“Great hotel”

Ranked #25 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Indianapolis, IN
“Great hotel”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

This hotel met all of the needs of our family. We have 4 kids (10-17) so we had to get 2 rooms, but they had kitchenettes, so that saved us some money. There's a grocery store in walking distance-- it's pricey, but has some American offerings for when the kids just wanted spaghetti. The beach is right in the backyard, everything is in walking distance, there were monkeys in the trees outside, the hotel rents body boards, and we really enjoyed our stay. I gave it a 4 just because it wasn't quite as nice as the other places we stayed in Costa Rica, but I don't really have any complaints.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank crosscountryfamily

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Uvita, Costa Rica
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I recently stayed five nights at Verde Mar. It was a good experience all the way around. My room was clean and comfortable. The location is perfect on the best beach in Costa Rica! Hats off to the chef for preparing a great Lobster dinner for two. Anna was very helpful at the front desk as all hotel staff were very friendly

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Capnjeff225
Georgetown, South Carolina
Reviewed January 26, 2013

This was my second trip to Hotel Verde Mar, having stayed there in 2010 as well. It is a basic, conveniently located hotel right on the beach and within walking distance of the park. Most of the staff were very helpful. So why the poor rating?

We wanted to eat at a restaurant at the top of the hill. Since we were wary of taxi drivers who overcharge and take advantage of tourists, I asked Carlos at the desk if he could call a taxi. At other hotels where I had stayed, this was a good way to find honest, reliable transportation. Carlos said he had a "friend" who was a taxi driver. His friend charged us 4 times the rate it should have been. We walked home after dinner. After I complained, Carlos was not particularly friendly for the rest of the trip. I understand that hotels make commissions for booking tours--that is fine. But I also want to stay in a place where I can trust the staff not to take advantage of customers by setting us up with a "friend" who is ripping people off.

Then, when I was looking for a shuttle to San Jose, Carlos told us it would be a lot more expensive than we had originally been told. I walked down the street to a restaurant that booked tours. He made one phone call and booked us a shuttle for $40 cheaper!

This could be a perfect place to stay if the management did not allow a staff member to treat customers this way. (All other staff members were most helpful).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank SC_traveler392

Travelers are raving about these Manuel Antonio hotels

Landskrona, Sweden
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We found the hotel to be basic but very comfortable, we stayed for 8 nights, nice with kitchenettes so we could fix our own breakfasts, the staff were very friendly and helpful, aranged some activities for us with just 1 days notice, very close to the beautiful Manuel Antonio National Park and the fabulous beach, close to the bus stop if you want to go into Quepos which takes around 15 minutes, close to shops, supermarket and restaurants. Would definetely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Chico
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Hotel Verde Mar is a BASIC, inexpensive choice of accommodation, walking distance to to Manuel Antonio National Park. This being said, we found the rooms to be spacious and clean, and the staff was very helpful, friendly, and did what ever we asked to make our stay a good one. The little kitchen areas in each room were great! They were well equipped with dishes, pans, and coffee maker, and they were tiled in cheery yellow and blue Mexican tile. I also loved the monkey themed bedspreads and curtains on the large windows.

We were a large group, so we had all three types of rooms:
1. a room with two queen beds, a kitchen, and large walk in closet with shelves on the second story.
2. a room with king bed and kitchen by the pool (kind of loud until the pool closed).
3. a one bedroom with kitchen and sofa bed located just under the office. (This room smelled quite strongly of mold, so I would not recommend this room during the wet season or if you are allergic to mold.)

We liked the location, however the beach was so, so very crowed. We went most days to the beaches at Manuel Antonio. It was worth the $10 and the walk. We took the bare minimum... towel, water, and snacks and stayed the day.

Room Tip: Rooms by pool could be noisy in the evenings before the pool closes. Room under the office had a str...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed January 10, 2013

After looking for a suitable hotel for quite some time in Manuel Antonio, we came across this great little hotel. When I approached the hotel to inquire about rates, I saw both monkeys playing in the trees and a sloth resting in them. In fact I had been desperately wanting to see a sloth and the grounds staff took the time to find it for me when they saw how excited I was to hear that there was one in the front yard. Throughout our entire stay every time the grounds staff saw me, they would point out the sloths' whereabouts as well as other wildlife in the yard. Needless to say the grounds staff went over and beyond to make us feel welcome, and this goes for the front desk staff and manager as well. Randall and Anna were absolutely fantastic! They gave us loads of information and assistance on a regular basis. When my mom and I inquired about bus tickets, Randall actually went into the next town and purchased them for us! They honestly couldn't have been more accommodating and more pleasant! Location was a big plus for this place as well. Its directly on the beach, which was very convenient for swimming. It's pretty tough to swim at the park as you would have to leave your belongings on the beach unattended. With this hotel you can easily leave your belongings back at the hotel and hit the beach, you just leave your stuff in your room (there is a safe) although we never felt the need to use it), drop your key off at the front and you're all set! There is also a little kitchenette, a bar and fridge in the room if you want to cook, keep drinks refrigerated, and have a place to sit and enjoy a drink. As far as the rooms themselves, they're quite cute, nothing extravagant but very cozy and the decor was adorable. The rooms are decorated with monkey and coconut patterned curtains and bedspread. The shower is spacious, the water warm, and everything was very clean. You would be hard pressed to find a better room for the price. Trust me, we looked at a number of mid range places and this one was the obvious pick!

Room Tip: Choose room 209! Nicest room and best location (right next to the beach).
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Me and my wife stayed here for 2 weeks 22/11/12 until 06/12/12. The price is lower end so the hotel is basic but perfectly OK. I think the price could be negotiable too as I overheard some guests being shown around and getting a good last minute deal.

All the staff were helpful and freindly and we did a deal with the Chef, Omar, by bringing in fish we had caught which he cooked for us. Omar was a very pleasant guy and despite his lack of english and my basic spanish we got along just fine and had 3 or 4 really nice meals, the pepper steaks were the best.

While we were thet the hotel was undergoing a complete rennovation so will be all the better for any guest going from now on.

The kitchenettes are very basic, two small hotplates, a toaster and a coffee maker. But the fridge is perfect for beers coke orange juice etc. We ate in the village in the Marlin restaurant several times and always had a good meal. Costs of everything were much higher than we expected compared to all the other central american areas we have visited, a meal and cocktails for two at about $50 The shop prices were high too, $4 for 2L coke, $2 for a small beer so really about what we pay in England!

The park is very close and well worth a trip or two and we swam at the beach just behind the hotel most days.

All in all a very relaxing holiday

Room Tip: Second floor above pool
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple