water pressure and the hot water would only last a minute or two. We were happy with the staff, but would not recommend staying. This was our third visit to Manuel Antonio and will be the last time we stay in Hotel Verde Mar.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank MM2M
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Came to Manuel Antonio on a long weekend..so this little town was filled with tourists and locals. Not so fun.everywhere was booked but a really nice taxi driver helped me find this place (he has stayed here before) and they had availability. $75 for clean room, with kitchenette, right on beach and with pool. the room was clean and staff really nice and blingual. The town itself i'm not crazy about..too much of a backpacker feel and didn't feel all that safe on the public beach. too many creepy guys hanging around. totally worth going into the park for a day.
they have small restaurant serving breakfast 7-10am and may sometimes go into lunch. the hotel across street has restaurant. no fitness on site.

Room Tip: not near the pool , or the staff work room...way too noisy. pick a villa facing the beach.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank mfsu850
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband and I would thoroughly recommend staying at this hotel for various reasons. Firstly I would like to thank the incredible staff who were welcoming from the get go and they all went out of their way to help us during our stay. They booked a doctors appointment for myself, located a Italian restaurant that did gluten free food and then they ordered the food for us. They advised us on how and where to buy bus tickets to get to Panama. They then offered to hold our surfboards while we took a five day trip down to Panama. One of the hotel staff named Ana went out of her way to purchase bus tickets for our transport back to San Jose. Ana did not need to do this but she saved us a trip of having to go into Quepos to buy the tickets ourselves we were so greatfull for Anas fantastic service kindness. The hotel is very clean and comfortable. The hotel is not overly flash but the hotel is situated right on the beach with great security. Thank you again to Randal, Ana, Ramond and Georgette for your incredible hospitality, friendliness, warmness and helpfulness. I can not recommend this hotel enough after having some bad experiences with staff while travelling but this hotel exceeded all expectations. Gracias xx

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple